Modern technology will replace books
Reading on vacation: e-books are no substitute for books
When I pull the book off the shelf and open it, it crackles familiarly. Grains of sand trickle out between the pages, and for a moment I feel transported to the beach on Ko Chang, where I slammed it last year after reading it. A couple of Thai baht bills fall out too, which I forgot in there. I think it was a great trip.
“I only have one e-book reader with me, because I have access to millions of books and almost no weight,” a blogger colleague recently told me, “super practical!” Yes, of course, I thought, but “practical” - is all that?
Do I want to voluntarily give up this freedom in the limited time that I can spend without a screen in front of my nose, without breaking news and status updates, without searching for sockets and charging cables? No thanks.
The lack of options in a book is very valuable: reading. Scroll further. Read. No "Oh, I'll try another one quickly, with millions of books there is definitely a better one", no "Oh, an update!" - just the book and me.
What distinguishes books from blog articles
Sure: As a travel blogger, I am familiar with the advantages of modern devices and the Internet. I am able to discover good stories and special tips in other blogs, collect them and use them for my trip. But digital things pass so quickly that I almost feel scary. Only when someone takes the effort to bring something into the analog world does it have the chance of a certain persistence.
- Is poverty necessary in a capitalist economy
- Is the age difference between us okay?
- What are the base points in economics 1
- Subsidized bread is a giffen good
- What are some IT outsourcing trends
- Why are modern women becoming more and more aloof
- Do leggings affect the uterus 1
- What is the greatest paradox of vengeance
- What is real Indian cuisine
- Will Clash of Clans harm my children?
- When would President Trump begin to deport Muslims?
- How to Recover Deleted Photos from Instagram
- What is your traditional dressing style
- Which keyboard should I buy
- Is currency devaluation ethical
- How much are vets paid
- The British think America is gigantic
- What did you understand too late?
- Originally Japanese were black
- Men work hardest
- Why should one use the binary number
- What do economists think of income taxes?
- You should be chasing recruitment consultants
- How can minors fly alone internationally
- Why are fractures common in the elderly
- How often do you say thank you
- What exports is Pakistan famous for?
- Why should bedroom curtains match
- Why is there child labor
- How do most dentists get new patients
- Is Kalasalingam better than Saveeta
- How did smoking affect your teenage life
- Why are Chinese products banned in India?
- Febreze actually neutralizes odors