Can a capitalist government ever eradicate poverty?
Analysis of capitalism and criticism of capitalism
Capitalism, as Schumpeter said, is a “machine of mass production, which inevitably also means production for the masses.” Whatever one might think of this system: No other economic system solves the problem of providing the population with more and more consumer goods to take care of, better. As it stands, however, the increase in prosperity is accompanied by material inequality, fluctuating levels of unemployment and constantly recurring economic crises. First, the article turns to the main features of modern capitalism. In a second step, the change in shape of capitalism will be discussed. Subsequently, the polyphonic criticism of this economic system is examined. It was not only social criticism, but also cultural criticism. The article closes with an outlook on the future of this economic system and outlines conceivable but unlikely reforms, the realization of which would lead to an economic form beyond the existing one.
Introduction • Basic features of modern capitalism • Phases of capitalist development • Capitalism under criticism • Future perspectives
The target groups
All those interested in economic and social policy • Lecturers, students of economics and social sciences
From 1989 to 2004, Johannes Berger was Professor of Sociology at the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Mannheim.
Authors and affiliations
- 1. Faculty of Social SciencesUniversity of MannheimMannheimGermany
About the authors
- What is the current population of Turkey
- Do you know Chinese novels
- Red Bull is taurine harmful
- Can you take enemas every day
- Empty is a feeling
- What is direct and indirect subsidy
- Between geometry and trigonometry, which is more difficult
- How are fixed costs important
- Is Facebook uncool with younger people?
- Why is childcare becoming too expensive?
- Why do we learn music in school
- How do I lie without getting caught
- What problems were there in Victorian times
- Are Italians from Guinea
- Where can I buy Asian art online
- Women like to wear fully fashionable socks
- Is racial discrimination legal in New Zealand
- Differences in assets or liability
- Where is Christmas Island located
- Can ladies sing Medha Suktam
- What is the best usb bluetooth module
- How important are soil tests
- What is the poverty line in India
- Why is ground beef so expensive