How do household products affect the environment?
Sustainability in everyday life - this is how you live environmentally conscious
Sustainable to Life doesn't have to be heavy or expensive. In this article you will find out how easy it is to integrate more sustainability into your everyday life.
Sustainability in everyday life - what does that mean?
in the To live everyday life sustainably means - simply put - one's own actions and the associated effects to consciously rethink. And with the goal negative consequences for people and the environment to avoid, to keep the world alive or even to make it better.
A Sustainable everyday life is not an expensive luxury and can also be implemented by people on a budget. Just by critically questioning our consumer behavior, there are many opportunities to live more sustainably.
Like you Shopping plastic-free is a bit of a challenge, but certainly not impossible. You can find out how to do this in this article.
Sustainable products in the household
There are many simple things you can do to improve your Budget more sustainable to design. There are many products that support you and that are durable, sustainable and natural - simply beautiful!
Our top 3 sustainable household products:
- Vegetable nets for taking away and storing fruits and vegetables
- Cutting boards made of bamboo - instead of plastic
- Reusable coffee filter - for sustainable coffee enjoyment
1. Vegetable nets in a 3-pack by Yummii Yummii
What we love about this product:
- Reusable & washable
- High quality
- Made from organic cotton, which requires less water to manufacture than conventional cotton.
- Ideal to take away - but also for storing fruit and vegetables.
- Saves a lot of plastic bags or plastic containers!
- Price 16 euros for the 3-pack | available at Avocadostore.de
2. Cutting boards made of bamboo from Bamboo Forest
What we particularly like about this product:
- visually much nicer than plastic boards!
- practical set of 4
- particularly resource-saving, as bamboo is a fast-growing and compostable raw material.
- lightweight, antibacterial and hygienic
- produced under fair conditions!
- Price 34.99 euros for the set of 4 | available at Avocadostore.de
3. Sustainable coffee filter from Avoid Waste
What we particularly like about this product:
- less waste!
- very good aroma and perfect coffee enjoyment, as all nutrients and oils are extracted during brewing.
- easy to care for and virtually endlessly reusable!
- extra wide base - fits most cups or mugs.
- looks classy!
- Price 18.80 euros | available at Avocadstore.de
By the way: In our article Zero waste - life without wastecan you experience how you Plastic waste in your householdsave on can.
Sustainability in everyday life - living
We probably use a lot of resources when cleaning, washing ... and because we generally "burn" too much energy. But many everyday helpers or furniture can also be more sustainable.
To the sustainable consumption also belongs economical behavior - in this way you not only save energy, but also a lot of money. Here are a few simple tips on how you might be able to do this better in the future.
- Heat properly
Just one degree less saves six percent in energy. If you regulate the thermostat from 24 to 20 degrees, you will still be comfortably warm, but you will save around a quarter of heating energy.
- Bathing less, showering more
A full bath is of course great and can also be. Of course, taking a shower saves a lot of water and heating power - it's best to turn off the water when lathering!
- Switch off standby mode
Your devices also consume energy in standby mode. It is best to install power strips with a foot switch - so you can switch everything off at once.
- Cooking with a lid
It couldn't be easier: Simply put a lid on the pot or pan. Saves more energy than you think. You can often end the cooking process early! Switch off the stove earlier and, for example, leave potatoes or rice to stand for the last few minutes without power.
- Switch to green electricity
Green electricity is of course better for the environment and sometimes even cheaper. Here it can be worthwhile to compare the prices.
Clean and wash ecologically
- cleaning supplies
How about yours Cleaning products out? Real chemical clubs are often hidden here, which are harmful to your health and the environment. You better sit down biodegradable detergents - in all areas of your home, especially in the children's room.
Ecological cleaning products you can easily make it yourself - for example from natural ingredients like vinegar and lemon. In our article 5 tips for less chemistry in everyday life can learn more about it.
- Fill the dishwasher full
So that the dirty dishes don't get in the way, they are often quickly put into the dishwasher and quickly turned on. In most cases, it is not properly allocated or fully utilized. Better to fill it up properly and let it rinse everything at once. The saves a lot of energy = electricity, but of course also water.
- to make the laundry
Nowadays nobody has to wash at 60 ° C or 90 ° C. Even at a much more environmentally friendly 40 ° C, everything is guaranteed to be clean. In the case of difficult stains, you can pretreat the affected areas with a little vinegar water beforehand.
- Everyday helper
Many of the everyday objects end up in the garbage after being used once. Maybe that includes cotton pads, make-up removing tissues, handkerchiefs, baking paper and kitchen paper for you? All of these things can be done with washable resp. reusable alternatives replace.
Washable ones are available in the cosmetics department of every drugstore or health food store Make-up removal wipes. You can get through kitchen paper Cloths for cleaning purposes Replace - maybe you still have old towels or T-shirts to sew on. Cloth handkerchiefs are not only more beautiful, they can also be used for many years. They can usually be found in every major department store or in unpackaged shops. Baking paper is also easy to replace - the online portal smarticular has great alternatives ready.
Sustainable furniture & home accessories
You can also make many things sustainable when it comes to furnishing your home:
- Do without tropical wood!
- Buy used furniture on eBay Classifieds and your city's classifieds market. Vintage is much nicer than buying everything new!
- Fair and sustainable products to buy. A good address for long-lasting products is, for example, Avocadostore.de
- Often it is enough To borrow things. Drill, circular saw or canning machine - does not have to be bought new. Just ask your friends, the nice neighbors or take a look at platforms like Leihdirwas.de.
Book tip: pure & simple, live mindfully - live better
An inspiring book for everyone who want to live naturally and live mindfully. “Less is more” is the focus of this housing guide. Purist interiors that do not appear overloaded and their residents who live mindfully and deal sustainably with their environment. Furniture and home accessories that convey durability and value.
Price: 30, - Euro | i.a. available from amazon
Sustainability in everyday life - food
Certainly you can - what yours Shopping and eating behavior concerns - here and there too Save resources or proceed more sustainably. of course is always make a very good alternative yourself: Plant milk, spreads, almond cheese ... There are so many things that you can make yourself at home and without a professional kitchen. It's fun, costs less and saves a lot of resources.
As a Zero waste kitchen works and what you can do while cooking to protect the environment, you can find out in this article.
Meal Planning | Meal prep
Targeted shopping means throwing away less. Meal plans sounds stuffy? But is smart!
- Prepare meal plans for the week in advance and buy exactly what is needed for the planned meals.
- Buy products that are easy to store (grain, onions, potatoes, canned food) in advance.
- Fruits and vegetables should be bought more often and in smaller quantities.
- so you no longer buy "food to go", which is usually expensive and unnecessarily packed.
- large quantities of rice, quinoa etc. can be pre-cooked for a few days.
- Apps like Food Planner or the Cooking Planner App are helpful!
Don't throw anything away
Get creative - you can also conjure up something delicious with leftover food!
- Turn leftover vegetables into soup.
- Boil the vegetable skins, ends or stalks for a vegetable broth.
- Leftover food (from soup or vegetable dishes) can be turned into a quick spread.
- Always have tote bags, pouches or rucksacks with you!
- With little money you can buy organic groceries if you shop more carefully and thus throw less away!
- Buy fruit and vegetables in season.
- Go shopping at the weekly market, in the farm shop or unpackaged shop.
- Make use of offers in the health food store!
Sustainability in everyday life - the small actions count
- Separate rubbish properly
It sounds so simple, but separating rubbish properly has to be learned. For example, your Tetra-Paks belong in the yellow sack and not in the paper waste…. This explains particularly well, among other things. also your local garbage disposal company. But there are also enough instructions on the Internet that explain which garbage belongs in which bin. NABU, for example, makes this very clear.
- No advertising stickers
A simple no-advertising sticker will keep the postman from dropping advertising leaflets in your mailbox.
- Replace batteries with rechargeable batteries
- Intermittent ventilation instead of tilting windows
It is better to ventilate completely several times a day for ten minutes and turn off the heating than to leave a window tilted for longer.
- Good coffee instead of capsule waste
Coffee capsules are popular, but they are garbage and expensive. Better to buy less organically grown and fair trade coffee for this.
- Drinking bottle instead of plastic bottle
Invest in a nice stainless steel drinking bottle that you can always take with you and fill up with tap water.
- Take away food
Better to enjoy in your own container and with your own cutlery.
- Sustainable bathroom
Use hair and body soap instead of plastic or microplastic products. Swap the toothbrush and hairbrush for alternatives made of wood and bamboo.
Living sustainably has many aspects. Small changes in everyday life can already make a big difference and relieve the environment enormously. The only important thing is: thatTo begin do not forget!
There are many areas that you can use in your start sustainable life can: food, living, household, fashion and cosmetics, etc. It is best not to turn everything inside out at once or throw away things that may still be usable for other purposes.
Probably the most important question for a more sustainable life is: Do I really need this?
Not to buy is an extremely sustainable decision. Because: The most sustainable is still the product that is not even made!
You might also be interested in these articles:
Advertisement because this article partly contains affiliate links or was created in cooperation with a partner. With your purchase you actively support the work of Deutschlandistvegan. We thank you!
- Why is MG Hector good for Indians
- How should the foreign tourists be treated?
- How are math and art related?
- Is construction management a good career
- What Portuguese food should travelers try
- ADHD gets worse with age
- Can I start a certification authority after the 10th
- What's so wrong with traditional life
- How does a Chinese work in Germany
- How do dreadlocks smell
- What is SAG Stop
- Change is constant in life
- How to eat horseshoe crabs
- What is Canadian Etiquette at Work
- Combat tactics What is a move
- What is the relationship between teacher and student
- What skills should every adult have
- Is true wisdom to know that you don't know anything
- How clean is your street
- Which foods contain complex carbohydrates
- Is Portugal a country
- How is a Moroccan breakfast
- Why do all celebrities use iPhones
- Why are hearing aids important
- What does permanent position mean?
- Is coleslaw a salad
- Who created the caste system
- Narcissists hate being ignored
- Indians are part of the Asian race
- What are quaternions 1
- What can we learn from teenagers
- There are project lenders worldwide
- What is an electronic check payment system