What is the strictest elective in high school

The American schools


With the permanent stationing of American troops, the citizens of Augsburg could not only perceive the presence of soldiers, military vehicles and an unfamiliar life activity in the western urban areas. As a result of the large-scale construction of housing estates from 1951 and the planned influx of soldiers' families, children and young people soon revived the streetscape in western "Little America". The ethnic diversity of the Americans ensured an unfamiliar internationality in the post-war city, right up to later. There were not only uniformed soldiers from various US states, but also entire families with their native way of life.

With the construction of the Centerville Housing Area became one in 1953 - south of today's Bürgermeister-Ackermann-Strasse Dependent Elementary School(Elementary through 6th grade, too grade school called) with two preschool kindergartens. The school (building 528, architect: Paul Gerne) had all the conceivable amenities of American life and school culture, especially spacious rooms. As early as 1955, another wing of the building had to be added in the western part. In 1967 makeshift buildings were built again, followed by a large new elementary school building in 1977 Cramerton Housing Found a replacement (building 581). This was due, among other things, to the increased number of regular and professional soldiers with family members after American conscription was suspended in 1973. In the most school-intensive 1980s, up to 1,500 children were in primary school. The American elementary school students behaved very disciplined after the end of class: they stood in rows of two in front of their classrooms and marched without words to their respective school bus.



The schools in the Augsburg community: 1 = Elementary Centerville, 2 = High School, 3 = Elementary Cramerton.
Beginning of Elementary School in Centerville, 1953
The reading and library room.
One of the classrooms.
4th class 1973/74.
5th grade 1980
5th grade 1989/90
The entrance area of ​​the Elementary School in Centerville South.


1955-56 the new one was built on the southeast corner of the Reese barracks augsburgAmerican high school (AAHS) for grades 7 to 12 (architect: Wilhelm Wichtendahl), then also as Dependent high school guided. For a long time, it was said to be one of the leading American schools outside the USA and also took in children from the US locations in Landsberg, Ulm and Leipheim. In the 1980s, 50 teachers, school employees and 750 young people were teaching here. In the end, the number of classes dropped to under ten students. Equipping them with computers and networking them with various databases was a matter of course in America from an early stage. This school (building 591) also underwent considerable extensions in 1961 and an interior renovation in the mid-1970s. The obligatory American flat roof with a bitumen roofing felt had to be replaced by a watertight sheet metal roof in the 1980s.

The high school was divided into one Middle school, junior high school and the real one Senior high school with grades 9 to 12. It corresponded to a three-quarter day school with meals and afternoon classes. The class terms were also using "Freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors" titled. The High School Diploma could, depending on the test profile, be compared with a German secondary school diploma or high school diploma. However, this was not sufficient for attending a German university; a German Abitur would have been required.

The part-time activities included in particular sporting activities, but also cultural, technical and musical-intellectual subjects (clubs). Traditional US sports such as American football, basketball and baseball have traditionally played a major role.

The school atmosphere was characterized by strict American control discipline on the one hand and the casual American way of life, which is mostly unfamiliar to Germans, on the other. The relationship with the teachers was relaxed and informal, without any authoritarian mechanisms, but nonetheless respectful. The students were distributed according to the respective subjects and not according to class groups in the German style. Before classes began, however, the classes (grade) a teacher-free meeting held in a separate room. The integration of disabled children was essential. Since the teachers had fixed classrooms, the spatial equipment could mostly remain unchanged. Relationships and partnerships with German schools were quite common, e.g. from 1982 with the Jakob-Fugger-Gymnasium in Augsburg. At the beginning of 1963, the US school band "The Creatures" played loudly at a German-American carnival party in the gym of what was then the secondary school (now Peutinger Gymnasium). Mutual class visits were reported as early as the mid-1950s.

The presence of the American schoolchildren soon showed the natives that they had a high social protection and status. The transport between housing estates and school, which was carried out with the army’s own school buses, illustrated the Americans' awareness of safety, but also the self-sufficient community life. For a long time it was incomprehensible to the German understanding of traffic that none of these buses was overtaken (by American cars) at bus stops. Many years later, however, a civilian school bus driver still remembered the provocative and undisciplined behavior of some older students, especially in the final phase of the US presence. Here the generation conflict existed equally on both sides of the country.

The schools were only free for the children of the active members of the army. As soon as soldiers left the army, or for the children of civilian employees, a lot of school fees had to be paid, even if they stayed on site.

The final classes of the "Apaches" (this is how the school names itself) produced an annual yearbook on the school club activities, in which every pupil was also shown with a photo. The graduation ceremonies (graduation) were made with the familiar blue capes and doctoral hats (caps and gowns).



Title page and inside of an Apache yearbook.
Portrait pictures from the 1986 yearbook.
Pictures from the 1971 yearbook.
Scenes from a high school classroom, 1971.
Music and singing as artistic subjects, 1970/71.
Crafts lesson
Graphic art
American Nonchalance of Student Life, 1986.
Student Councils in Augsburg
School trip in 1971 to the Bismarck Tower near Steppach.
The school bus is waiting.
Break scene before high school, 1970s.
Leisure time at the German-American fair opposite the high school.
Female beauty pageant 1971.
The Apaches enjoyed their own "beer filzels".
The Apache high school gymnasium, Reese Barracks.
In May 1976 the boxing champion Muhammad Ali attended the Augsburg Elementary School, among others.
Graduation 1978, Reese barracks.
Schoolchildren at the Reese Recreation Center.
Learning for life, also in Augsburg.
Turning point: The high school closes in May 1998.
Out of service: the Augsburg American High School (AAHS).
A memorial stone is located on the green verge of the parking lot.


At the time of the escalating arms race, there was also an influx of many family members in the Augsburg area from the beginning of the 1980s (“Reagan years”). With the reduction of large combat units in favor of the military intelligence service (Field Station Gablingen), the personnel structure of the troop contingents present also changed. Among other things, this led to a special training program at the Augsburg High School, the JROTC.

JROTC stands for Junior R.reserve Officer Training C.orps and is a government-funded elective training program that has existed since 1916. It includes pre-military training, as well as military history and civics classes in high schools. The students there wear uniform one or two days a week. The corresponding sleeve badge for Augsburg, which represents the school's mascot (Indian head), was released for official wear on November 20, 1984: "Strength, Courage and Wisdom", so the slogan. To date, approximately 75% of officers in the U.S. Army and the majority of the generals.




In the spring of 1992 the branch of the University of Maryland their campus from the Munich McGraw barracks to Augsburg. This educational institution, which began in Munich before 1950, was set up for the children of members of the army and government employees stationed in Germany and Europe. College level could be attained here on evening courses. At least 400 students were expected at Reese Barracks in the summer of 1992. But as early as 1994 the facility moved to Mannheim, thus highlighting the beginning of the closure of the Augsburg location.


Reese Building 46 as Maryland University's first accommodation location.
The two university pavilions at the former Labor Service camp.


For American children and adolescents, the Augsburg stage in life means a special lasting memory, as can be seen in social networks today. Even decades later, Americans from Augsburg, the former "Apaches ", back to their former school, which left unforgettable traces of life in them.

(The first Elementary-School in Centerville South still exists today - modernized and impressively designed - as a primary and middle school for the catchment area of ​​the former U.S. Housing areas. In place of the demolished elementary school in Cramerton, there is now a church community center. The high school was converted into a center for the hearing impaired).

Numerous pictures were made available by the schools' Facebook groups.