Can I get fired?
When does the employer terminate the contract?
The employer can terminate the contract for various reasons. They lie either in the person of the employee or outside of himself.
If an entrepreneur wants to dismiss employees, he is under labor law bound by numerous legal regulations. First of all, here is that Dismissal Protection Act (KSchG) that states the conditions under which workers may be fired.
And also in Civil Code (BGB) there are some clauses that concern the termination of the employment relationship - e.g. B. which notice periods are to be observed.
In addition, the termination of certain persons or groups is written down in further, separate legal texts (Severely Disabled Persons Act, Maternity Protection, Vocational Training Act etc.) In this context, experts speak of the special protection against dismissal to be observed. Read more about this in this guide.
For what reasons can supervisors initiate a dismissal?
What reasons for termination can an employer cite?
In companies that regularly employ more than ten full-time employees, comes the legal one Protection against dismissal to carry. However, part-time employees are also taken into account, but with a factor (Section 23 (2) KSchG):
- they work up to 20 hours a week you will receive the Factor 0.5
- at a Weekly working time up to a maximum of 30 hours, they will be with 0,75 calculated
- from 30 hours applies to Factor 1
If a total of 10.25 employees work in the company, entrepreneurs must comply with the Dismissal Protection Act. Trainees are excluded from this count. They have no relevance in this context.
If these conditions are met, the labor law provides for the employer that he may only give notice of termination for three different reasons.
The employment relationship can be terminated by either contracting party for good cause without observing a notice period if there are facts on the basis of which the terminating party, taking into account all the circumstances of the individual case and weighing the interests of both contract parties, can continue the employment relationship until the end of the notice period or up to the agreed termination of the employment relationship cannot be expected. "(§ 626 BGB Paragraph 1)
The operational dismissal
A termination of the employment relationship allows the labor law even if the termination for operational reasons he follows. These have to go through their urgency and are not the only pitfall in the event of a dismissal by the employer. Further reasons for the operational dismissal must also exist in order for it to be effective:
- the The employee's job is permanently lost
- a Continued employment of the employee is not even at another workplace possible
Termination for operational reasons: You will only receive severance pay if the notice of termination is formulated accordingly.
The operational termination is with a Social selection connected.
That means: If an employee is to be dismissed, is Weighing up from a social point of view who has to go first (§ 1 KSchG).
The employer may therefore only terminate the contract if the following aspects have been adequately taken into account:
- Length of service with the company
- any maintenance payments to be made
- present severe disability
Since this type of termination is not due to misconduct on the part of the employee, no prior warning is required. The following also applies to operational dismissals: The notice period results from the statutory provisions (§ 622 BGB), optionally also from a collective agreement, the employment contract or a works agreement.
The legal basis:
The personal termination
The personal termination can be due to illness. It is not as easy to enforce as is commonly believed.
Ordinary termination by the employer can also take place if certain reasons inherent in the person of the employee himself cause him the is no longer able to provide the service guaranteed in the employment contract. This is for example one Termination due to illness the case. However, strict guidelines apply here, after all, discrimination against sick people should be avoided.
For a termination due to illness to be effective, employers must meet three requirements:
- negative health prognosis: It is likely that his health situation will not improve in the future.
- Impairment of interests: The absenteeism has a detrimental effect on the company's interests, e. B. due to operational disruptions
- Weighing of interests: Before employers can terminate an employee because of frequent illness, the interests of both contractual partners must be weighed against each other.
Only if all of the points speak in favor of the termination by the employer, the decision on this reason for termination is effective.
The behavioral termination
An employment relationship can be terminated if a Employee culpably and seriously violated his contractual obligations. He can be accused of repeating:
As a rule, a warning is issued before the discharge, in which the Superiors reprimand the exposed behavior and threatens to take more stringent measures such as dismissalshould it occur again in the future. But one can behavior-related termination even without a warning respectively? In principle, yes. Such a procedure is in accordance with the law, if the employer does not have to expect that a complaint would lead to a change in the behavior complained of.
Does a termination always have to be in writing or can the employer also give verbal termination? § 623 BGB prescribes the written form for terminations:
The termination of employment relationships by notice or termination agreement must be in writing to be effective; the electronic form is excluded. "
This is how a template for the letter of termination to the employee can look like
If the employer terminates the employment relationship, your boss or supervisor will hand you the letter either in person or by mail. The termination from the employer follows a pattern that usually looks like this or similar.
Name of employer
Company street and house number
Postal code and city First name and surname of the employee
Street and house number
ZIP code and location
Place and date
Termination of the employment relationship concluded on [day, month, year] (sample) <
Dear Ms / Mr [name of employee],
With this letter I terminate the employment relationship between us from [day, month, year] to [day, month, year] in due time, alternatively at the next possible point in time.
With best regards
signature of the employer
Signature of the employee
Notice of termination received on: ________________________
More interesting guides
- What are China's main imports and exports
- Should be single in your 20s
- How does the YouTubes recommendation algorithm work
- The music industry underpays its artists
- How did Oliver Emberton become so wise
- Why are social values important
- What does it mean to become a firefighter
- Secret service agents can be summoned
- Is Bell Canada related to Bell Labs
- All US passport holders are US citizens
- Will religion replace science?
- Will China collapse in 2026
- Why doesn't my dog growl at anything
- What is your MBTI 1
- What are the main philosophies of ethics
- Causes Morgellon's euphoria
- Is it good for teenagers to date
- East German scientists have experimented on children
- Iranian men practice polygamy
- How exactly does the Indian economy work
- How many hinges are required for doors?
- What was the mining boom
- What do Americans think of Asians 1
- White guys make Asians
- Why do babies wake up so early
- Where can I find companies for sponsoring
- Is Delhi safe for foreign women
- Which money transfer app is international
- Have a unique vacation tradition
- The light-skinned North Indians are Aryans
- What is the Ram Nandan Committee
- Why do some cockroaches fly
- Can you describe your job in detail