How can I stop procrastination while studying?

Navigation and Service

Withdrawal from exams and extension of deadlines for term papers

It happens again and again that students do not take an exam or are unable to meet the deadline for a term paper or the like due to acute illnesses or acute deterioration of existing health problems.

Withdrawal from an examination due to illness must be confirmed by a medical certificate and reported immediately to the examination office, examination board or the examiner (submit a certificate!). If the examination regulations require an official medical certificate, this must be submitted. The same applies to extensions of written term papers and theses due to illness.

If acute illness-related complaints occur during an oral or written examination, these must be reported immediately - before the examination is completed. The test is then canceled. A doctor must then be consulted immediately, who must issue a corresponding certificate and forward it to the examination office.

Health impairments during an examination can usually no longer be claimed retrospectively. In exceptional cases, however, an acute illness-related impairment in an examination situation can mean that students are no longer able to break off the examination in good time. In this particular case, this attempt should be counted as not having taken place. Here, too, immediate action must be taken and appropriate medical certificates must be provided.

Withdrawal from courses

Often, students have to register for courses through their campus management. As a rule, you automatically undertake to take the final exam and, under certain circumstances, if you fail the repeat exam. Anyone who has to cancel the course before the end of the course for health or disability reasons should inform the lecturer and the examination office or other responsible bodies immediately. Otherwise there is a risk that the course will be rated as failed. The withdrawal for health reasons must be documented by a specialist doctor's certificate. Information on this is available directly from the universities.

Leave of absence or de-registration with the right to return

There are situations in which students can no longer pursue their studies appropriately and as usual due to health problems. If it is foreseeable that this phase will not only be temporary but longer lasting, it is advisable, sometimes even necessary, to officially withdraw from the course for one or more semesters in order to concentrate fully on therapy and rehab. It is important that a return to studies is guaranteed.

As a rule, students should take leave of absence in these cases. A corresponding application must be sent to the university administration. The leave of absence always takes place semester by semester and must usually be applied for together with the re-registration or immediately after the reason for the leave of absence occurs. A medical certificate stating the temporary “inability to study” may have to be enclosed. During a semester on leave, students remain members of their university and are still enrolled in their subject. Semesters on leave are not counted as subject semesters.

As a rule, students who are on leave due to illness are not allowed to take coursework or examinations. For this reason only, BAföG recipients may apply for subsistence benefits under SGB II or SGB XII during sick leave. If the university deviates from the prohibition on the provision of services, this can have negative effects under social law. If necessary, students or their relatives should contact the social counseling service of the responsible student union to find out about the financial implications (handbook for studying and disability: Chapter VII "Financing your livelihood", keyword: "ALG II in the event of an illness-related interruption of studies and leave of absence")

Before students apply for leave of absence from their university, they should inquire about the university modalities. Often the number of possible vacation semesters is limited. In justified cases, deviating regulations should be possible.
A de-registration should only be approved if it is legally regulated that a continuation of the previous course is guaranteed without a new admission procedure (e.g. regulations of the University of Hamburg). In case of doubt, students should have their legal entitlement confirmed in writing by the university.

Important: Leave of absence and de-registration affect the entitlement to BAföG, scholarships and other social benefits. Possible financial implications should be clarified before submitting the application. The university should be asked how the change of status can affect examinations and what rights and obligations are associated with it.