How do I check the analysis of a competitor's website
Competitor analysis: With these basics you have a perfect overview of your competitors
Since the SERPs are a dynamic structure and use many different factors for rankings, it can always happen that competing websites slip past you. It is best to be prepared and conduct a competitive analysis on a regular basis. Here you can find out what is important.
Who is “my competition” anyway?
A very simple definition of "competition" for websites is to view all websites as competitors that rank above your own page for relevant search terms. The fact that this definition is not really practical is due to the fact that there are a large number of websites that will rank in front of you and the analysis of these pages would require so much time that you can no longer optimize your project.
You can include these websites in your competition analysis:
- Relation to product groups: If you run an online shop, there are basically all competitors who offer the same products and product groups as you.
- same branch: Of course, your competition includes companies that are active in the same industry.
- same services in the same place: If you offer a service or products in a certain place, all companies with the same portfolio in the same place belong to your competitors. An example: If you run a carpenter's workshop in Munich, all other Munich carpenter's workshops are your competitors.
Now, in a second step, you can check which keywords belong to your central key terms with which you want to achieve top rankings. Top rankings are positions 1 to 3 in the Google SERPs. They promise the most impressions and clicks and therefore the most traffic.
So: All companies that rank for your most important keywords in positions 1 to 3 as well as in a broader area on the first results page on Google should be taken into account in your competition analysis.
It is important that you already know which rankings are particularly important to you. The more precise your own SEO goals are, the better you can identify potential competition.
This is how you find your competition
Searching for competitors online is very easy and does not necessarily require a corresponding tool. All you need is google search. There you enter your most important search terms and note down the best-ranking websites on the first search results page.
You can now use these domains for the competition analysis. If you do this research more often, you will sooner or later discover new websites that did not rank so well before. You should definitely keep these in mind when analyzing the competition. Because sometimes new competitors can develop here, who, depending on the degree of optimization and marketing activities, can quickly gain visibility in the SERPs in other of your target segments.
Important SEO data of your competitors
When you have now made a list of your competitors, the next step is the detailed analysis. To keep the work clear, your list should not contain more than ten competitors. In principle, you can proceed in a similar way to analyzing your SEO competition as you would when analyzing your own projects. After all, in both cases you want to find out where the strengths or weaknesses of the respective websites lie. The following aspects are then important:
Good rankings are essential for websites to get traffic. Whether the users are qualified is initially irrelevant. Only the positions count. To find out the rankings of your competitors for your relevant keywords, you can do a simple Google search again.
Incoming backlinks can tell you a lot about the strength of the website in question. Therefore, you should also check the incoming links of the competitor URLs. There is a free backlink checker at seo-united.de, for example. These rudimentary link checkers are usually completely sufficient for a competitor analysis.
The OnPage quality of your competitors can be checked in many aspects. A first look should be at the meta title and heading structure. Here you can quickly see how well it has been optimized. With the extension for Google Chrome "SEO Meta in 1 Click" this data can be displayed quickly. For a more in-depth analysis, you can also use the Google extension Lighthouse. For the detailed analysis of individual URLs, the individual page analysis from Ryte Website Success is also ideal. In the FREE version, you have five analyzes per month at your disposal to familiarize yourself with this topic.
You can initially check the content quality of the competitors manually. Just go to the relevant page and look for clusters of spelling or grammatical errors. Are there blurry pictures? Are graphics displayed cleanly? Is the content easy to grasp because there are meaningful paragraphs and headings? Ultimately, no tool can help you with all of your questions when assessing the quality of the content. Here you have to trust your own judgment when analyzing the competition.
Is your competitor active on social networks? This check is relatively easy, because you can simply look at his profiles on Facebook & Co., if there are any. Social media also includes blogs or corporate blogs that may be used to generate traffic.
Researching your competitors' traffic data is only possible with the help of various tools. SimilarWeb and the Alexa Website Traffic Statistics are ideal here, for example.
Consequences from the analysis
- Can't I just adopt or improve aspects of the competition? The analysis of your competitors showed you where your competitors stand. You will also notice things that higher ranked competitors do better than you. Now check whether you want to or can take over some things.
- How good is my content compared to the competition? If you notice that competitors with better rankings use significantly more extensive texts and, for example, use high-quality images, one consequence for you can be, for example, to expand your texts and also to rely on high-quality images.
- How good is my backlink structure compared to the competition? High quality backlinks are still an important part of successful websites. Strong backlinks can make all the difference, especially when there is high pressure of competition and competition for highly competitive keywords. If you see disadvantages for your site here, you should rethink your backlink structure. We have explained to you in a blog post why buying links is not a good idea. However, one key to good backlinks is clearly high quality content that people enjoy sharing.
- How good is my website OnPage and how well is it technically optimized? In order to control the technical optimization of your website, Ryte already provides you with all the necessary reports. The OPQ can also help you to check the optimization progress.
Illustration 1: Ryte's dashboard shows a quality indicator, the OnPage Score.
Derive measures and then check important KPIs
After the competition analysis is before the competition analysis. If you have already derived optimization measures from this, it is now important to regularly check these optimizations using various KPIs. These include:
Google Analytics, the Google Search Console and tools like Ryte will help you monitor your website.
Illustration 1: Ranking changes with Ryte Search Success monitor
It is important that you also continuously check where your competitors are. It is also advisable to keep track of who is still competing for your keywords. This is how you can also find competitors that you haven't had on your radar before.
Another advantage of regular competitor analysis: You can not only see what your competitors are doing better than you, but you can also see which mistakes they have made, for example if their rankings in certain areas drop sharply or abruptly.
No surprises with regular competitor analysis
Nothing is worse than a deadlock when optimizing websites. Continuity and quality should therefore be your two most important maxims. With the competition analysis, you get additional input for this. At the same time, you are encouraged to reflect on your own optimization measures again and again in order to react promptly to new requirements from Google.
In all analysis, it is important that you never just copy ideas from other websites, but adapt them to your requirements as best as possible and set your own accents. Your goal should always be to offer the best technical website with unique content in order to provide users with real added value and a perfect user experience.
- What do employees mean for a company?
- What is ICEX
- Is considered middle class
- The rich have a better life
- Eating GHEE is healthy or unhealthy
- What is the negative impact of deforestation
- Russians don't like Ukrainians
- Can I travel with an empty suitcase?
- Does capitalism encourage hoarding of resources?
- How safe is Faridabad for girls
- What is an underrated party meal
- How important is Kerala to India
- Indians are part of the Asian race
- Why is Louisiana still naming county councils
- What are the best books about life
- How do you say that people live
- Will all debts ever be paid back?
- What is your MBTI 1
- Love increases longevity
- What's wrong with this Generation 1
- What should I have for dinner tonight?
- How do I stop a toothache right away
- TDS is deducted from EPS payout
- How are sellers paid