Economists need math
Department of Economics
Study phase in the bachelor's program
- Economics: basic phase
- Business administration: basic phase, Study area quantitative basics of business administration
(according to the study regulations for the Bachelor's degree in Economics)
The students know the essential mathematical methods that they need in order to understand formalized economic issues in their further studies and to be able to develop independent solutions for related problems. This includes the basic knowledge of linear algebra and analysis as well as their application to economic questions.
- Functions of one and more variables
- Ordinary and partial derivatives
- Extreme values of functions with and without constraints
- Integral calculus
- Systems of linear equations
The lecture slides are based on the following textbook:
Knut Sydsaeter and Peter Hammond: Mathematics for economists, 3rd, updated edition, Pearson Studies, 2008.
Newer or older editions can of course also be used.
For prospective economics students, the mathematics bridging course is offered before the actual start of the lectures. The aim of the bridging course is to prepare for the compulsory lecture "Mathematics for Economists" in the first semester. Typically, topics from school mathematics are repeated and supplemented here on the basis of the three introductory chapters of the book accompanying the lecture by Sydsaeter and Hammond.
- Desensitized you to the violence on TV and in movies
- Are we the last generation on earth
- What is the simplest pleasure in life
- Can deployed soldiers make phone calls
- The government of Tamil Nadu will ban TASMAC
- How do governments create investment opportunities
- Is a 9 hour shift too long
- Has product placement ever been properly done?
- Facebook credits expire
- What are the trade unions in favor of?
- What did you learn in school today
- What impresses a boy in a girl
- How many Germans were expelled after the Second World War
- How do I stop catastrophicizing everything
- What's the cutest baby picture ever
- Which SIP is best for long-term investments
- Why do some people reject globalism
- What is property and types of property
- How does milk neutralize spicy food?
- Why do some Chinese have bad mouths
- How do I get away from campus
- Is a gap year really important
- Who were the first translators
- Has anyone studied at the Open University?
- What is reality 3
- Which is the best bluetooth speaker among Rs9000
- Is cycling good for diabetic patients?
- Is Singapore a Safe or Dangerous Country?
- Are you fine with arranged marriages
- Is mechanical engineering blue collar
- Why is PewDiePie so popular
- What do Israelis think of Portugal?
- What makes flying an airplane so difficult
- Which state do most US citizens come from?