Where does the term gas lighting come from?
Gas lighting (German)
Part of speech: noun, (Female)Hyphenation:
- Gas | lighting | lighting, Plural: Gas | illuminate | do | gen
- IPA: [ˈꞬaːsbəˌlɔɪ̯çtʊŋ], Plural: [ˈꞬaːsbəˌlɔɪ̯çtʊŋən]
- 1) Lighting in which light is generated by burning a gas
- Determinative compound, composed of the nouns gas and lighting
- 1) lighting
- 1) “The Gas lighting ignited, the fire spread to the stage and auditorium, killing 384 people according to official figures. Estimates assume even more deaths. "
- 1) “The rapid triumph of the Gas lighting does not hide the grievances that this unrestricted monopoly of the British gas company brings with it. "
- Nominative: singular Gas lighting; Plural Gas lights
- Genitive: singular Gas lighting; Plural Gas lights
- Dative: singular Gas lighting; Plural Gas lights
- Accusative: singular Gas lighting; Plural Gas lights
Practical example sentences
Automatically selected examples in German:
„What of Vienna Gas lighting What remains: a local inspection in the Sonnenhofgasse.“
DiePresse.com, October 16, 2018
„This had the Berliners after 1826 Gas lighting and also generated a demand in the southern municipalities of the city, which soon made it necessary to have its own gas works. There Mariendorf was in the center.“
Berliner Zeitung, June 30, 2019
The usage examples were selected automatically and may therefore contain errors.
Entries from our dictionary containing "gas lighting":
gas: Century based on the Greek χάος (cháos) "raw, shapeless mass, vacuum" created as a technical term that was used by Paracelsus for "air-shaped steam"; However, the word was only used with the introduction of gas lighting and balloon flights towards the end of the 18th century
lighting: ... ceiling lighting, effect lighting, festival lighting, corridor lighting, garden lighting, gas lighting, background lighting, courtyard lighting, candle lighting ...
Gas lights:… IPA: [ˈɡaːsbəˌlɔɪ̯çtʊŋən] Grammatical features: nominative plural of the noun gas lighting genitive plural of the noun gas lighting dative plural of…
Rate & Share
Rate the dictionary entry or share it with friends.
Quote & print
Quote this page:
"Gas lighting" in the online dictionary Wortbedeutung.info (20.5.2021) URL: https://www.wortbedeutung.info/Gashaben/
Comments from users
There are currently no comments on this entry.
Complete the dictionary entry
Wortscheutung.info is a Language dictionary and is used to look up all linguistic information. It's explicit not an encyclopedia and no subject dictionary that explains content. You can add comments such as examples of use or hints on the use of the term "gas lighting" and thus help to improve our dictionary. Questions, requests for help and complaints are not welcome and will be deleted immediately. HTML tags are not allowed.
The following terms
Gas lights (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: Gas | be | leuch | tun | gen Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
Gas fire (German) Part of speech: noun, (male) Cases: nominative: singular gasbrand; Plural gas fires genitive: singular ...
Gas fire (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Variant Forms: Gasbrand Syllabus: Gas | bran | de Pronunciation / Stress:…
Gas fire (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Subforms: Gasbrands Hyphenation: Gas | bran | des Pronunciation / Emphasis: ...
Gas fires (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Subforms: Gasbrandes Syllabus: Gas | brands Pronunciation / Emphasis:…
Gas fires (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: Gas | brän | de Pronunciation / Stress: IPA: [ˈɡaːsˌbʁɛndə]…
Gas fires (German) Part of Speech: Declined Form Hyphenation: Gas | brän | den Pronunciation / Emphasis: IPA:…
Gascony (German) Part of speech: noun, (feminine), part of speech: toponym Cases: nominative: singular die Gascogne; Plural - ...
- How much of the population are millennials
- What do Eastern Europeans eat for breakfast
- What is the best time tracking application
- Who do you admire and why
- Are Cluster B personalities trustworthy
- Who was Bertha Southey Brammall
- Are giant human skeletons real
- Do you need to finish projects early?
- How can you as a future citizen make a contribution?
- How can you improve your drawing skills
- How much does a consultant earn
- What do Turks think of Hitler?
- Why is the laundry service in the hotel so expensive
- How to travel to Kiribati island
- How long is banana bread good?
- Is it possible to create life?
- Why do people fear other people's comments
- What is the DMAT account
- How does OCD work
- How do I get a job with no experience
- How clean are the Americans
- Why does hair absorb odors so well
- Rejected teenage pregnancy
- How was medieval France