Why do airplanes have no backwards 1
Dangerous pull of the jets
Airplanes are always pushed back from the dock. There are even docks where the aircraft is pulled to the dock by means of a tractor, as the distances between the engines and the dock do not allow them to run. The reason: the space available at the airport stands are in the vast majority of cases very tight. The distances between the individual aircraft, the dock and all the equipment for loading or unloading the aircraft are often only a few meters.
And that means a danger. Because one must not forget that there is an enormous suction in the intake area of the engine. Whole people have also been sucked into engines when they passed too close to the intake duct. In the case of commercial aircraft, the situation is not so dramatic; the danger of sucking in dirt and other objects with an engine would, however, be greatly increased in the area of the docks.
No rearview mirrors
Something can always be left lying around after loading or refueling and even the smallest objects could damage the engine. Backward thrust would also stir up the air and further increase the risk of dirt or objects flying around. On the runway after landing, this risk is not very great, as the speed of travel means that there is no turbulence in the air in front of the engine.
In addition, it is unfortunately not possible to look behind the aircraft from the cockpit. Normally you can see just enough from the cockpit to be able to estimate the distance to the wing tips. You cannot see further back and there are no mirrors. Therefore, with backward thrust, you would not be able to see where you are rolling.
Everything you always wanted to know about flying but didn't dare to ask: A pilot from a large European airline answers readers' questions exclusively for aeroTELEGRAPH. He remains anonymous in order to be able to answer independently. Just send us an email to [email protected] The most exciting of the questions sent will be answered on aeroTELEGRAPH. The name of the sender will be published. There is no right to answer.
- China currently practices state capitalism
- Can I cash an insurance check?
- What are examples of talents and skills
- Where was the first man born
- Instincts are always right
- What temperature should ground beef be?
- What are the eating habits in Indonesia
- Which meat smoking method is most efficient?
- What is the manufacturing process of cement
- Do nurses or CNAs work harder
- Who is your best Indian celebrity chef
- How fish girls flirt
- Why is marine insurance important
- How often do you volunteer for charity?
- Do you think Arab women are hot
- Which websites do you know in China
- What is social democracy in simple terms
- What is the process of surveying
- The mentality of a person really heals itself
- How do I get civil projects
- What is graphic design
- Should and would East Timor join Indonesia
- What is Butler University known for
- What is a day well spent
- How is Islam perceived in Turkey?
- Why is Ghana poor and undeveloped
- What a coincidental thing made you happy today
- Which is the rape capital of the world
- Sofrito is used in Italian cuisine
- Is the antisocial personality disorder hereditary
- Albanians are only allowed to marry Albanians
- What do Norwegians think of the Turks?
- Are proteins good for your health?
- What is a Hiwi in Germany