Is hummus Arabic or Greek
Where Does Hummus Really Come From?
Is Hummus Israeli?
The recipe is made up of four simple ingredients: chickpeas, sesame paste (better known as tahini), garlic, and lemon. Perhaps the secret to hummus' beginnings can be traced back to its main ingredient, chickpeas. This harvest has been around for 10,000 years. Chickpeas are common in the Middle East and there is a record of having been eaten for thousands of years. In fact, the earliest existing record of something resembling hummus is from 13th century Egypt.
Chickpeas | © Whitney / Flickr
Is Hummus Greek?
There is no doubt that hummus is ancient, which leads some to think that it is Greek. However, there is no exact record of them making the dip prior to their popularity in the Middle East - which is understandable as many people did not yet know how to write at the time.
Is hummus arab?
In the Arab world, most cuisines have hummus as a staple food. It's a common dish in countries like Syria, Palestine, Lebanon, Egypt, and more. This continued popularity can be seen as a sign that hummus belongs to the Arabs. This delicacy also gets its name from the word chickpeas in Arabic - which in turn suggests that it only belongs to the Arabs. However, once again there is no definite evidence to prove or disprove this theory.
Hummus | © Robert Judge / Flickr
Hummus is for everyone!
In fact, people know for sure that hummus is a crossover food and today it has traveled from ancient times to supermarket shelves around the world. It doesn't matter where you're from, everyone loves hummus and the dish has even taken western society by storm. It is also one of the most important dishes used by Palestinians and Israelis. Hence his power goes beyond politics and nationalities; This makes people wonder if it really matters where hummus comes from or if we should all enjoy it together.
Author: Brent Matthews
Brent Matthews is a 44 year old journalist. Social Media Practitioner. Twitter lover. Coffee nerd. Student. Avid troublemaker. Entrepreneur. Advocate of music.
- What was the mining boom
- Who are the ancestors of Pakistani Muslims
- What unusual behaviors do you trigger
- What age is before kindergarten
- Is the Son of God the Father
- Karachi is bigger than Delhi
- What is the name of an 18-wheel truck
- What do you think of your name
- Why did you publish a book
- What do older generations misunderstand about yours
- Can a professor attend undergrad parties
- Believe that power corrupts
- Russians like potatoes
- Do you have a favorite gemstone
- What does foreign policy mean?
- How can black money be spent?
- Why did she go away
- Does an abortion hurt?
- Why do people go while studying
- Shy people can be CEOs
- How do I leave my dysfunctional marriage
- Why do some Americans hate legal immigrants
- When should you do a code review?
- Should I study economics or physics?
- Are there support groups for narcissistic victims?
- Shouldn't gringo be viewed as a racial fraud
- What enemies did King David have?
- What an interesting thing you can say
- What happens when you cook vinegar
- Why do you teach
- When is Yotel coming to Singapore Orchard
- How does inflation affect purchasing power
- Gentle parenting is always the best policy
- Is fear the cause of anger?