What is Germany's Autobahn
Places of remembrance - Germany
- 1954: ADAC commercial for traffic safety
- Border checkpoint of the GDR: From here, transit highways led to West Berlin.
The end for the autobahn?
At the beginning of the Second World War, 3,300 of the planned 6900 kilometers of motorway had been completed. From then on, workers were withdrawn or relocated to routes that appeared important for war purposes. From 1942, there was a total construction freeze on the Reichsautobahn. And after the collapse of the Third Reich, the Allies dissolved the "Reichsautobahn" company. The dream of the German autobahn seemed over.
Reconstruction and the economic miracle
After the war Germany was in ruins. Large sections of the motorway were destroyed, and many fuel stations and rest stops were badly damaged. The occupying powers organized repair teams that repaired the worst damage to the West German autobahns in the years that followed.
In 1950, around 2200 kilometers of autobahn were again available in the FRG, which were now called federal autobahns. These were urgently needed because private transport increased steadily. The VW Beetle became a symbol of the economic miracle, and more and more German citizens drove their own automobiles. Truck traffic also increased enormously. In a newsreel from the 1950s it was said: "The trucks drive day and night in the service of the economy and transport the goods to all points of consumption." From now on, the federal motorways have been steadily expanded.
Transit routes in the GDR
The motorway network of the FRG ended in the east at the border control posts of the GDR. If you wanted to go to West Berlin, you had to use the old slopes of the Reichsautobahn. These transit routes remained in increasingly poor condition. GDR inspectors charged high fees for goods transported on it, which allegedly were to be used for the maintenance of the roads.
- Are nationalism and internationalism compatible?
- Who started the American Revolution
- Who has the highest IQ in India
- What is the 0 break-in
- Which actress has the best ass
- How would you describe London
- How do Amazon RSUs work
- Feminists hate men
- What books have given you great wisdom
- Obtain the state contract workers DA
- Why are some women happy to be single?
- How is daily life in Bhutan
- What is mainly eaten for dinner?
- What are your favorite things about BTS
- Accept men who wear a saree
- China has nuclear power plants
- What is your favorite type of restaurant
- Do animals have sex with their parents?
- Why do people adapt to society
- How do marketplace websites market themselves
- Which characteristics define liquid funds
- Why do employees clap
- Will the iPhone X support 5G
- What is the smell of human penis