Accept men who wear a saree
Saris: India's most traditional costume doesn't shy away from change
Visitors fascinated by the beauty and mythology of the saris can purchase the textiles on site and take them home with them. Unlike other traditional garments in some cultures, the sari is not reserved for people of a particular nationality or belief. "I don't think it's disrespectful for Westerners to wear sari," says Chishti. “It's more of an honor.” There is nothing wrong with sewing a skirt out of a shimmering sari or hanging it on the wall like a work of art, says Sethi.
Tourists, locals and brides go looking for saris in the numerous shops of the azure-blue alleys of Jodhpur or in the streets of Mumbai. There are fine pieces in larger, more expensive boutiques such as Ekaya Banaras in Delhi, which is known for its hand-woven silks by over 8,000 Banaras weavers, or Nalli in Chennai, which opened in 1928 and is spread over two floors of an Art Deco building in T. Nagar district extends.
Wherever they go, sari-seekers find themselves between candy-colored stacks of neatly folded silk, cotton and chiffons. Some saris are available for as little as $ 20 from a street vendor, while a Banarasi beauty can cost up to $ 10,000. “When you buy a saree, it is usually a long process. You can get the saree fabric in a shop, have a blouse tailored elsewhere and then buy the petticoat elsewhere, ”explains Sethi.
It's a complex dance through shops and tailors, at the end of which a full saree awaits - and not one that you can put on quickly. “But it's a piece of fabric that has gotten real notoriety and there are so many variations,” says Sethi. "Saris are so important and they are definitely worth celebrating."
The article was originally published in English on NationalGeographic.com.
- Is it dangerous to join a cult?
- Electrical engineers are in great demand
- Who are 5 Indian astronauts
- What is an Australian Cost of Living
- Are older people afraid of dying?
- Buddha is more powerful than Jesus
- Why do we need shopping centers
- What is the greatest weapon that man has never made
- The term brogrammer is sexist
- Who stole the Somnath temple
- Can a balance be improved
- A burrito is a sandwich
- Where do journalists get their ideas from?
- How important are soil tests
- What do you do every day
- Do you have famous ancestors
- How do Russians see the Chinese
- Where can computer engineers work
- Why did you leave Capgemini?
- What makes you compassionate about your life
- How do highly sexual women deal with relationships
- What is the SSC CGL Tier 2 curriculum
- Which Scandinavians call their country Sverige
- Is China's economy really in trouble?