Why does mold grow on food
Why do bread and other foods go moldy?
It is annoying when bread that has only been half eaten shows mold. Put it in the organic waste. This can also happen with many other foods. Because the spores of mold are ubiquitous.
In the air and on surfaces
In principle, all foods can go moldy sooner or later if they have a certain level of moisture and are not preserved. Mold spores are everywhere: in the air and on all kinds of surfaces. They thrive best at room temperature. Molds can also be found in large numbers in forests, for example. The typical forest smell in damp, warm weather comes from them.
Mold needs moisture
Molds are slow. Therefore, you will hardly find any moldy meat. This is where the bacteria beat the fungi. Fungi prefer what bacteria largely spurn. Since mold needs some moisture to grow, completely dry bread, for example, will not mold. This is why the well-known Tyrolean Schüttelbrot or flat bread can be kept for a long time without it becoming moldy. It's rock hard and dry.
Fruiting bodies do not reveal anything good
Even foods with a high sugar or salty content do not go moldy. For example honey or pickled anchovy fillets. Molds like foods that contain carbohydrates. This is why undried bread and other baked goods that contain moisture tend to become infected with mold.
If the fruiting bodies are visible as "mold", the food is already permeated by the mycelium, the mycelium. Since molds produce toxic substances that are suspected of causing cancer or allergies, the food in question should be disposed of without further ado.
- Where do successful people get their lunch?
- How can I kill bad breath
- What causes urinary incontinence in women
- What are some tips for borrowing money
- How to boil kettle water
- How was Kurt Cobain personally
- What are legumes
- What are some movies like Monsters Inc.
- Which is considered rude in Ireland
- Why don't some people wash their hands?
- Is it worth living together before marriage
- Music can change emotions
- People who don't like to learn, why not
- Singapore is experiencing a brain drain
- What percentage of the world speak Portuguese
- Which money transfer app is international
- Men can wear skirts in public
- Diabetics can drink unsweetened papaya milkshake
- Generations get worse over time
- Who can sell products on Snapdeal
- What makes Jimin so important to BTS
- What is the Chinese word for sweet?
- Which are the best-selling business books
- Why are alcoholics thin