How is life in Yemen now
"Death sentence for hundreds of thousands" in Yemen
The United Nations is very concerned about the US government's decision to put the Houthi rebels in Yemen on its terrorist list: "We already have big problems without the classification. The classification will be catastrophic. It will literally be a death sentence for Hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of innocent people in Yemen, "said the head of the World Food Program (WFP), David Beasley, before the UN Security Council in New York.
Fear of sanctions
In the severely impoverished civil war country, 70 to 80 percent of the citizens live in areas controlled by the Houthis. Important aid projects and the import of aid goods could now be severely impaired, delayed or stopped entirely because international organizations fear legal consequences or sanctions from the United States. The decision of the Trump administration must be reassessed, "and frankly, reversed," stressed Beasley. The American is a member of Trump's Republican Party.
UN Emergency Aid Coordinator Mark Lowcock tweeted: "It could be the drop that is breaking the barrel in Yemen." Now the threat is "not just a small famine, but a really huge one".
In the north and west of Yemen they dominate almost all areas of daily life: Houthi rebels (archive)
In Yemen, a Saudi-led military alliance is fighting alongside the government against the Houthis, who in turn are supported by Iran. According to political observers, the main aim of classifying the Houthis as a terrorist organization is to complicate the future US President Joe Biden's policy on Iran. There are no indications that the Houthis would be weakened militarily as a result, it is said.
UN mediator Martin Griffiths also told the Security Council that he was "extremely concerned" about the peace process in Yemen because of the US decision. There would "inevitably have a deterrent effect on my efforts to bring the conflicting parties together".
wa / rb (dpa, ap)
- Why do American politicians care about the environment?
- What is arrogance
- How can I get a money slave
- Are loyal partners in a distant relationship
- What are French cuffs called in French?
- Is Albania a third world country
- Why do I shiver when I'm excited?
- How are the income tax brackets calculated
- What is an injection molding machine
- How did your name affect your life
- What distinguishes western culture
- The royal family name belongs to which caste
- What is the future for QA professionals
- What are some side dishes for biryani
- How do anthropologists study
- Spoil today's generation
- What makes a lazy teacher?
- Do you like french food
- Will we ever solve problems with highway traffic?
- How do anacondas kill jaguars
- What happened to Al Gore
- What are the uses of biofeedback
- What is Tesla Motors
- Fighting gay couples
- What happens when you cook vinegar
- Should I study at the open university
- Who should I avoid in my life
- Broke Nancy Pelosi Donald Trump 1
- How can friends benefit your health
- What is life without life
- Is Romania a business-friendly country
- Girl what drew you to your boyfriend
- Does the Starbucks headquarters have a Starbucks inside
- Will there be laptops in 20 years