Koala berries thrive in Australia
Symbolic animal of Australia: Koalas in need: Australia wants to put koala bears under protection
They sleep almost 20 hours a day: koalas. They are endangered in some regions of Australia. Therefore the Australian government wants to protect the marsupials better.
Environment Secretary Tony Burke said Monday threatened gray marsupial populations should be placed on Australia's list of endangered species. The koalas are threatened in two states: New South Wales and Queensland. But they are also in danger in the capital region of Canberra because their habitats are getting smaller and smaller. Cars, dogs and diseases also endangered the population. The animals are "clearly in trouble, so we have to do something," said Burke.
Koalas in Australia: their populations are not at risk everywhere
The koalas are animals with high symbolic power for Australia and have a "special place" in society, said Burke. In other areas in the southern states of Victoria and New South Wales, however, the cute marsupials are thriving so well that the authorities have to intervene to curb their uncontrolled spread.
At the beginning of the 20th century, several million koalas still lived in Australia. Experts estimate the number of marsupials, which sleep around 20 hours a day and feed exclusively on eucalyptus leaves, at just 43,000 to a few hundred thousand specimens today. Last year, an official study warned of the increasing endangerment of koalas. afp
- Should we give more to charity
- How do Mexicans feel about New Mexico?
- What is a knowledge economy
- What are Overrated Places in San Diego
- What are currently D-students
- Is there sexism against men in schools?
- What are some traditional foods from Turkey
- Bitcoin could ever stabilize
- How does monetary policy affect the economy
- How to cure hoarding quickly
- Where can I plan my Christmas party
- Do you like rimming
- How bad is lobster meat
- NASA employs industrial engineers
- What is a wide area network
- Would Arab women go out with Turkish men?
- Are the Hawaiian Islands tropical or sub-tropical?
- Is the SAT bullshit
- Which companies should employ an outsourcing strategy?
- Decent jobs have less salary
- Why doesn't Saudi allow dual citizenship?
- Why do people buy broken iPhones
- Is it dangerous to hike in Los Angeles?
- Why are silicon wafers round