What are slang terms
In this chapter you will find a number of idioms that you will not necessarily find in every dictionary, but which you will often pick up as you listen to people in the UK on a day-to-day basis.
The following list does not claim to be exhaustive, after all, the colloquial language often differs by nuances from region to region, from city to city or even from clique to clique. The language of young people in particular is constantly being expanded to include terms and idioms. If we were to include such phrases in this grammar, they might be out of date by the time you are reading this.
You will find a small selection of these below slang- Expressions that are widely used and are also used nationwide in Great Britain. Please make sure that some of these terms do not exactly belong to the "fine tone" and can be perceived as offensive. We therefore advise against using them, especially in formal exchanges. Perhaps, however, you will also have a little fun learning not only pure school English and expanding your vocabulary to include such linguistic subtleties as occur in everyday language use.
Small selection of colloquial terms
Are you taking the mickey?
Are you kidding?
barmy / crazy
bad, idiotic (vulg.)
bastard / wanker / fucker
Asshole / wanker (vulg.)
bits and bobs
bloody (hell) / for ... ’s sake (e.g. for God’s sake, for fuck’s sake) / shit
bollocks / crap
bad, nonsense (vulg.)
crap / rubbish
Junk / nonsense / shit
Butt, cigarette (caution: in the USA a derogatory term for homosexuals)
That's right / Yes.
kiddie / bab / bairn (Scot) / kid / dead
like (often used as a filler word)
to natter / chat / gas
nutcase / idiot / wally / muppet / nutter
pissed / trollied / smashed
Ta./ Ta muchly./ Ta very much.
Thank you / Thank you very much.
Now that you are ready for everyday life in Great Britain, at the very end of this grammar you will find a chapter dealing with British measurements and weights.
- Are social media apps harmful to teenagers?
- How does coyote meat taste
- Why is Moses still important today
- Can You Still Keep Meth Under Control?
- Why do people say mean things
- How do we stop corruption in Nigeria
- Where is this generation of protest music
- Why are some people so cheap
- How do I remove ice from driveways
- Are sauces keto
- How does UCC 1 308
- Helps or hurts MGTOW men
- Is America threatened by China's military
- China currently practices state capitalism
- How do I find a dentist right away
- What are some bible verses about relationships
- Should I marry a Jewish girl
- Is it okay to call Misandry
- Which European country has the most billionaires?
- Why is PewDiePie still allowed on YouTube
- Donald Trump won against the wishes of the people
- What is forest management
- Will dreams really happen in real life?
- Should society rethink orphanages