Why do I have a heavy heart
Enlarged Heart: Causes and Symptoms of Heart Disease
As a result of a pathological enlargement of the entire heart, the pumping capacity decreases sharply. Important organs such as the brain, kidneys or muscles are no longer adequately supplied with oxygen and nutrients. Find out when the heart muscle can grow and howan enlarged heart covering the entire bodyimpaired.
Normally the heart of a healthy person weighs around 300 grams, but overload and certain illnesses cause the heart to grow abnormally, so that it has to use significantly more force to pump the blood into the body.
If the heart weighs more than 500 grams at some point, the coronary arteries can no longer supply it with sufficient oxygen. The efficiency of the heart decreases - it thickens and enlarges.
Definition: An enlarged heart is when the heart muscle is abnormally enlarged (cardiomegaly).
Too big heart: possible causes
The underlying causes of a heart that is too big are usually:
- Valvular heart disease
- Heart failure
- high blood pressure
- chronic anemia (anemia)
- Nutritional deficiency
- excessive physical exertion (athlete's heart)
Why is an enlarged athlete's heart not dangerous? An enlargement of the heart can also be observed in athletes, because the heart also adapts to the sporting loads. But that's not dangerous. In an athlete's heart, the heart enlarges, but its performance also increases at the same time. In the case of a pathological thickening of the heart muscle, on the other hand, only the heart becomes larger - the performance of the heart decreases. In addition, the heart of endurance athletes does not weigh more than 500 grams.
Taking cardiomegaly symptoms seriously
In some people, an enlarged heart leads to symptoms such as:
- shortness of breath
- Water retention in the legs
- to cough
- Chest pain
- increased urination at night
- severe weight loss
Diagnosis by ultrasound or EKG
If the heart is enlarged, there is a risk of heart diseases such as cardiac arrhythmias, heart attacks or chronic heart failure. According to the German Heart Foundation, almost two million people in Germany suffer from heart failure - 50,000 die from it every year.
It is therefore important to see a doctor at the first signs and symptoms. With the help of an ultrasound examination or an electrocardiography (EKG), the doctor can determine whether there is really a thickening of the heart muscle. If the person concerned does not experience any symptoms, the large heart is often detected by chance on an X-ray.
Treatment of heart disease
Treatment for an enlarged heart depends on the underlying disease. Methods include diet changes, exercise, medication, medical interventions (cardiac pacemakers) and operations (for example corrective heart valve surgery, bypass surgery).
Important NOTE: The information is in no way a substitute for professional advice or treatment by trained and recognized doctors. The contents of t-online cannot and must not be used to independently make diagnoses or start treatments.
- Why is my diving mask blurring
- What is Walmart's dress code for customers
- What is the largest non-profit organization
- Why does TikTok make teenagers addicted?
- How many Americans live in Australia
- What is ERS on an F1 car
- Have coal powered steam engines
- What is meant by proof of employment
- Are half Asians hot 1
- Who makes their own bouquets
- What if you die in your sleep
- How do point-based immigration systems work
- Which investments did not crash in 2008?
- How are good journalists paid
- What does it mean to study literature
- Which broker has the best trading platform
- People with ADHD enjoy reading books
- When can Salatul Hajat be performed
- Restaurant staff eating leftovers
- How is the night life in Botswana
- Smells like a miscarriage
- Why has Facebook become unpopular with teenagers
- Are the Netherlands a friendly country?
- How much are environmentalists paid
- How is life in communist countries
- How does God define marriage
- Why do you use a humidifier
- How long does a perfume bottle last
- Where should I move in Portland?
- Why are Beyond Meat Burgers so expensive
- When did Ireland become a tax haven?
- How is data stored in a database
- How do Taiwanese see mainland China