How can I expose a manipulative teacher
bettermarks »Math book» Data and chance »Data and chance» Descriptive statistics »Manipulations
Here you will find out how to read and interpret diagrams or pictograms correctly and how to recognize manipulations in graphical representations.
Manipulative display of diagrams
With diagrams, pictograms and graphs you can present data series clearly. You can better derive correlations, trends or conclusions from these representations. However, the facts can also be falsified by a graphic or give the viewer an impression that does not correspond to the facts :
Measurement accuracy: An overly precise specification simulates a non-existent exactness.
A type of manipulation that is often used is the zero shift on the y-axis.
A few days ago, Lukas wrote a difficult thesis in mathematics. When he takes a look at the regional newspaper, he sees an article and is amazed:
Symbols (so-called pictograms) that match the topic are often used in the presentation. A common mistake here is that for values of different sizes, not only the height of the pictograms is changed, but also the width.
The table shows the percentage distribution of employees in Germany across the various employment relationships.
If statistics are evaluated by specifying percentages, it depends on which base value is used; if an incorrect base is used, the percentage values can become extremely large or extremely small.
Ms. Müller reads the following in a brochure from a pharmaceutical manufacturer:
- Is the service fee taxable?
- What is a digital family tree
- How safe is Dubai for Indian girls
- How can empaths find true love
- Samwell Tarly had a dark side
- Why did you choose your cat
- Does marijuana affect your sense of smell
- How many theories of evolution are there now?
- How intelligent is a house cat
- What does God say about self-righteousness
- Is required in India population control
- Why is my whole family so rude
- What are the best museums in Asia
- Why is Qatar Airways the best airline
- How do you personally deal with life
- What animals eat alligators
- People should be prohibited from keeping pets
- Why is money puffing up
- Who inspires you to be great
- Is currency deflation such a bad thing
- How hard does Masahiro Tanaka throw
- How does monetary policy affect the economy
- What are travel plans
- Who usually uses a virtual office