Can you eat too many green beans?
Are Raw Green Beans Poisonous?
Yes, raw green beans (= French beans, French beans) are poisonous to humans. The protein is to blame for this Phasin, which sticks red blood cells together and thereby hinders the transport of oxygen in the blood.
Symptoms of intoxication usually appear a few hours after consumption. They range from nausea, vomiting and diarrhea to bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract and, in the worst case, are fatal.
The sensitivity compared to Phasin differs from person to person, as does the Phasin content from bean to bean. It is therefore possible that small amounts of raw green beans are tolerated without symptoms. But I strongly advise against trying it out.
For Infants and young children Phasin is particularly dangerous.
How do you neutralize Phasin?
By heating, e.g. B. cook in boiling water.
Cooking time so that the beans are still crisp:
- in water: approx. 10 minutes
- fry in the pan: approx. 15 minutes
- stew in water or broth: 15-20 minutes
- steam: approx. 20 minutes
Additional knowledge: Phasin is also found in other legumes, such as soybeans and chickpeas. Therefore, you should never eat them raw, but always heat them up beforehand. Peas are an exception. They don't contain phasin - you can also eat them raw.
Do you have a question that you would like a short answer to? Then write to us!
Reading tips from the editors:
Cover picture: SevenCooks
- How can you manage the sunset with dementia
- What are the advantages of direct taxes
- All Canadian cities are freezing cold
- Who is the father of jesus
- Is it worth doing surveys
- Which countries use voting cards
- Is silt soil suitable for cultivation
- What are the best headphones in 2019
- Who originally built the Venice Beach Canals
- How dangerous are motorcycles
- Will YouTube give us a salary
- How much is HR paid
- Which religions were presidents
- What actions restricted the rights of immigrants?
- Why do children beg on the street?
- How is scoliosis diagnosed
- Has someone stayed single all their life?
- What if you never grew up
- What is pride
- What do you like about being big
- Are Indians racist
- What are the advantages of a language
- How online home-made food delivery works
- How's a bad sour trip
- Damage fabric softener to a washing machine
- How did you get into playing the piano
- How bad are croissants
- Why are antiques important
- Where do billionaires keep their cash?
- Can you prove the discrimination against employment candidates?
- Why are you in a gang
- What is the richest tribe in Nigeria
- Do you like japanese girls