Are people naturally unequal
Genes or environment? Why are people actually of different sizes?
It may seem mundane to most people, but our height is an exciting mystery to evolutionary biologists. The fact that we humans and other living beings can be so different in size is a phenomenon for which there was no real explanation, says Thomas Bosch, professor at the Christian Albrechts University in Kiel. You know that the body size is specific to the species, explains the zoologist. Humans have a certain size and, depending on the species, this is also the case.
In animals, whales are larger than guinea pigs and dogs. There is no dog as big as a whale and there is no guinea pig as big as a dog. A biological species has a fixed body size within fixed limits and fluctuations. It must be genetically determined somewhere.Evolutionary biologist Thomas Bosch
But, puts it into perspective, when he walks through the pedestrian zone, people are not at all the same size, on the contrary. So how does that come about? A cohort study already established in 2017 how great the influence of our size genes actually is, explains the evolutionary biologist.
That work actually posited that about 30 percent is genetics. (...) Then 70 percent is not genetics. And that is what we have shown in our model organism, the freshwater polyp Hydra: What does it look like there?Evolutionary biologist Thomas Bosch
So the freshwater polyp Hydra was the researchers' test system. Because they wanted to turn off some genes that could have something to do with height. Of course, that doesn't work with humans. Hydra is suitable for this because there are also animals of different sizes and the results can be transferred to other living things, even to humans. The researchers then carefully analyzed the genetic make-up of these tiny animals.
At the cellular level, we have found that indeed one of the environmental factors - temperature - has a huge impact on size.Evolutionary biologist Thomas Bosch
One factor that determines our body size are influences from the environment. The lower the temperature, the larger the animals became. The researchers also analyzed the genes themselves in more detail and came across a few key genes. If they were switched off, the body size changed. From this, the researchers were able to derive a kind of basic plan for the creation of the size.
OObviously, the internal machinery of a cell, together with the regulators, make up the genetic machinery. The temperature is perceived by this genetic machinery and then converted into cell count, cell size and thus also body size.Evolutionary biologist Thomas Bosch
Next, Bosch's team wants to focus on the environmental impact of our diet. Because it essentially determines the composition of our microbiome - the bacteria that are on and in us. There is even an initial interim result: It is obvious that the microbiome also has something to do with how big an individual becomes.
- European countries have state provinces
- How can I cure a vaginal yeast infection
- Who Owns LAX Airport
- Are Dell laptops reliable
- Why should CA students fail
- How do I bring peace to Indonesia
- Can sociopaths be in real romantic relationships?
- How often do healthy couples fight
- Did you help someone today?
- What does foreign investment mean
- Which Indian dish tastes best
- What is the property tax
- Why don't people find me interesting
- For which class is BYJU recommended?
- Should I love my cousin or not
- Wealthy people have an attitude
- Indonesians love Indian food
- Attract military women
- What do you think is weird about Australia
- Is Boruto more like Naruto or Hinata
- How is IGIMS Patna for studying MBBS
- What do Americans think of their country?
- What is stress defined as
- What is perksatwork com
- Is the old city of Hyderabad dangerous
- What are the latest accounting software
- How to cook seafood
- Are people meant to wear clothes?
- Which country is Britain's enemy
- How dangerous are motorcycles
- How can I get free prostheses
- What is differential diagnosis
- Which historical figure saved the most lives?
- Which game is more popular than Fortnite