What is the idea behind the social network
Allow entry or not?
Accompany you when you get started.
Accompany your child in setting up the profile and in the first phases. Think together about which data should be published and how the network should be used. Check your child's online presence again and again, especially in the first few weeks. If your child allows it, you can also make friends online and get an insight into the current activities of your child.
Make yourself smart.
What are children and young people doing in social networks? What are they used for and where are the possible risks? Explore the networks together with your child and get smart. You may also be able to use this knowledge professionally - let yourself be surprised.
Be and stay the contact person.
Sharing the life of your own children, appreciating their actions and interests, this also shows children that their parents are interested in them. This is an important prerequisite for children to turn to their parents with confidence in problematic situations.
Respect children's privacy.
Even if children usually appreciate communication with their parents when they first start using social networks, there will come a time when they distance themselves from their parents online. Let the kids go this way! Accept that your children no longer want to be dependent on you.
Be prepared for an emergency.
If problems arise in a social network, children need reliable and competent contact persons. As parents, it is not always easy to assume this role: It is often shocking for them to find out which language, content and tone of voice belong to the children's world. Parents have to stay calm here and give the children support. Take a deep breath and consider objectively what to do next. Take your child's side, even if you don't always approve of their behavior. If your child decides to reach out to you, they have likely suffered for a while.
If you are not very familiar with using social networks yourself, it can help to ask the children directly. Also see these discussions with your child as part of the relationship work. Don't judge your child for following a YouTuber whose language or content you find terrible. Instead, try to understand your child's fascination.
No accept the kids.
It is not uncommon for parents to be active in social networks even before their own children. There is a temptation to publish pictures of your own children as well. Be very cautious about this and don't do this without the children's consent. Even small children usually have a clear opinion about this. Be a good role model and take them seriously!
Questioning online acquaintances.
Your child will repeatedly come into contact with people on social networks whom they would never have met offline. That is almost impossible to prevent. It is therefore important that your child is able to assess such people. Your child must also know how to defend themselves if they are blackmailed or get into other critical situations. Agree with your child on rules for possible meetings with such an online acquaintance: only in the presence of an adult, in a busy place where there are many people.
Question the truthfulness.
Often there is content in social networks that turns out to be false ("fake news"). Practice with your child how they can assess content themselves. Pictures are also particularly important here. Children and adolescents can be influenced quickly, especially through pictures. Not infrequently, however, these are taken out of context, edited or alienated.
- Who made the best water purifier
- The free WiFi provider uses our data
- What are the community resources in education
- Why are front squats so hard
- What exactly does a materials engineer do
- Why do leaves fall from trees
- Who suffers when inflation has risen
- How can you become a freelance copywriter
- TVS Motor is a multi-excavator
- What is the worst place to live
- Why do some people dislike Iggy Azalea
- What is the thalidomide tragedy
- What should I eat in Hawaii
- Where would you invest in Africa
- What is your iq
- Why did Moses flee Egypt
- Is Elvis Presley dead or alive?
- Did our ancestors collect things
- Will the US economy collapse again?
- What surprised you to be in prison?
- VK is different from Facebook
- Which areas are a good investment in Chicago
- Save money
- Which country has the safest food supply?
- What were Stalin's political views
- How do managers resolve employee conflicts
- What is the best New Zealand history book
- Is race biological
- Why was kabuki created
- How does a rotating aircraft engine work
- Life in Florida is so amazing
- Why do Filipinos like to eat jollibee
- Why is it important to help the environment
- Is dream11 real and safe