Which animal has the saddest expression?
Straw makes pigs look happy
GÖTTINGEN How does the agriculturally ignorant consumer perceive the keeping of animals in stables? A study has looked at the question.
by Steffen Robens
In a study, scientists from the Universities of Göttingen and Bolzano examined how consumers perceive photos of animals. In an online survey, they showed 1,019 Germans photos of a happy and a seemingly unhappy pig, each retouched in a stable with straw litter or with slatted floor. When evaluating the study, it became clear that the condition of the stable has the greatest impact on consumer perception.
The pig in a stable with straw litter is perceived more positively than a pig on the usual slatted floor. “In comparison, the straw barn is rated as much more natural and animal-friendly. The pig's happy or sad expression doesn't change that, ”said the lead author Prof. Dr. Achim Spiller from the Department of Agricultural Economics and Rural Development at the University of Göttingen. The slatted floor, on the other hand, is always perceived as very problematic. A stable that is perceived as positive is not rated worse, even if a "sad" pig is standing in it with its head bowed and ears hanging. The results will help to understand how the public rates animal husbandry systems.
The study was published in the journal PLoS ONE and can be viewed there in English. The Federal Agency for Food and Agriculture funded the study as part of the project “Social Lab - Farming Animal Husbandry in the Mirror of Society”.
Source: agrarzeitung.de / dfv media group
- What is your worst moment
- Why is the Delhi Metro not completely underground?
- Where can I buy Asian art online
- Is the impeachment investigation an attempted coup
- How is the automotive market doing
- How was the impeachment of Bill Clintons
- Are loyal partners in a distant relationship
- How do I fix a broken family
- Why are Australian boys shy
- What do you love about gospel music
- Can cause semen leakage after urinating
- How did the people cook before the oil
- Do you like your name
- Difference between service tax and income tax
- How One Can Avoid Being Materialistic
- What are the functions of a firewall
- Can I use croutons for bread pudding?
- Why do teachers treat their students unequally?
- Whose hard work inspires you
- What jobs do private offices have
- Have you ever met god
- Difficult times are coming
- Why is baguette so difficult to chew
- How about Scotland whiskey