What do CEO performance reviews look like
Performance appraisal: tips for employees
Feedback is not only welcomed by employees of German companies, but is often also actively requested. A survey by the Institute for Conflict Management and Leadership Communication (IKuF) shows that only 45 percent of the employees surveyed are satisfied with the feedback from their boss. It is all the more astonishing that many employees use the annual or quarterly performance reviews perceive them as uncomfortable and annoying. Because these conversations are nothing more than Feedback directly from the boss. So that the performance appraisal is constructive and helps you as an employee, not only appropriate preparation, but also the appropriate attitude are important ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Performance appraisal: Opportunity for employees and supervisors
The performance appraisal perspective is essential for success. If you only see this as a necessary evil, you will enter the conversation with a correspondingly negative attitude. Instead, however, focus on the opportunities that the performance appraisal offers you, both your attitude and the situation will change.
With a positive and opportunity-oriented attitude, you can approach the preparation in the best way possible. The first step is the Performance appraisal methodology important. If it is a so-called downside assessment, your only point of contact is your boss. In the case of an equal assessment, on the other hand, your colleagues also play a role and contribute at least partially to your performance assessment.
In both cases, as an employee, you should not try to active influence on the judging persons to take. Such attempts often fail, but then leave a negative impression and can damage your reputation. In addition, impressions that have emerged over the past year cannot be fundamentally changed in a few days anyway.
Three forms of performance appraisal
In German companies three different forms of performance appraisal used.
Here, the performance assessment is the sole responsibility of the superior, who formulates his assessment based on various impressions and selected sources.
Here the performance evaluation is made up of the assessment of the colleagues. The collected assessments then result in the final performance assessment.
With this form, the colleagues give their opinion first. However, the final performance appraisal is formulated by the superior - based on the assessment of the colleagues.
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Performance appraisal: preparation for employees
Ideally, your supervisor will actively involve you in the preparation of the performance appraisal. This can, for example, by a self-assessment happen which your boss asks you to do in advance. Alternatively, preliminary discussions are also conceivable, which serve as preparation and coordination of the upcoming performance assessment.
If your supervisor does not approach you actively, you can talk to him and ask if and how you can contact him Preparation of the performance appraisal can support. So that this request is not interpreted as a slime or attempt at manipulation, a few points are relevant:
- Clear focus on that Ease of work for your supervisor.
- Emphasis on own responsibility and your intrinsic motivation.
- Renouncing any judgmental formulation in the request.
Misunderstandings cannot be completely ruled out this way, but you at least minimize the risk of them. If your boss does not respond to this request in advance or if he gives you to understand that you should carry out your preparation independently, the ball is up to you.
As for the optimal preparation of the performance appraisal numerous factors play a role, we have summarized the most important ones in a checklist. You can download this as a PDF as usual. The following factors are relevant:
- Evidence of your performance since the last assessment.
- Review of the results the last assessment.
- Your concrete goals for the next time.
- Your parent Career goals.
- Your Highlights and positive aspects of the job.
- potential for improvement and needs in the job.
- Concrete proposals for improvement.
- Aspects to which you have the Feedback Your boss's need.
- Your Strengthen and favorite tasks.
- Your weaknesses and problematic tasks.
- Concrete Further education and training requests.
- Possibly critical issues and appropriate arguments.
- References and receipts, also from and through colleagues.
- Questions to your boss to unclear issues.
- Own Project ideas and suggestions.
- Feedback - positive as well as negative - for your boss.
- Constructive Approaches to change for the team.
- Necessary Remodeling at work.
- Wishes for upcoming projects and tasks.
- Argumentsthat underpin these wishes in a professional manner.
- Willingness to compromise and possible restrictions.
- Minimum standards, fixed goals and topics.
- Standards and key figures for performance measurement.
- The formal criteria the performance appraisal.
- Alternatives to your wishes and suggestions.
The formal criteria and the methodology of the performance appraisal should be visible or at least accessible to all employees in German companies. In addition to the review of the last performance appraisal, there is a detailed study of these criteria In preparation, of course, it is a must.
The objectives of the performance appraisal
For a successful performance appraisal, the aims not to be lost sight of. That is of course in the foreground Feedback for the employeewho should receive constructive feedback about his performance in the workplace as well as his social behavior, which can have a positive effect on motivation and satisfaction.
The list does not end there, however, because the goals and advantages of a performance appraisal are more far-reaching.
- The strengths and skills of an employee can be more accurate discussed and specifically used become. It can also be a potential analysis.
- It finds a Exchange between employee and boss instead, which otherwise often receives too little attention.
- Both sides can common goal work out.
Performance evaluation: constructive cooperation instead of surprises
In addition to the Focus on the opportunities and possibilities In assessing performance, three other principles are critical to success. All of them affect both employees and superiors. If you do your part, success is not guaranteed, but your chances grow significantly:
There should be no surprises for you as an employee or for your boss in a performance appraisal interview. Conflicts and problems should be addressed in advance and open words should be found. Surprises in performance reviews almost always have a negative impact on employees.
The temptation to compare oneself with poorly performing colleagues can be great. Nevertheless, as an employee, you should concentrate fully on your performance and avoid comparisons. Conversely, you should also demand this from your manager.
The performance appraisal is a process that you should design together with your manager. If you see him as a cooperation partner and try to find a solution that is positive for both sides, the result is likely to be positive.
It is clear that your boss cannot accommodate all of your requests. thats why Your willingness to compromise a decisive factor for the constructive course and the successful completion of the performance appraisal for both sides.
The trick is to find the fine line between a self-confident, compromise-ready demeanor and an arrogant demeanor. If you succeed - and work together with your boss - the performance appraisal can not only be good, but also help you advance in your career.
This might interest you
Tips and strategies on related topics can be found here:
- How is the personnel requirement determined
- Why is Singapore part of the Sinosphere
- How safe is Nassau in the Bahamas
- What does the Bible say about itself
- Does social media affect family relationships?
- Who can defeat Franklin Richards
- Why is it important to have a YouTube channel
- How is it that Asian eyes are so slanted
- What do you like about a pizza
- How do I remove a turmeric stain
- What are some introverted life hacks
- What do hands in pockets symbolize?
- What is your favorite answer
- How do I heal a swollen finger
- What is the secret after death
- Where are illegal immigrants to America
- Have you ever shouted at something random
- Why does my dog lick my cat
- What do predecessors mean in Microsoft Project
- What are some famous German native foods
- Why are some countries sparsely populated
- Why is Ghana poor and undeveloped
- Are you proud of your mother tongue?
- How can I get remote writes