Which cities put fluoride in their water?
Canadian study Too much fluoride in drinking water makes babies dumber
A Canadian study found an obvious link between the fluoride intake of women during pregnancy and lower IQ scores in their children.
A team of scientists led by study author Christine Till from York University in Toronto examined 601 mother-child pairs from six cities in Canada for their observational study. The researchers analyzed the test subjects' fluoride intake twice during the women’s pregnancy. At the end of the day, data on the fluoride concentrations in the urine of the mothers and the intelligence quotients of the children were available for 512 mother-child pairs.
One milligram costs around 4 IQ points
The result makes one sit up and take notice: According to this, an increase in the fluoride detected in the mother's urine of 1 milligram per liter of urine was associated with a 4.5 point lower IQ value in boys. A statistically significant association with the IQ score in girls was not found. In boys and girls as a whole, a 1 milligram higher fluoride intake was still associated with a 3.7 lower IQ value.
Fluoride in tap water
Of the 601 Canadian mothers studied, 400 stated that they regularly consumed tap water and other tap water-based drinks such as tea or coffee. The background: More than a third of Canadians are supplied with fluorinated tap water to protect against dental caries. In the USA, this even affects a large proportion of the population. In Europe, around three percent of people are still supplied with tap water that has been treated with fluoride.
In Germany the drinking water is not additionally mixed with fluoride. But it occurs naturally in the environment. According to statements by the Federal Office for Risk Assessment (BfR), more than 90 percent of drinking water contains less than 0.3 mg fluoride per liter. According to the BfR, there is no danger in Germany of taking in too much fluoride through drinking water (without mineral water). The limit value for fluoride in drinking water is 1.5 milligrams per liter. If you want to find out its local value, you can request information from the health authorities.
Not the first study
In 2017, a Mexican study had already demonstrated the negative influence of increased fluoride levels in pregnant women on the mental development of their children. According to this, there were six IQ points between the highest and lowest fluoride concentration. The average IQ is 100 points, from 85 you are already considered to be learning disabled.
- What is social justice in politics
- What are the best neighborhoods in NYC
- How do you eat raw fish
- Which socio-political system is optimized for human productivity
- How does inflation affect fixed income investments
- What is the largest payroll company
- What makes someone feminine
- How does remote working work
- Have you ever met a famous actor?
- Why do everyone hate lawyers
- What is the best time tracking application
- Are all tech recruiters only Indian?
- Why is biofeedback not more popular
- What does the Invisalign cost
- What are the weird things we do
- How many countries issue postage stamps
- Why do shopping malls get empty
- Which cannot be seen as absolute truth
- Where do locals eat in Barcelona
- What do the Iranians think of their government?
- How did a bird change your life
- Why does the stock market return profits adjusted for inflation?
- How bad is it to have pizza for breakfast
- Restaurant staff eating leftovers
- How do the Greeks pronounce the name Cassiopeia?
- How dangerous are the police in your country
- Can you recover from radiation burns
- Did the US win the Korean War?
- Most CEOs are unemployed for other roles
- Who should I choose dad or mom
- Which MCU actor is a perfect fit for your role
- Does China need labor migration
- Find carpets for hospitality