There is a lot of racism in US universities
Racism Debate in the USA : Elite Princeton University renames institute
As a result of the recent debate about racism in the US, the elite Princeton University has renamed its Politics Institute, previously named after former US President Woodrow Wilson. "Wilson's racism was significant and momentous, even by the standards of its era," said University President Christopher Eisgruber on Saturday. Princeton did not honor Wilson, who was president from 1913 to 1921, for his racism, but did not let it deter him, he said.
“But that's ultimately the problem. Princeton is part of an America that too often disregarded, ignored or apologized for racism, ”wrote Eisgruber. This has allowed "systems that discriminate against blacks to continue," he said.
The decision to rename was made on Friday by the university's supervisory board on his recommendation. The institute will in future be called the Princeton School of Public and International Affairs.
In 2016, the committee refused to rename it despite protests from students. The death of George Floyd in a brutal police operation triggered a new critical discussion of the issue of racism, said Eisgruber.
Since Floyd's death a good month ago and the subsequent mass protests against police violence and racism, many institutions and companies in the USA have already initiated renaming.
In the southern state of Mississippi, MPs debated changing the state's flag, which has been in effect since 1894, because it is reminiscent of the former slave owners of the south, the Confederates. Governor Tate Reeves said Saturday he would sign the bill if MPs voted for a change. (dpa)
- How does Ciprofloxacin treat yeast infections
- What will happen on youngest day
- Why the antique market is not falling
- How does The Boeing Company manufacture aircraft
- Iraq is a dangerous country
- Is someone really interested in someone else?
- What should I buy during hyperinflation?
- Why don't all Indians celebrate Diwali?
- Life is a choice
- A government collapse is possible in America
- Why should you join a startup?
- Why should CA students fail
- How do I start a crowdfunding business
- Can someone buy the White House?
- Why is symmetry so important in physics
- Why are countries shedding US debt
- How has slavery helped the economy
- Where is the best massage in Los Angeles
- Do you love your hometown
- Which was the first TV show
- Can Asians speak English without an accent
- Which film defines your generation
- How many Germans were expelled after the Second World War
- How many steadfast friends do you have