Obama was elected because of climate change
Obama: Climate change threatens US national security
US President Barack Obama has again warned of the consequences of climate change. The instability caused by rising sea levels, changing weather conditions and drastic droughts is "a serious threat to global security," said Obama in a speech at the US Coast Guard Academy in New London, Connecticut.
Climate change is also a direct risk to US national security, said the president. The armed forces of the United States from Alaska to Florida would have to adapt and restructure accordingly.
Around Norfolk in the state of Virginia there are increasing floods from spring tides and cyclones, which affect naval and air force bases, said Obama. The permafrost melt in Alaska is also damaging the military facilities there. And in the western United States, prolonged droughts and fires due to global warming could pose a threat to military exercises.
The infrastructure is also affected
According to the White House, the Department of Defense is currently reviewing all 7,000 military sites, plants and facilities for their vulnerability to climate change. Many of them are on the coast of the United States.
According to the president, a sea level rise of 30 centimeters by the end of the century could cost the United States $ 200 billion. Thousands of kilometers of highways, roads and railways as well as energy systems are at risk in the coastal areas of the USA. The future increase in "climate refugees", for example due to water and food shortages, has effects worldwide and increases the susceptibility to instability and conflict.
Obama once again called for stricter international limits on the emission of climate-damaging gases. Climate protection is also on the agenda of the G7 meeting in early June in Elmau, Bavaria.
gmf / SC (afp, dpa, rtr)
- What is Hyperledger Blockchain
- Will China collapse in 2045
- Which drinks contain caffeine?
- What's going on with Indonesians these days
- How much taxes do billionaires pay?
- Why are social studies important to me
- Supports Alexandria Ocasio Cortez the voter ID
- What challenges do multicellular organisms face
- How did Special Ed ruin your life
- What are the tallest mountains in Nepal
- Which technology device is indispensable in life
- What is 1 normal NaOH
- Have you ever been without bra panties?
- Why are teachers more important than doctors
- What if we boycott Chinese products
- What are the realities of marriage
- Abhinandan shot down an F 16
- Koala berries thrive in Australia
- How do architects minimize their project risks
- How can I stop loving someone
- What are the characteristics of the service tax
- Could you go away
- What are some hidden gems of food
- Should I leave my country