France would benefit from fewer civil servants
Hanisauland: Lexicon @todo: from Preprocess
The ruler needs money
In the age of absolutism, i.e. between the 16th and 18th centuries, the financial needs of the rulers changed. The newly formed standing army, the growing number of officials and the representative palaces of the rulers cost a lot of money. Therefore, the rulers tried to influence the economy in order to get more state income. This type of economic policy is called "mercantilism" (derived from the Latin word "mercari", which means "to trade").
The goal: to strengthen economic power
In order to strengthen the economic power of the countries, many goods should be sold abroad and as few goods as possible should be bought abroad. In order to achieve this goal, high tariffs were imposed on imported goods, i.e. goods that came into the country. Above all, cheap raw materials were imported, which were then processed into expensive goods in manufactories - an early type of factory - and then sold abroad. In order for the economy to function better, uniform dimensions for coins and weights were introduced.
Jean Baptist Colbert
One of the most famous exponents of mercantilism was the French finance minister, Jean Baptist Colbert. For the first time in history he introduced the state budget, which kept a record of France's income and expenditure.
Different forms of mercantilism
Each country developed a particular form of this mercantilism. In Germany, for example, special emphasis was placed on strong financial strength and an increase in the population. In some countries, such as France, trade and industry were greatly encouraged, but at the same time agriculture was severely neglected.
For experts: In technical terms, German mercantilism is called "cameralism".
FAQ / Frequently Asked Questions
(Frequently Asked Questions - this is the English translation of "frequently asked questions")
your further questions ...
- Why do people have different hair colors
- Did you help a stranger with money?
- What is the best souvenir from Taipei
- What does Giriyom mean in Turkish
- What's your iPhone wallpaper today
- Can I live on a million dollars
- What are occupational health hazards
- Jesus Christ lived for many years
- How can I get citizenship in Kuwait
- How does diabetic urine smell?
- What does the Bible say about itself
- What made humans the first domesticated animals
- Which French colony was the most important
- How can we promote a universal brotherhood
- Why should we give work to freelancers
- Can you share something funny today
- How do you seal untreated wood
- How many hours do web designers work
- How did BlackPink get so famous?
- What is the importance of the preservation of cultures
- How do i do a tv show
- What is the Qin Dynasty
- How do I stop stealing lingerie
- Indian women like muscular men