Are software developers paid well
Which jobs as a software engineer earn the most
Software engineers are incredibly valuable; some software engineer jobs are paid as well as doctor or lawyer jobs. At the same time, the entry barrier seems to be getting lower and lower. The number of professional developers with less than a bachelor's degree who responded to Stack Overflow's developer survey has grown to a whopping 25% of respondents. This begs the question, if pretty much anyone can do it, what makes a computer engineer salary so high?
To find out, we needed a large data set, so we reached out to PayScale. With this platform, not only can you see the salary range for a software engineer, but you can also break them down by skill, location, and company.
So we rummaged through the data. To make sure we had a large enough sample, we had to publish at least 30 salaries to use the data and then looked at the high end of the salary range. This meant that we didn't consider key technologies like Closure due to a lack of data, but they're not widely enough to be well aware of their value. But it does mean that these results are more robust than others that rely on relatively little data. And the results might surprise you.
Take the average software engineer in the United States. We purposely did not look at junior or senior software engineer salaries as there are no clear definitions for these titles. The high end of the range for the average software engineer salary, at the time of this writing, is $ 128,864. This number isn't bad, but you hear much bigger numbers so we wanted to figure out how to find it. We started by looking at which technologies are most useful.
1. Knowing the right technologies is one way to get high paying software engineer jobs
Languages are no longer the primary skill employers look for. This was an important finding as most of the lists that evaluate the value of technology for the highest paying jobs for software engineers don't go beyond language proficiency. That's not to say languages aren't important. They're an integral part of programming, but we've found that a high-paying skill stack should have a foundation of technical skills at the bottom, specific language skills in the middle, and technology-specific skills to top it off.
Find out which skills improve salaries for software engineer jobs
Source: pay scale
Take the example of someone who knows Java. He can use this ability on Android which could make him $ 130,773, or he could use it on MapReduce which could make him $ 157,643. That's a $ 26,870 raise based on the use of another technology alone.
And that's not the whole story. Take a look at the highest paying technologies. While there are some hot languages like R and Go at the top, none of the top five paid technologies are languages. But a number of the top technologies can be complemented with knowledge of specific languages.
- $157,643 – MapReduce Java, Python and most other common languages (Stung: stack overflow)
- $157,295 – Apache Hive
- $154,412 – Natural language processing MATLAB, R, Python, Java (Stung: FreelancingGig)
- $150,860 – SolrJava, C #, PHP, Python, Ruby and most of the other common languages (source: Wikipedia)
- $150,441 – Redis
- $149,163 –NoSQL
- $149,095 – R.
- $148,436 – Are you going
- $148,328 – Service-oriented architecture (SOA) Any (Stung: Wikipedia)
- $145,616 – Scala
- $144,505 – iOS Swift, Objective-C (Stung: Stack Overflow)
- $144,397 – Cassandra
- $140,207 – Hadoop Java, C, and most other common languages (Stung: Wikipedia)
- $139,760 – Elasticsearch Java, .NET (C #), PHP, Python, Apache Groovy, Ruby (Stung: Wikipedia)
- $133,074 – python
- $133,015 – Dock workers Go (Golang) (Stung: Dock workers)
- $132,787 – Fast
- $130,773 – Android Java, Kotlin, C ++, Python (source: wage scale)
The right skill can increase a computer engineer's salary
To make this point clearer, consider the most valuable skill, MapReduce. This is a skill that is applicable to most major languages but is extremely valuable to the market right now.
Source: pay scale
The potential salary markup that MapReduce can bring makes a huge difference to someone who knows any language. Someone familiar with PHP sees the biggest jump in salary, $ 38,448. Even someone who knows a high quality language like Python can still see a $ 24,569 salary jump.
- PHP - up to $ 38,448 more
- Java - up to $ 28,779 more
- C - up to $ 30,811 more
- C ++ - up to $ 28,949 more
- Python - up to $ 24,569 more
Perhaps the most important way to position yourself for the highest paying software engineer job is by developing a sought-after skill stack. That means that in addition to developing skills in a valuable language like R or Python, you should develop your skills in a field like MapReduce or Natural Language Processing.
2. The best jobs for software engineers require problem-solving skills
Developing a valuable tool stack is a great thing, but it's not the only part of the equation. As Nick Larsen of Stack Overflow says,
Source: Stack Overflow blog
Image source: LinkedIn
In other words, the value of a software engineer does not come from his technology stack, but from his ability to solve problems. The bigger the problems an employer has to solve, the more willing they are to pay an engineer to solve them.
Problem-solving skills are a little harder to quantify than technology, but are still important in how much the highest-paid software engineers get. That point is made clear by Jen Pugh, a New York City-based tech recruiter. When she talks about the skills valued by employers looking for front-end developers, she says,
Source: Udacity blog
Image source: LinkedIn
A good software engineer can use valuable languages and technology. A great one can also work with colleagues from different backgrounds to solve problems and achieve common goals. While it is more difficult to measure, there is a clear need for software engineers who can solve problems.
So far we have discussed how both the technologies a software engineer works with and his ability to solve problems make his output more valuable. But there are other factors that contribute to a high salary as a software engineer.
3. The highest paid software engineering jobs pile up in certain places
It will come as no surprise to anyone that the salary level is highly dependent on geographic location. Everything depends on supply and demand and in certain parts of the country the demand for skilled software engineers is much greater than the supply. This means that, in absolute terms, a software engineer with the same skills can find a better paying job in a place where his skills are more valuable.
Where are software engineers best paid?
Just look at how much they can vary across the United States:
Source: pay scale
- $ 187,236 - Cupertino
- $ 169,637 - mountain view
- $ 168,974 - Menlo Park
- $ 151,908 - San Francisco
- $ 150,948 - San Jose
- $ 147,201 - Redmond
- $ 137,811 - Seattle
- $ 135,930 - New York
- $ 128,452 - Los Angeles
- $ 123,175 - Washington, District of Columbia
- $ 119,275 - Boston
- $ 116,793 - Denver
- $ 112,805 - Chicago
- $ 112,148 - Austin
- $ 111,749 - Raleigh
- $ 107,775 - Salt Lake City
So where are software engineers best paid? We found the highest salary in Cupertino at $ 187,236. Compare that to the up and coming tech hub of Salt Lake City and the contrast is sharp. A software engineer in Cupertino can make $ 79,461 more than a software engineer in Salt Lake City.
Well, we didn't account for the differences in the cost of living, and it wouldn't surprise anyone that San Francisco is a more expensive place to live than Salt Lake City. But if you're looking for absolute dollar amounts, the highest paying software engineering jobs in Silicon Valley and Seattle get paid better than southern, Midwestern, and mountainous cities like Chicago, Austin, Raleigh, and Salt Lake City.
But while we focused on the cities, we found that the cities that are home to the headquarters of Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft, and Amazon are pretty high on the list. From this we found another factor that influences the salary of the highest paid software engineers.
4. Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Amazon pay their software engineers better than others
A software engineer who has the right technical skills, can solve problems, and has moved to the Bay Area can raise his salary even further. Put simply, the biggest tech companies work hard to attract the best software engineers and are ready to pay for the privilege.
Given that the top end of the US wage bracket is $ 128,864, they all pay more nationwide.
Facebook - $ 186,258
Google - $ 184,058
Apple - $ 175,320
Amazon - $ 156,848
Microsoft - $ 150,121
The biggest boost comes from Facebook, where software engineers can make $ 57,394 more than software engineer jobs in the nation as a whole. One way to explain this is that the size and clustering effect of these companies means they employ software engineers in already expensive labor markets. But that's not the whole story.
However, in most cases, these companies are still paying more than the local average.
Facebook software engineer salary - $ 203,225 versus Menlo Park - $ 168,974
Google Software Engineer Salary - $ 189,873 versus Mountain View - $ 169,637
Apple Software Engineer Salary - $ 183,793 vs. Cupertino - $ 187,625
Amazon Software Engineer Salary - $ 156,558 versus Seattle - $ 137,811
Microsoft Software Engineer Salary - $ 150,194 versus Redmond - $ 147,201
With the exception of Apple, each of the major tech companies pays up to $ 32,824 more for software developers than companies in the city they are based in.
5. What you need to get a high paying job as a software engineer
In our research, we found four ways to get a well-paying job as a software engineer.
- In addition to learning valuable languages such as Python, Go or R, you will develop skills in technologies such as MapReduce, Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning.
- Develop your problem solving and teamwork skills.
- Look for jobs in a high-wage city either in Silicon Valley or near Seattle.
- Try to get a job at one of the big tech companies.
By combining these qualities, a software engineer can earn one of the highest salaries in the industry.
6. What if you are trying to hire for your company?
Of course, if you are an employer you are trying to get the most benefit from your software engineers, and our analysis provides some actionable tips that can help you with that.
- Give more generous offers to developers whose skills better match the needs of your business. Don't spend so much on people without these skills and technologies.
- Take a work sample test to measure your candidate's problem-solving skills.
- If you can't pay that much, find a metropolitan area that has a cheaper job market for software engineers.
- Don't try to compete with the big guys on price, find another way to make your offer attractive.
We have looked at the data but would like to hear from you. Do these salaries sound reasonable? What did you do to make yourself more valuable? Keep the conversation going in the comments below.
- Why do armpits stink so much
- What is the reaction to saponification
- Government jobs in India pay off well
- How was Zimbabwe colonized
- How does gay marriage threaten your marriage?
- How bad is the American education system
- How do English and Scots differ?
- Have you ever given up hope
- What are some good whole body exercises
- Who was Walter Flex
- How do animals cut the umbilical cord
- Why do mothers enable their adult children
- Is polyamory a good idea
- Do you love your hometown
- Where can I find an electrician in Sydney
- Attract military women
- Why do people value physical beauty
- How are tobacco companies helping the economy
- Why do babies squirm while breastfeeding?
- What is a typical Filipino dinner
- Is there any free accommodation in Bangalore
- How do I make myself fair
- Which European countries love African American men
- Who gives power in democracy
- What is your favorite obscenity
- Why can't I feel any more music?
- What is the perfect date
- What do you do every day
- Urinate snakes
- How much is a government bond worth
- Will Trump make America great by 2020
- The Greeks are descendants of North Africans
- What is the psychology of ignoring
- Can Hong Kong have a rest