We swallow spiders in our sleep: true or false?
Time and again it is said that we swallow up to 8 spiders per year in our sleep and many people consider this to be a fact because they have read it on the Internet. Here comes the reassuring news: it's not true.
Here are the facts: Because of their height, humans do not fall into the prey scheme of the little crawlers. On the contrary. A sleeping person who breathes, maybe snores and whose heart is beating is more likely to be perceived as a danger. Because all of this causes vibrations that warn the small animals of us and, in most cases, make them steer clear of us. Humans are also equipped with a protective mechanism that lets us wake up if something falls on our face while sleeping.
But how did the myth come about? Through word of mouth. In 1993, a journalist wrote about how false information spread via e-mail established itself as true facts (about the source). To support her thesis, she made a list of false facts herself, including the spider myth. Torn out of context, it developed into a false truth and one of the most widespread myths on the Internet.
Phew, then we can all sleep peacefully tonight.
- Why do mothers enable their adult children
- Why are front squats so hard
- Can anyone use algorithmic trading
- Why do some people hoard on things
- Why are diamonds and gold historically valuable
- How old were the soldiers during World War II
- How are the congress committees structured?
- What is the theory behind bluegrass
- Why countries forbid PUBG
- How are the Telugu people
- What is full time employment
- Are atheists angry at God
- Is it easier to learn guitar or piano
- Can we eat fish after drinking milk?
- Are there any differences between RTS games and MOBA games?
- Why is Scotland so treeless
- What's your favorite thing about your hometown
- What do you think about fashion today
- What makes a great woman
- Who repairs an airplane
- Will get the Redmi Note 3 Oreo
- What are the top 10 fighter jets
- Is God a mother or a father
- How are mega-projects managed
- What do you dislike about India
- Modern technology will replace books
- How recruiting companies make a net profit
- Are Africans Racist
- Where is Louis Vuitton made
- Do the Scots love monarchy?
- How good is the Garib Rath train
- Why do we need a project
- What confuses you about modern culture?