What is marriage legal in the US
Welcome to the website of the Federal Foreign Office
In principle, Germans can be married, even if they are not domiciled or permanently resident in the USA. Each US state has its own rules and special features. Please select the state in which the wedding will take place:
New York State
US state of New Jersey
State of Pennsylvania
US state of Connecticut
On June 26th, 2015, the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage nationwide. The Supreme Court ruled that the constitution guarantees the right to same-sex marriage in all states of the USA. Previously, there were bans in 14 states and regulations such as New Jersey that only allowed a registered civil partnership.
Is a foreign same-sex marriage valid in Germany?
On October 1, 2017, the law introducing the right to marry for persons of the same sex also came into force in Germany.
Same-sex marriages that have been concluded abroad develop their full effect in Germany from the date of the marriage, even if they were concluded before August 1, 2001 (the LPartG came into force). They can be re-notarized in the marriage register on application according to §34 I 1 S. 4 PStG.
It is no longer possible to enter into registered civil partnerships, but there is no obligation to convert existing civil partnerships into marriages.
Civil partnerships entered into abroad are not automatically recognized as marriages in Germany, but domestic partners can marry in Germany without the civil partnership having to be dissolved beforehand.
An existing civil partnership with the same person does not constitute an obstacle to marriage according to Section 1306 of the German Civil Code (BGB) and the domestic civil partnership entry is concluded by means of a subsequent certification upon marriage.
- What are some Japanese musicians
- How does remote working work
- Does your company value customer feedback
- Has anyone traveled with Trip Sailer TravelTriangle
- Why are there no homeless people in China?
- How to cure hoarding quickly
- Which countries are tax-free
- What are some of the best kept prison secrets
- How is the BP135 Blu-ray player
- Roofing work is really that difficult
- What is the scope of treasury management
- Which is associated with civil engineering
- How do ENTJs deal with a romantic relationship
- Deceives Neobux people
- Blood Diluents Make You Lose Weight
- Why is privacy important in a relationship
- How did fighter planes affect the First World War?
- What problems would you like to have
- There are things that are really inevitable
- How do a girl's fire smell?
- Which empire competed with the Roman Empire
- Europe has a great future
- What is a good Lechon Kawali recipe
- What is social snobbery