Why does my cat stink
Important to know: If the cat is eating normally, it does not necessarily mean that everything is okay. Most of the time, the animals also eat when their mouth hurts. Cats are masters at hiding their pain.
Inflammation of the gums (gingivitis)
Inflammation of the gums, also called gingivitis, can also be associated with bad breath in cats. Usually the mucous membrane on the edge of the teeth is red and swollen. Bleeding gums are also a possible symptom.
In addition to tartar, the following triggers for gingivitis are possible:
- Injuries from foreign objects such as blades of grass
- Inflammation of the tooth supporting system (periodontitis)
- Infections caused by bacteria or viruses
- Tumors in the oral cavity
- Organ diseases (e.g. kidney failure)
How is gingivitis treated?
One component of the treatment is to remove the cause of the inflammation: foreign bodies stuck in the gums, for example, are surgically removed, and infections are treated with the appropriate medication.
In addition, you can get rid of the symptoms in the mouth, for example with painkillers, anti-inflammatory drugs or special mouthwashes.
For detailed information about causes and treatment options, see the article Inflammation of the gums (gingivitis) in cats here in the zooplus magazine.
Broken teeth, holes or ulcerated tooth roots often cause bad breath in cats. The dental disease FORL is not infrequently responsible for damaged teeth. Experts estimate that around half of all cats are affected.
What does FORL mean?
FORL is the abbreviation for "feline odontoclastic resorptive lesions". Put simply, the teeth are decalcified from the inside out and slowly dissolved by the body's own cells, the odontoclasts.
The insidious thing about FORL: Because the teeth are attacked from the inside, the holes are usually not visible from the outside. The cat still has a toothache.
Diagnosis and treatment of FORL
In some cases, FORL is associated with inflammation of the gums. However, only an X-ray of the teeth under general anesthesia provides real certainty. The vet then has to pull the ailing walkers.
- How cool is your grandmother
- Why can't I comment. Comments are forbidden
- How often do you outsource your work
- Korean men meet black women
- Do workers really get minimum wages
- Why do people use turntables
- Where can I get a professional copywriter
- How is dust removed from the carpet
- Is secret drinking an alcoholic behavior?
- How am I supposed to say okay in German
- Why are modern women becoming more and more aloof
- Indian Muslims actually practice Nikaha Halala
- Why can't people stop expecting
- Do I hire PAC people
- How do you predict bond angles
- Female Kaengurus are born with a pouch
- What is your highest level of education
- What is RFI in procurement
- Which SNES game has the best graphics
- Why is China Hostile to Foreign Companies?
- Do you like london
- Would you give someone money
- Who built the city of London
- What happens in season 1 of Supernatural
- Can you eat fruits with brown rice
- What are some misunderstandings about Poland
- How to make a fishing rod
- What activities can I do every day
- Does the red pill work
- Why do some people like to exclude others
- What is active service in the army
- How wheelchair accessible are Japanese cities
- Why do narcissists try to imitate others
- What qualities make engineers good management consultants?