Can someone complete two correspondence courses together?

FAQ | Frequently asked questions about dual studies

You haven't found all the information about dual studies on our website yet? Here we have summarized questions about dual studies that we are asked particularly frequently on one page. Maybe you will find your answer here!

General information on dual studies

Costs and funding for your studies

General information on dual studies

What is the difference between dual training and dual study?

Dual training means in-company training that is supplemented by attending a vocational school - either in blocks or twice a week. This is the classic vocational training in Germany.

When it comes to dual studies, “dual” means the combination of professional practice in the company with academic studies. The dual course of study can of course also include training (this is the case with the training-integrated model). Regardless of the study model, the dual study program ends with a Bachelor's degree. Dual training and dual studies are therefore not the same!

What is the difference between integrating training and integrating practice?

In the dual course of study that integrates training, a state-recognized vocational training qualification is acquired in addition to the bachelor's degree, which is not the case with the practice-integrated model.

Continue reading:The study models of a dual study

In which areas can you study dual studies?

Due to the great success of the dual study model, almost every subject can now also be studied dual. We have divided this huge offer into the following subject areas to show you what you can study in each case:

Continue reading:Overview of the departments and courses

Does the dual course also exist abroad?

The dual study model comes from Germany, but is now also available in a similar form in other countries. However, the search is very difficult because there are still exceptions. However, you can also gain experience abroad with a German dual course of study, e.g. at an international company, with a semester abroad or an internship abroad.

Continue reading:Dual study abroad

What does a combined course mean?

Depending on the federal state, this can mean a completely different type of study: In Bavaria, this usually means the connection between practice and theory. Above all, the courses that integrate training are often referred to as combined courses. In North Rhine-Westphalia, on the other hand, joint study is nothing more than distance learning with individual face-to-face phases. Many universities of applied sciences have joined forces and offer part-time distance learning courses under this name. Combined studies can indeed take place in parallel with vocational training, but there is no connection to the company.

Continue reading:Dual study as a combined study

StmvP stands for studies with shortened practice. This term is often found at universities in Bavaria and means a degree that integrates practice. For this course you have to apply for both the apprenticeship / internship and the university place. So you are not automatically admitted to study once you have got a job in the company.

Continue reading:Studies with in-depth practice

BA often stands for the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.), but in connection with the dual study program, the vocational academy is often meant, i.e. the academic cooperation partner with whom you attend the lectures.

Is a triple degree even better than a dual degree?

One might think that a triple degree (i.e. three-stage) is even better than a dual degree. However, this is only the case if you want to study craft management. The trial course is a special model for ambitious craftsmen who not only want to do an apprenticeship and a bachelor’s degree, but also want to acquire the master’s title.

Continue reading: Triales study

Is dual study difficult or particularly stressful?

A dual course of study is demanding, after all you have to cope with the double burden of studying and work. It can be stressful at times and is not for the lazy. Motivation and willingness to perform are important factors for academic success.

It cannot be predicted whether the study part will be difficult for you. Of course, academic studies are never really easy - after all, it is the highest level of education that can be attained. If you are not sure whether your desired subject suits you and whether the content and personal requirements suit you, you should find out more about the subject. Our detailed course descriptions can certainly help you with this.

Continue reading:Degree programs in detail

Dropping out of studies: can you drop out of a dual study program?

Yes, of course you can. But the consequences are not without, the company can demand back all tuition fees paid so far from you.

Continue reading:Abort dual studies

How do I apply for a dual study program?

You either have to apply to the company or to the university. Read our detailed article about this.

Continue reading:Application for a dual study program

Am I applying for a dual course of study at the company or at the university?

Most of the time, the application goes through the company in the first step, but the other way round is also the case. What, when to use and what the application process looks like, we tell you from the first to the last step in our application & study place section.

Continue reading:Application for a dual study program

When should I apply for a dual study program? Are there fixed periods?

With the dual study everything is different than with the classic full-time study. You should do some research and find out what you want to do as early as possible. The application periods often start a year before the start of studies, namely in the summer one year before. In this respect, the dual study place search is much more comparable to the search for an apprenticeship position. Large companies recruit a good year in advance, while some smaller companies only recruit six months in advance. Although there are still vacancies a few months before the start of your studies, you no longer have the largest selection.

Continue reading: Time planning and application deadlines: Which periods and deadlines do I have to consider when choosing a dual course of study?

Is there an age limit for dual studies?

No. At least not an official one. When you apply to the company, the company decides who gets a place at the university. You should be aware that the companies would like to train their youngsters for their own purposes. It is understandable that their target group are primarily school leavers or those who are still quite young. Obtaining a commitment can therefore be difficult at the age of 30, although theoretically not completely impossible.

Dual study after the apprenticeship?

Can I still study dual studies if I have already completed an apprenticeship or have professional experience? Of course, nothing speaks against taking up a dual course of study after you have already completed vocational training or perhaps even gained your first professional experience. The company has doubts when it comes to deciding on the allocation of a university place.

The question is: Do you have a general university entrance qualification or a technical college entrance qualification? Usually this is one of the basic requirements to be admitted to the dual study program. In special cases, you can also study dual studies without an Abitur, for example a certain professional qualification is required, which you may have. It is important to clarify this individually with the universities and companies whether your qualifications are sufficient if you do not have a high school diploma.

However, it could be a hindrance if you are already very experienced and at an "advanced" age, since companies usually want to train for their own future skilled labor needs and rely on motivated school leavers. It would also have to be clarified whether you would like to complete the dual course of study in the company in which you work or did your apprenticeship? Or do you want to start from scratch? This could of course also be reflected in your salary, as you would earn less in a dual study program than in your current job with professional experience.

Do you need good math skills?

In which subjects you should be particularly good, depends on the chosen course of study. Many dual study programs come from the business administration, finance & management, engineering & technology or IT & IT departments. The following applies to all three: Good to very good math skills are an absolute basic requirement, especially for everything that is technical. In business courses, normal to good math skills are usually sufficient.

In some dual courses of study, math skills are not rated particularly highly, for example in the social area. Other qualifications are important here.

In order to estimate how good the math skills have to be for your desired subject, read job advertisements from companies that are looking for dual students: a great way to find out what is actually required of you!

Continue reading:Free dual study places (job advertisements)

Do you need a good command of English?

Depends on. If your course of study is internationally oriented, for example in the dual course of international business, international management or tourism management, then you will also need to have very good knowledge of English. Some of the lectures may be in English. In addition, you should be prepared for an international job market.

Good English skills are also required in technology courses, because the literature here is also often written in English and new technologies are always thought of as global.

Furthermore, it is the larger companies who value foreign language skills because they are active abroad themselves. A small real estate agent will hardly require a dual student to have a good command of English, while an international industrial group requires very good English.

Can I study dual studies without a high school diploma?

It is theoretically possible, but it actually becomes difficult. We'll tell you why in our article.

Continue reading:Dual studies without a high school diploma

Is there an NC for the dual study program? Which grades are required?

There is seldom a Numerus Clausus (NC), only a few universities set a selection limit. If the application is made directly to the company, there is no specific cut to be met. However, an above-average qualification is helpful, because companies also want to see good grades.

Continue reading: NC in dual studies

Can I choose the university for my dual study course myself?

Yes and no. If you are applying to a company for a dual study program, you cannot choose the university because the company cooperates with a specific university. There is a cooperation agreement between the university and the company. If you really want to go to a specific university, you have no choice but to apply only to companies that cooperate with the university of your choice. Many universities list their partner companies on their website.

Continue reading: Application & study place

Can I also do the practical part in a company that does not offer the dual course of its own accord?

That is partly possible. This will not work with many degree programs, as companies and universities record their cooperation in a cooperation agreement and are therefore in a permanent partnership. If you are already working in a company and want to study dual studies, you could try to convince your company to introduce the dual study model and conclude a cooperation agreement with a university. However, there are also some universities that enable dual students to find one or more companies themselves, such as accadis Hochschule. In that case, you just look for internships yourself.

Can I do a semester abroad during the dual study program?

The duration of the dual study program is usually given. A semester abroad, as many students do with full-time courses, is not always planned. However, it is quite common for large companies that have branches abroad to spend part of the practical phase in a foreign branch. Some companies even offer to complete part of the theoretical phase at a university abroad. Depending on the size and willingness of the company, you can also gain experience abroad as part of a dual study program. However, you should clarify this matter before starting the dual study program - it will not be possible in all companies.

Continue reading:Dual study abroad

Do I have to move for a dual study program?

Yes, that may well be necessary. Since companies and universities are often not in the same place, you have to expect to have two places of residence. The best option is a flat share, or even better and cheaper: shared living.

Continue reading:Dual study & apartment: cheap living in the dual study

How much free time do you have in the dual study program?

If you fear that the dual course of study is not a pony farm and that free time is often neglected, you are correct. Because working and studying for a degree at the same time requires a lot of time. In addition, you have no classic semester break, but "only" the vacation that the company gives you.

A study that we carried out together with the Fresenius University of Applied Sciences shows that around three-quarters of those interested in dual study programs assume little to very little free time. And they are right about that. But it's worth it: After all, the subsequent career opportunities are above average.

Continue reading: Study on expectations, experiences and satisfaction in dual studies

Do you have a semester break or vacation in the dual study program?

No, unfortunately you do not have semester breaks like other students. If you are not in college, you spend your time in the company. But of course you can take a vacation here. Usually these are 28 to 30 days that you can use freely within the practical phases.

Continue reading:Dual study: semester break and vacation

What do A phase and B phase mean in dual studies?

In the dual study program, theory and practice alternate, often every 3 months (see time models). But if all dual students had practical phases at the same time, the universities of the dual study programs would be virtually empty. The universities divide their students into two groups, which alternate in phases.

When we talk about the block model in the dual study program, we mean a specific time model. Not every dual course of study is organized in the same way. Many companies prefer the block model, in which, as a student, you switch between the company and university in blocks of a good three months. Another popular alternative is the weekly model, which provides for one or two fixed days of the week for the university.

Continue reading: Block and weekly model: The time models of the dual study

Costs and funding for your studies

Who pays the tuition fees for dual studies?

Fortunately, it is very common for companies to pay the tuition fees. This is a voluntary service to relieve the students financially - but there is no entitlement to it!

Continue reading:tuition fee

How many taxes are deducted from my gross salary in the dual study program?

In fact, very often no taxes at all, but definitely social security contributions. In a detailed article, we explain the amount and indications of the relationship between gross and net salary:

Continue reading:Paying taxes in dual studies

Is the salary in the dual study program sufficient?

Since the amount of the salary is strongly industry-dependent, there is no general answer to this question. Example: Dual engineering students often earn 1,000 euros or more per month. If the tuition fees are also covered, you can make a pretty good living from it. Dual event management students often have to get by on a few hundred euros a month. If there are additional costs to pay for tuition fees, housing and more, there is nothing left to live on.

But the fact is that you can make ends meet with the salaries that are paid in most dual study programs. But no, you won't get rich during this time.

Continue reading:Survey among dual students: Is the salary really enough?

Can I do a part-time job in addition to the dual study program?

This will be difficult for two reasons: Firstly, you are already working to full capacity in the practical phase because you work around 40 hours a week in the company. In the theory phase, you will also have plenty to do when you attend lectures and study for exams. Second, the employer has to agree to another part-time job, which he certainly does not enjoy doing - he will fear that you are not concentrating sufficiently on your studies.Fortunately, there is a salary in the dual study program that you can usually live on for the first time.

Am I entitled to BAföG?

Yes, you can apply for BAföG. The problem: Many dual students still do not receive any state training grants. The reason is that the dual salary is fully offset against BAföG funding. As soon as you earn more than 861 euros per month (current maximum BAföG amount), you are not entitled to any payment. However, there is a "trick" how you can still get some funding, namely through the tax return. Be sure to read the following article from us:

Read more: Dual studies & BAföG - is that possible?

Dual studies and child benefit: is that possible?

That's fine. The right to child benefit exists from the first month of life until the age of 18. Under certain conditions, however, child benefit can also be approved and paid up to the age of 25. These requirements include that you are either in vocational training or studying. Even if the dual study program combines both forms, you are entitled to child benefit.

Read more: Dual study child benefit

Will I be automatically taken on after the dual course of study?

No, you can't say that across the board. But the chances are very good: Almost 80 percent of dual students receive a job offer from the company immediately after graduation. Dual graduates from our study on expectations and satisfaction with dual studies also report good career prospects.

Can I start a full-time master’s degree with a bachelor’s degree from a dual study program?

Yes, but only under certain conditions: For example, you have to clarify whether your credit points are sufficient to start a master’s degree at a university or college. If in doubt, you have to catch up on courses.

Continue reading: Dual or normal master’s degree after a dual bachelor’s degree - is that possible?

What is a high school graduate education?

A high school graduate education is a special training program specifically for people with a university entrance qualification. In addition to a regular professional qualification, you will also acquire an additional qualification, e.g. as a commercial specialist and thus qualify yourself for responsible positions in your training company.

Continue reading:High school graduate education

Was this text helpful to you?

4,66/ 5 (Votes: 73)

To ask? Ask us your question about dual studies in the comments!

Do you have any questions about studying?

4 weeks ago


I am interested in a dual degree in engineering & technology. Good grades in mathematics and physics are required for this. However, there was no physics class at my school as there was no appropriate teacher. I can acquire the missing knowledge, but is there a way to prove this in an application? Are there tests or courses where knowledge is queried and graded?

3 weeks ago

Answer by: Catha from the team

Hello, dear Ella,

that you didn't have a physics class during your entire school days is shocking, but shouldn't be interpreted to be detrimental to you. For proof of this, it is best to contact the student secretariat of your former school. For them it shouldn't be a problem to write you an informal letter that you could not be offered a physics class. In addition, it is advisable to ask one of the providers / universities whether this is problematic for your desired dual study or whether there are other ways to catch up with the knowledge. For example, a free preparatory course in math and physics is often offered at universities.

Otherwise, the Hamburg universities offer an unofficial test with which you can check your own knowledge of physics:

Unfortunately, we were unable to find an official placement test such as the one used to check a foreign language level.

We keep our fingers crossed for you and wish you every success with your further study planning!

last month


I am currently attending the BFS and will complete an apprenticeship as a clerk in office management as well as the general technical college entrance qualification.
Since I already have the practical part, the dual study program can be shortened. So instead of 6 semesters 4 or so?

last month

Answer by: Answer by: Christina from the team

Hello Madona,

some universities or courses of study are generally ready to take into account learning outcomes from initial vocational training. However, there are also universities or courses of study that generally reject the crediting of learning outcomes from initial vocational training. In this special case, please contact your future university, which can give you more detailed information.

Good luck with your studies!

March 2021


Is it possible to start another degree after completing the dual degree, for example medicine?

March 2021

Answer by: Christina from the team

Hello Kati,

Of course, after your dual studies, you can start another degree in another area. There is nothing wrong with reorienting yourself. Sometimes it takes a little longer to find out what you really like.

I wish you every success, no matter what you choose.

March 2021


First of all, thank you very much for your efforts.
I will finish my Abitur in two months and would like to do a dual course of study. Since I have already missed the application deadline, I would like to ask whether there is an option to do a dual course of study afterwards after matriculating (e.g. after the first 2 or 3 semesters).

March 2021

Answer by: Christina from the team

Hello Muinami,

You can of course study a few semesters before starting your dual study program. Please note, however, that the semesters you have studied beforehand do not automatically lead to a reduction in your study time in the dual study program. If you already know where you want to complete your dual study course, then you should definitely contact the responsible student advisory service, they can give you all further information.

I wish you all the best for your studies!


February 2021


Is it possible to do an unpaid internship during the dual study program in order to get to know other areas? (BA social work)

February 2021

Answer by: Carla from the team

Hi Laura,

You can do a free internship during the dual study program, provided that neither your work nor your theoretical phases are impaired. You also need the approval of your employer. Because: Your employer can prohibit you from doing the internship on the grounds that it affects your work performance. If you want to do the internship while you are on vacation, your employer may argue that you are not getting enough rest, which is the whole point of vacation. Make sure to address the topic before you start an internship.

Good luck with your studies!

January 2021


I started an apprenticeship and dropped out after six months. At the moment I am studying vwl and would switch to bwl Dual after the second semester and this in the same company as the training. Can I then start straight away in the third semester, since I have already completed my time in the company and have this credited to me, or do I have to start from scratch?

January 2021

Answer by: Jasmin from the team

Hello Sophie,

I would recommend that you contact both the university you want to study at and the company where you have already started your training. They can certainly tell you exactly to what extent your vocational training can be credited.

All the best for your studies!

December 2020


I am doing a dual course of study in which I work at 8pm and have two days at university a week.
Unfortunately, I only get a small allowance that I can't make ends meet and would like to start a € 450. Although I'm lucky enough to still be able to live at home, I have some expenses due to e.g. cell phone and club fees and unfortunately the expense allowance is often not enough. However, I am not eligible for BAföG / it would not be worthwhile.
Is this possible and will I then move to a different tax class?


December 2020

Answer by: Simone from the team

Hello Melissa,

In principle, it is possible to do a 450 euro job alongside your dual studies if you have the time. However, you should clarify a part-time job with your employer in advance, not all bosses think it is good if their employees have another job.

With a part-time job, you won't slip into a different tax bracket. However, you may have tax deductions if you still earn extra money. Your tax-free amount in 2020 is 9,408 euros per year; if you earn more, you have to pay wage tax.

Good luck for the future!

September 2020


I've almost finished my dual studies. I will most likely have all the results of my bachelor's degree before the official study period, which is also regulated in the training contract, is over. However, I have the results for the time being without a real certificate. My question in this regard would be, when will I be entitled to a corresponding salary? From the day after the last passed exam or according to the date specified in the training contract? Thanks in advance.

September 2020

Answer by: Jessica from the team

Dear Edgar,

in this case, it depends on what you have contractually agreed with your company. In the case of a dual study program, it is more common that not all degrees are obtained at the same time. If you have not yet completed your training, it is actually the rule that you continue to receive your training allowance. We would recommend that you finally clarify this question with your employer.

We wish you continued success!

August 2020


I am planning to apply for a dual study place in 2021 and have already sent some applications, although some application deadlines are until December 2020 and I have to overcome a few instances in order to be accepted (admission tests, etc.). The dual study program is my favorite, but I could also imagine a classic full-time study as an alternative, as a kind of "security" if I don't get a dual place for 2021. But how does it work with the application? Can I apply for a full-time study place now? And if that should work, what do I do if I get an acceptance from a university, to be on the safe side, and then find out later that I also got a dual study place, which I prefer to study full-time?

September 2020

Answer by: Jessica from the team

Dear Bella,

As a rule, you can register for most full-time courses at state universities from 01.12. until January 15th apply for the following year. There can of course also be deviations. At private universities, the application periods are often very individual. So you should find out exactly what the specific application deadlines look like at your chosen universities.

If you want to enroll in a full-time degree program first to be on the safe side, it is best to contact the respective student advisory service in advance. She can then tell you explicitly how you can best proceed.

We wish you every success with your applications!

August 2020


Hello, I would like to do a dual degree in Germany. I did my Abitur in Germany, but now I live in Switzerland. My place of residence is right across the German border. Can I still start a dual course of study in Germany without moving? For the theoretical phases, I would rent an apartment near the university. Will I then also be taxed twice?

August 2020

Answer by: Sophia from the Wegweiser-duales-studium team

Hello Alicia,

a move is usually not absolutely necessary. The student advisory service at your chosen university can advise you individually on this.

The question of whether you will be taxed twice in your case cannot be answered across the board because various factors play a role. We therefore recommend that you contact the tax office of your place of residence with your request.

I wish you success!

August 2020


I have a question: As a non-EU citizen, can I apply for a visa for dual studies? If so, do I have to apply for a work or study visa?
I have already been accepted at a dual university and have been invited to an interview.
Thank you for helping me.

August 2020

Answer by: Sophia from the Wegweiser-duales-studium team

Hello Emev,

As a non-EU citizen, you usually need a national visa for longer study visits. It is best to find out more at the German embassy or consulate in your home country to be on the safe side.

We also recommend that you contact the student advisory service at your university. They usually have contact persons there for matters relating to students from non-EU countries.

We wish you all the best for your interview and of course for your dual studies.


June 2020


I'll be doing my Abitur next year, but I've already found a place in the company for dual studies and I've been accepted. My question now is what happens to the contract and dual studies if I might not pass my Abi next year. Is there then the possibility that the company might want to wait another year for me or how is that regulated and what can I, as a student, do as a plan B for dual studies? What can my alternative be?
Thanks in advance for the reply

June 2020

Answer by: Jasmin from the team

Dear Anna,

It's nice that you have already been able to get hold of a place for your dual study program. The best way to clarify the question of what happens if you fail your Abitur with the company itself. They can certainly help you further.

Under the following link you can find information that a dual course of study is also possible without an Abitur:

We wish you all the best for your Abitur and your professional future!