Is there a Nandos in Zurich
Z rich reads 2020 with Nando von Arb
Nando von Arb and his visual worlds - winner of the Swiss Children's and Young People's Book Prize 2020
In an idiosyncratic visual language, Nando von Arb tells of a childhood with changing caregivers in the graphic novel “3 Väter” (Edition Moderne 2019). For this he was awarded the first Swiss children's and youth book prize in 2020. The Zurich illustrator took the audience into his world of images and imaginations.
Saturday October 24th
4:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Cabaret Voltaire, Spiegelgasse 1, 8001 Zurich
Three father figures shape the growth of the first-person narrator. They convey a love of art to him, offer friction or simply give him closeness. The mother, depicted as a bird, sacrifices herself in order to be able to offer her three children something and weeps while vacuuming so that the children should not hear it. In his graphic novel, the young Zurich illustrator Nando von Arb tells about a childhood that was far from ideal. Radically focused on the child's point of view, however, it becomes an original story about child resilience.
The desire for experiment runs through the book artwork, which is Nando von Arb's debut. Not only the family model is unconventional, but also the use of color and space in the book. "3 Fathers" negotiates the episodes of a childhood with sketchy ease and verbal language and is thus able to address adults and young people. In an interview with Elisabeth Eggenberger (SIKJM), the illustrator talked about his work with the autobiographical material.
Moderation: Elisabeth Eggenberger, SIKJM
Illustration by Nando von Arb from «3 Fathers». © Edition Moderne 2019.
The event in the context of Zurich Reads was carried out by the Swiss Institute for Children and Youth Media SIKJM in cooperation with Cabaret Voltaire.
Photo gallery Zurich reads 2020
POSTPONED TO 2021:
Pas de deux in a picture book. The universe of Albertine and Germano Zullo
The conversation with Albertine and Germano Zullo was canceled and postponed to spring 2021.
The Geneva artist couple Albertine and Germano Zullo have published over thirty picture books. Her complex work has been translated into many languages. This year Albertine received the Hans Christian Andersen Prize for her complete work as an illustrator, which is considered the Nobel Prize in children's and youth literature.
For over twenty years Albertine and Germano Zullo have been developing their unmistakable pas de deux, cheeky, tender and humorous in picture books, animated films and exhibitions. Your work has received numerous awards. The poetry of Germano Zullo's language worlds is echoed in Albertine's drawings, Albertine's playfulness reappears in Germano's stories. In their picture books they sound out all forms of text and image, formats and page composition. They combine poetry and philosophy, take up universal topics, ask questions without giving answers.
Moderation: Loreto Núñez, SIKJM
The event will be held in German and French.
Illustration by Albertine from "Les Oiseaux", Germano Zullo / Albertine. © La Joie de Lire 2010.
- Which US state has the smartest population
- What's a great picture of your cat
- How much formaldehyde do cardboard boxes contain
- May senior couples love each other
- Why is hope both good and bad
- Why is Australia exposed to extreme weather conditions
- Why don't people find me interesting
- Will ISIS take over Iraq
- Is Sufism the Better Version of Islam
- Is Tyrone a black name
- What are the health benefits of bananas
- How does smell affect attraction?
- Are loyal to Mohajir's MQM or Pakistan
- What are the hottest startups in China
- What does it take to be a gamer
- Difference between cost audit and financial audit
- How does the HR department deal with complaints
- How are inflation and interest rates related?
- What is arrogance
- How does Limburger cheese smell
- How does Vietnam communicate
- Can you say something good about swearing
- Will Costco cash a personal check?
- Have you ever felt completely free?
- Why do teachers underestimate many students
- What do Americans eat
- Have you ever seen a girl poop
- Why do things happen by accident
- What is a traditional Italian breakfast
- Are noodles considered unhealthy compared to rice?
- Is it allowed to watch TikTok in Ramadan?
- What do Nigerians look like
- What were the ranks in the Middle Ages