When do most people wake up?
Biphasic sleep Sleeping through the night is a modern invention
When nobles, large farmers or plantation owners complained about the lack of work ethic of their workers, the sources often suspected the bad character of the lower folk, says Ekirch. "Totally wrong. The problem was that they did not get enough good sleep. I am convinced that large parts of the early modern population, especially workers, were chronically sleep deprived."
Artificial lighting ended biphasic sleep
With the sudden growth of artificial lighting, people's sleep behavior changed dramatically. As a result of industrialization, candles first became much more available and gas lanterns lit the streets outside. The invention of the electric light bulb finally gave artificial light its complete breakthrough. Now the time in the dark can also be used productively.
Instead of going to bed at nine or ten o'clock, families in urban areas in particular stay up until eleven or midnight. However, you still have to get up at six in the morning. So they sleep less and get more and more tired as the day progresses until they go back to bed late. Therefore, you can now sleep through the night. By the end of the 19th century, the second sleep had practically disappeared.Professor Roger Ekirch, historian
Biphasic sleep has been shown in experiments
Unfortunately, there is little evidence as to whether there was biphasic sleep in other regions of the world, says Ekirch. Some travel reports would have mentioned biphasic sleep in Cylon, now Sri Lanka. There are also reports of this kind for the indigenous people of Australia. Some peoples in Africa and South America are said to have slept through the night.
However, there are still relatively young, experimental studies that show that people develop a biphasic sleep pattern again under certain conditions. For example, Thomas Wehr's team at the US National Institute for Mental Health reduced the lighting time for test subjects to a maximum of ten hours a day. After about three weeks, her sleep became biphasic.
- Where can I study crystallography?
- How did the Mongols convert to Islam
- Reading books is out of date
- Why is Ruth's Chris Steak so good
- Is capitalism inevitable
- What if people were birds?
- How do I get civil engineering jobs
- Which is the best fish to eat
- What does retail experience mean
- Who ruined Yusuf Pathan's career
- What if I'm good for nothing
- What is happiness in your life
- What is the Best Free Online Bible
- What are the differences between cities and villages
- What happens after pregnancy
- Babies need discipline
- What makes a woman aroused
- Why do the Chinese think they are smart?
- Can married Christian couples use sex toys?
- How can you deal with personal challenges
- Which consulting firms hire JDs
- Leads Lenovo Motorola to its death
- Beauty is not enough What really attracts someone
- Is there something wrong with BTS Jungkook