Why are ticks so difficult to kill
After a tick bite, you should remove the parasite quickly. But how do you properly dispose of it without endangering yourself? With these means it works.
Now in spring their time begins again. In the tall grass and on the bushes, the small parasites lie in wait for their victims: hikers, joggers, but also dogs that wander around in the undergrowth with their masters on a walk in the forest. In their greed for blood, ticks attach themselves to their host's skin in order to suck it out. And that's not even the problem.
Rather, ticks are known and rightly feared as carriers of dangerous diseases such as TBE (early summer meningoencephalitis) or borreliosis.
Remove ticks quickly and render them harmless
A particularly large number of TBE infections have been reported in recent years from large parts of Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg, but also from southern Hesse and south-eastern Thuringia. Every year the Robert Koch Institute publishes a current risk assessment in Germany as well as a map of the TBE risk areas in order to inform the population Dangers of a tick bite to protect.
Interesting too: Meat allergy after a tick bite? This bizarre symptom is meant to indicate that.
But despite all the precautionary measures: humans and animals are not completely safe from the bloodsuckers. The alpha and omega of a tick bite is that the Parasite is removed as quickly as possible. But then the question quickly arises: what to do with the bloodsucker?
Dispose of the tick - but how are you doing right?
Researchers have now asked themselves this question and have found out in various tests which methods are suitable for the correct disposal of a removed tick For some the pests survive and can multiply further. Ticks should be sure to be killedwithout the person coming into contact with the tick's body fluids.
Read about it: After weeks of the Corona restrictions, people are drawn to nature. But be careful: In 2020, the risk of ticks in Bavaria is particularly high - with consequences.
Because already by one tiny wound on the finger Pathogens or even eggs that are in the tick could get into the human organism. So how do you properly kill a tick? Should they be crushed or crushed, burned or rendered harmless with certain liquids?
Endurance test: only brute methods are successful with ticks
The researchers' results are striking because they show how robust the dangerous pests are. Neither stepping on the tick with the heel of the shoe nor crushing it with the fingernail could harm the tick. However, flushing the tick down the toilet also turned out to be unsuitable, as it was shown that ticks can survive in water for a long time.
Find out herewhy you should see a doctor immediately if a tick bite turns red in a ring.
This proved to be most effective in the tick endurance test Crush the tick with a solid object, for example a glass of water. To do this, fold the tick into a piece of paper and pull the glass over it with pressure. The researchers were also able to finish off with the ticks 40 percent alcohol, chlorine cleaner and Sagrotan do. Two other, relatively brutal methods: The tick light with the lighter or her with a sharp knife Separate the head from the body.
also read: This is how you can tell immediately whether you have borreliosis after a tick bite.
Keep ticks with pets
If you remove a tick from your pet, you should keep it. If the animal shows symptoms, the vet can examine the parasite and find out whether the symptoms are related to Lyme disease or a disease caused by the tick. So the poor pet may be left with a prescription Therapy with high-dose antibiotics is spared.
Attention: This food is said to be contaminated with TBE viruses. And how you can defend yourself against it with a tick vaccination - and who pays for it.
How to properly remove a tick:
People who spend a lot of time outdoors should never leave the house without an aidwith which you can quickly remove a tick. The following methods of tick removal have proven effective:
- Remove ticks with tweezers: The front part of the tweezers should be curved and pointed so that you can grasp the tick as close as possible to the skin on the mouthparts. Try to pull the tick's head out carefully and in a controlled manner at a perpendicular angle to the skin, without crushing the tick's abdomen.
- Lever out the tick with a tick card: This particular card has a V-shaped hole that you can use to pry the bloodsucker out. And this is how you proceed: Push the card against the tick flat on the skin and try to guide the tick sideways into the beak-shaped recess. Do not linger here, but continue with the card without interrupting the movement, removing the tick.
- The tick lasso: You should place the end of the lasso loop as close as possible to the skin around the tick. Finally, use the punch at the top of the device to close the lasso, raise the handle vertically and press it lightly onto the skin. Now pull the tick straight up and away.
- Remove the tick with your fingers: If no auxiliary tool is available, a tick can be removed with your thumb and forefinger if necessary. Here the tick is packed as close as possible to the skin. You should also make sure that the abdomen is not crushed. Now carefully pull the tick out with slight loosening movements to the left and right.
Interesting too: That is why you should see a doctor immediately if a tick bite itches.
also read: With this app you now know about tick herds - and you are guaranteed to protect yourself from TBE viruses.
Watch out: these are the eight most common misconceptions about ticks
Burns for service topics of all kinds and from all conceivable areas. Because it wants to help users with tips & tricks to get through everyday life even easier, while curious social media stories provide the necessary diversion in between. Because she finds both equally good, she became a passionate lifestyle editor.
- When will my unemployment benefit be available?
- How is the salivary gland blocked
- You should use traditional Chinese characters
- If nothing is pure, we should die
- What were Hitler's personal habits?
- Are women too cute
- Who are 5 Indian astronauts
- Where is the coldest place in Portugal
- People are still playing Minecraft
- Where is your headquarters located?
- Will I get paid in an internship?
- What is used to create wealth
- How do I get a photo ID
- Which phase of life is the most difficult
- Just like underpaid teachers are
- Has a real Cuban mayonnaise sandwich
- How do companies work with subsidiaries
- Would you consider retiring in Singapore
- How do I get away from campus
- How many Jews did Moses kill?
- What is the difference between Sweden and Switzerland
- How are Indian boys
- What are some good Asian food recipes
- How good are boarding schools