What's your rating of Fortnite
Fortnite Battle Royale - Tips and information for parents
The online game "Fortnite Battle Royale" is currently very popular with many children and young people. Due to the rather childish-looking comic graphics, the survival shooter looks comparatively harmless at first glance. However, parents should pay close attention as the content is unsuitable for younger children.
What is fortnite
The digital game “Fortnite” currently includes two game variants. In the paid version, a fort (= fortress) must be built with other players in order to protect the last human survivors from zombies. Far more popular, however, is the secondfree variant, called "Fortnite Battle Royale”. At first you will be thrown over a lonely island with up to 100 other players. On this it is now necessary to find weapons and resources in order to survive as long as possible. The players have to kill each other and the last survivor or the last team wins the round. armed force is the only option for action, but contains “Fortnite” no detailed violence scenes. In the game itself there is no blood flowing and there are no corpses.
Since March 2018 the mobile version of the game for smartphones and tablets and it can be assumed that the hype about “Fortnite - Battle Royale” will continue.
What age is Fortnite suitable for?
The game "Fortnite" is released for children from the age of twelve - the one behind it PEGI rating however, only refers to the content of the game. For example, it does not include in-game communication via the In-game voice chat. The Independent self-regulation (USK) has also released the original game "Fortnite" for a fee from the age of twelve. The free game mode "Battle Royale" is not checked by the USK because it is only available online. The Spielberatgeber-NRW recommends that the game mode "Fortnite Battle Royale" is suitable for young people aged 14 and over at the earliest, even if the main game "Fortnite" is released from the age of twelve. The conclusion of the educational assessment is: "Despite the great distance to reality, it is a survival shooter, which deals with unsuitable content for younger children and can be too nerve-wracking for sensitive players. Older young people can classify the event as a fictional game."
What should parents know about Fortnite?
- You have to create an account. In order to play Fortnite, your child must create an EPIC Games account. To do this, you have to enter an email address and choose a name. It is not asked how old someone is.
- You play against other players of all ages. Since Fortnite is an online game, your child will compete against players of all ages worldwide. It is not possible to choose who will be played against.
- Chatting risks. During the game, users can chat via text and voice chats. This can lead to cyber grooming or cyber bullying.
- There are in-app purchases. The game itself allows the purchase of virtual currency, so-called V-Bucks. This can then be used to buy virtual items such as outfits, new victory dances or access to weekly challenges. However, these items and functions are not absolutely necessary for gaming. The additional packages currently cost between € 9.99 and € 99.99.
- There is animated violence. In Fortnite, the players fight each other - the animation of these scenes of violence is comic-like and does not require blood. Still, it's important to be aware that the goal of the game is to kill each other.
What can Fortnite be played on?
"Fortnite Battle Royale" is currently available as a free download for PC, Mac, PlayStation and XBox and is currently being rolled out for smartphones and tablets. The game has been available as a free download for newer iOS versions since April. A release for Android devices is expected in the next few months.
- Talk to your child. Look out for the right opportunities to talk to your child about what they're doing online. Ask your child why they're playing Fortnite.
- Agree on rules. Talk to your child about how they should act online and how they should respond to inappropriate content. Communication in chats and rules for in-app purchases when gaming should be discussed in particular. Also agree on how long your child can play. A good guide: a round in “Fortnite” lasts between 10 and 20 minutes. The online tool media usage contract, for example, can provide assistance in determining usage times and rules.
- Play with your child. That may sound unusual, but to get better with the game and e.g. B. The possibilities of reporting other players to be trusted is a good possibility.
- Learn how to report assaults. In Fortnite, players who behave inappropriately can be reported via the game menu. Teach your child this knowledge.
- keep Calm. Take your worries seriously and speak to your child about them. Don't forget that digital gaming alone doesn't make you violent.
Text largely taken over from Saferinternet.at with the kind permission of Childnet International.
more on the subject
- Why is under cooked steak rarely mentioned
- What are the best novels about love
- What are the examples of triangular pyramid
- What are the computer graphics tools
- Why is Northern Australia sparsely populated
- Will Ed Boyden win a Nobel Prize
- Who loves more girls or boys
- What will the next boom industry be
- What is your interreligious love story
- Love bites are possessive
- How does road construction cause traffic
- What or who lights you up
- Why is the far right so angry
- How do you know if you are bilingual?
- How does New Zealand deal with immigration
- Flight attendants flirt with passengers
- When will I be successful 1
- What is the effect of overpopulation in India
- Is YOLO a drug
- What do you smell now
- How is New Zealand for higher education
- Is Kerala overrated as a tourist destination
- At what age do boys produce
- Why did Anthony Bourdain hate Guy Fieri