Why is Greek yogurt called Greek yogurt
When can yoghurt be called “Greek yoghurt”?
According to the Food Information Ordinance, foods must be labeled with a list of ingredients. I have a "mild Greek style yogurt" (mild yogurt, 5% fat) without a list of ingredients. Is it common for "natural yoghurt" not to specify any ingredients (e.g. if it was made only from milk and cream), or is this inadmissible? Are there any special regulations?
And to what extent can a yoghurt be called "Greek yoghurt"? Are there typical features of Greek yogurt that must be adhered to (e.g. fat content below 10%, or increased protein)? The increase in protein content plays a role in the original Greek yogurt. Is this legally possible for goods manufactured in Germany, for example by powder or draining?
Milk products such as natural yoghurt do not need to have a list of ingredients if, apart from milk, only the milk ingredients, food enzymes and microorganism cultures necessary for their production have been added to them. This is stipulated in both the Food Information Regulation and the Milk Product Regulation. This means that yoghurt does not need a list of ingredients even if the fat or protein content has been increased through the addition of milk powder. From our point of view, this is not very consumer-friendly. Dairy products should, without exception, have a list of ingredients if they are made from more than one ingredient.
The term “Greek style yogurt” is not legally protected. In the opinion of the European Commission, these and similar formulations indicate a product "which, due to certain manufacturing processes, has a thick, creamy texture." An increase in the protein content by adding milk powder is legally possible and, as mentioned above, does not have to be specially labeled become.
By the way, things look different for the term “Greek yoghurt”. Here the EU Commission is of the opinion that the consumer expects yoghurt made in Greece here.
- Why am I such a bastard
- How do I become a bureaucrat
- Fight all married couples
- Which English accents are similar
- Why do most DJs use Apple MacBooks
- Is BBA from VIPS good
- How do I execute a Python code
- Is it possible to widen the anus
- How many tourists visit Goa every year
- Is it possible to own the earth?
- How rich and how poor is China
- What kind of people do social workers have
- How do you smell good when you kiss
- How do dreadlocks smell
- Can beat Kung Fu MMA
- What is seen as a lot of savings
- What is meant by green public investment
- Can I fall in love at school
- Can you sink an aircraft carrier
- What gives a company value
- Why do employees lie
- Feel free to wear inappropriately tight panties
- What makes for an amazing first date
- What dirty things have you done