How difficult are the classes at MIT
The driving license regulation regulates exactly which vehicle corresponds to which class and also which driver's license you need to drive. We give you an overview of all driver license classes and which vehicles you are allowed to drive.
Here we explain everything you need to know about driving license classes in Germany:
- What are the driving license classes?
- Which driving license classes are there?
- Car driving license classes
- Driving license classes for motorcycles
- Truck driving license classes
- Bus driving license classes
- Driving license classes for towing vehicles (tractors)
- Special feature: driving license for mopeds
- Which old driver's license class should be assigned to which new one?
What are the driving license classes?
Every motor vehicle (for example a car or motorcycle) is a specific one Driving license class assigned. This has been standardized across the EU in the Driving License Ordinance since 2013. Another name for driving license class is Driving license class.
The background: Anyone who wants to drive a motor vehicle in Germany or in the EU needs the right driver's license for the corresponding driving license class. You can only take part in road traffic with the vehicle if you have the appropriate and valid driver's license.
Because not every driver's license entitles you to drive every vehicle. In order to be allowed to use a car, for example, a different driver's license is required than to drive a motorcycle or a truck.
This is true today: The current system is there since 2013. How to get a driver's license has since been regulated uniformly for the whole of the EU. Today, the driving license classes are also the same across national borders within the EU.
Today there are in Germany as a whole 17 driving license classes. Two of them are special classes that only exist in Germany (classes L and T). The individual driving licenses are based on certain conditions of the individual motor vehicles, for example their weight or their engine power. There are six main classes (A, B, C, D, L, T) with sub-classes: You can identify the sub-classes by the added number 1 and / or the addition E. The addition E stands for a driving license class with a trailer. The number 1 indicates that there is a weight limit for the vehicle.
This is how you can find your acquired driving license classes: All driving license classes are on the back of the Driver's license listed. If you are allowed to drive a vehicle, next to it is the date on which you received the permission to drive the license class. This is usually the day you pass your driving test.
Which driving license classes are there?
Here you will find an overview of all driving license classes valid in Germany and their characteristics, which we have clearly sorted for you according to vehicle type (e.g. car or truck).
Car driving license classes
- Class B / BF17 * driving license
This is the most widely used driver's license. With it you can drive a motor vehicle (car) with a weight of up to 3,500 kg drive. In addition to the driver's seat, the vehicle may not contain more than eight seats to have.
- The following applies to driving with a trailer: The trailer must not weigh more than 750 kg. In total, however, the car and trailer together may not weigh more than 3,500 kg.
- Minimum age: You must be at least 18 years old to get a driver's license. There is one exception, however: it applies to younger drivers aged 17 and over who do accompanied driving at 17 (BF17).
- Specialty: In Germany, you can also drive three-wheeled vehicles with Class B. With an engine output of more than 15 kW, this only applies if the driver is at least 21 years old.
- Included classes: With the class B driving license, you can automatically drive vehicles in the AM and L driving license classes.
- Excepted For a class B driving license, motor vehicles of classes AM, A1, A2 and A, e.g. motorcycles. They are not allowed to be driven.
- BE class driving license
Do you want one heavier trailers over 750 kg to couple it to your car, in addition to your class B driving license, you also need the Class BE. This means that the trailer can only be used together with the car up to 3,500 kg being heavy.
- Class B96 * driving license
B96 is not a separate driving license class, but a key number. She allows you Trailers weighing over 750 kg to couple to your car. They are even allowed to drive with the car up to 4,250 kg being heavy.
- For class B96 you have to additional theory and practice lessons at the driving school (a total of 6 hours). However, you do not have to take your own driving test.
- requirement is that you have a class B driving license.
* The classes BF17 and B96 are not separate driving license classes. They are subordinate to class B.
Driving license classes for motorcycles
- Class A driving license
With the driver's license you can all two- and three-wheeled motorbikesr drive. Classes AM, A1 and A2 are included.
- Class AM driving license
The AM driving license class allows small and light motorcycles to be driven. It is therefore also called Scooter or moped driving license designated. It applies to two-wheeled and three-wheeled motorcycles, but also to four-wheeled light motor vehicles. You must always meet the following conditions:
- Applies to light two-wheel motorcycles: You may have a design-related Top speed of 45 km / h to have. The cubic capacity is allowed at most 50 cubic centimeters and the performance at most 4 kW amount, an electric motor is also possible. This also includes, for example, bicycles with auxiliary engines. Common vehicle types include Mopeds, scooters and mokicks.
- This applies to light three-wheeled vehicles: You can have a maximum of two seats. The top speed must be on 45 km / h be throttled. With them, too, the displacement is allowed maximum 50 cubic centimeters and the performance 4 kW be. The empty weight must not exceed 279 kg.
- The following applies to four-wheeled vehicles: The maximum speed is allowed 45 km / h do not exceed and the performance maximum 6 kW be. The empty vehicle may also not exceed 425 kg to weigh.
- A1 driving license
The A1 driving license allows drivers aged 16 and over to drive a two- or three-wheel motorcycle. Therefore the class A1 is also called Motorcycle license designated. In order for you to be allowed to ride a motorcycle, it has to be certain structural conditions fulfill:
- The Stroke volume may maximum 125 cubic centimeters be. The driver's license is therefore also known as a light motorcycle driver's license.
- The Engine power may 11 kilowatts not exceed. That usually equates to around 15 horsepower and one Top speed of 110 km / h.
- In addition, the vehicle must Ratio between power and weight 0.1 kW / kg be.
- At three-wheeled motor vehicles is the Power to 15 kW limited. The design-related maximum speed is therefore usually around 45 km / h.
- Minimum age: It is 16 years of age for a class A1 driving license.
- Included classes: Anyone who has a class A1 driving license is automatically allowed to drive vehicles in the AM driving license class.
- Class A2 driving license
A2 is the second highest motorcycle class. So if you want to ride a bigger and heavier motorcycle, you can only do that with class A2. The following requirements apply:
- You can use it Motorcycles up to 35 kW power drive. This corresponds to an output of around 48 hp.
- With the vehicle, it has to Ratio between power and weight 0.2 kW / kg be. This results in a maximum weight for the motorcycle of approx 175 kg.
- Minimum age: The driver has to at least 18 years be old.
- Requirement: You can only go to class A2 after a period of at least two years after you have obtained the A1 driving license. For the driver's license you have to pass another practical test.
- Included classes: With the driving license class A2 you can also drive vehicles of the driving license classes AM and A1.
Truck driving license classes
- Class C driving license
With a class C driving license you can Trucks over 3,500 kg drive. Everyone is there truck included, because there is no upper weight limit with the driver's license. The trucks are allowed for up to eight people be designed in addition to the driver.
- Exception: With the driving license class C vehicles are excluded that are used for Passenger transport (Buses) are intended.
- The following applies to trailers: With a class C1 driving license, you can also connect a trailer to the truck. He is allowed to up to 750 kg to weigh.
- Minimum age: To get the driver's license, you must be at least 21 years old. However, there are exceptions: Anyone who has completed training as a professional driver can get their driver's license from the age of 18.
- Requirements: You must have the driver's license class B to register for the driver's license. Also is a medical one Assessment necessary. The general state of health, previous illnesses, addiction problems and visual performance are examined.
- Included classes: Class C1 is included in the class C driving license.
- CE class driving license
The driving license class CE is an extension of the driving license of the class C. It allows you to use vehicles from the class C with a heavier one Combine trailers over 750 kg.
- Please note: The total weight of the trailer (with load) may at most be as heavy as the empty towing vehicle.
- Exception: Driving vehicles used for passenger transport (buses) is not permitted with class CE.
- Requirements: In order to get the class CE driving license, you must already have the class C driving license.
- Minimum age: You must be at least 21 years old.
- Included classes: With the CE driving license you automatically receive the driving license for the classes BE, C1E, T and DE (only if you have the driving license class D).
- Class C1 driving license
With the driving license of class C1 you can drive the lighter trucks that are between 3,500 kg and 7,500 kg to weigh. The weight also includes the load. In addition, only those trucks that, apart from the driver's seat, are allowed are allowed a maximum of eight people have a seat.
- Exception: If a vehicle is built and designed for passenger transport (buses), you are not allowed to drive it with class C1 (regardless of the number of passenger seats).
- The following applies to trailers: With the C1 driving license you can also connect a trailer to the truck. It can weigh up to 750 kg.
- Minimum age: You must be at least 18 years old to get your driver's license. Accompanied driving from the age of 17 is not possible.
- Requirements: To get your driver's license, you must have a class B driver's license. A medical certificate is also required. The general state of health, previous illnesses, addiction problems and visual performance are examined.
- Included classes: In the driving license of the class C1 are no others Driving license classes included.
- Class C1E driving license
The driving license class C1E is an extension of the driving license of the class C1. So driving is one Class C1 truck in combination with a heavier trailers allowed. The trailer may then more than 750 kg to weigh. Alternatively, you can combine a class B vehicle (car) with a trailer over 3,500 kg. The maximum weight is allowed in both combinations up to 12,000 kg be.
- Please note: The total weight of the trailer (with load) must not be as heavy as the empty towing vehicle.
- Minimum age: The minimum age for the license extension is 18 years.
- Requirement: You must already have a C1 driving license.
- Included classes: If you pass the driving test, you automatically have a driving license for classes BE and D1E (only if you have previously owned class D1).
Bus driving license classes
- Class D driving license
The class D driver's license allows you to buses and to drive other vehicles that are used for the carriage of more than eight people (next to the driver) are built and designed.
- The following applies to trailers: You can also connect a trailer to the vehicle. It can weigh up to 750 kg at most.
- Requirements: To get your driver's license, you must have a class B driver's license. You will also need a medical certificate showing that you meet the physical requirements. For this, the general state of health, previous illnesses, addiction problems and visual performance are decisive.
- Minimum age: You must be at least 24 years old. In exceptional cases you can get your driving license from the age of 18, for example if you are training to be a professional driver.
- Included classes: Class D1 is included in the class D driving license.
- Validity period: The bus driver's license is always valid for five years. Then you have to submit a new medical certificate to extend the driver's license for another five years.
- Class DE driving license
Do you want one heavier trailers to connect to your transport vehicle, you need the DE class extension. This means that trailers with a total weight of more than 750 kg allowed.
- Requirements: In order to obtain the DE driver's license, you must already have a class D driver's license.
- Minimum age: You can get the DE driver's license from the age of 24.
- Included classes: When you pass the driving test, you automatically have a driving license for classes BE and D1E.
- Class D1 driving license
The D1 driving license is on smaller buses designed. He allows you to take a bus with you eight to 16 passengers to drive. The bus is allowed up to eight meters long be. You can also do one Trailers weighing up to 750 kg couple to the bus.
- Requirements: To get the D1 driving license, a class B driving license is required.
- Minimum age: You must be at least 21 years old.
- Exception: You can get your driver's license at the age of 18, for example if you are training to be a professional driver.
- Validity period: The class D1 bus driver's license is always valid for five years. With a new medical certificate, you can then extend your driving license for another five years.
- Included classes: No other classes are included in the D1 driving license.
- D1E class driving license
The driving license class D1E is an extension of the driving license class D1. This makes driving one Transport vehicle (bus) of class D1 in combination with a heavier trailers allowed. The trailer may then over 750 kg being heavy.
- Requirements: To get the D1E driver's license, you must already have a D1 driver's license.
- Minimum age: You must be at least 21 years old.
- Included classes: If you pass the driving test, you automatically have the driving license classes BE and C1E (only if you have previously owned class C1).
Driving license classes for towing vehicles (tractors)
- Class L driving license
Class L is a special class in Germany. You can use it Tractors up to 40 km / h drive, for example Tractors or others agricultural or forestry vehicles.
- With the L class, you can drive vehicles that are designed for the Forestry or agriculture are determined.
- The following applies to trailers: If the vehicles have a trailer, the vehicle may only have one Top speed of 25 km / h to reach.
- Includes: Operate forklifts, industrial trucks and self-propelled mixer feeders up to 25 km / h.
- Minimum age: The class L can from 16 years be made. Then it is valid indefinitely.
- Class T driving license
Class T is also its own special class that is only available in Germany. You can use it Tractors up to 60 km / h drive. This is also true with trailer.
- As in class L, you can use your driver's license to drive vehicles that are suitable for the Forestry or agriculture are determined.
- The following applies to drivers under the age of 18: The maximum speed of the vehicles may only be due to the design 40 km / h be.
- Includes: self-propelled machines and mixer feeders up to 40 km / h.
- Minimum age: You can get the driver's license from the age of 16 years acquire.
Special feature: driving license for mopeds
Mopeds are single-track bicycles with an auxiliary engine. Due to the design, they can only reach a maximum speed of maximum 25 km / h to reach. Since they are light and can only go slowly, you need no driving licensein order to be able to use them in road traffic.
Important: If you do not have a valid driver's license, you have to have a so-called Inspection certificate lead with you. Anyone who already has a driving license (regardless of which one) does not need to have a test certificate with them, but rather the driver's license.
In order to receive the test certificate, you must have a theoretical driving test consist. To do this, you have to complete six theory lessons and at least 90 minutes of practical experience (driving lesson) at a driving school. You can take the exam no earlier than three months before the minimum age. The Minimum age for driving a moped is 15 years.
Which old driver's license class should be assigned to which new one?
The EU driving license classes have driving licenses all over Europe unified. As part of the reform in the year 2013 Therefore, all old driving license classes were combined with new ones. Every old driver's license is now assigned to a comparable new driver's license class.
This applies: All old driver's licenses (gray or pink) are still in Germany valid until January 19, 2033. Until then, you should have your old driving license exchanged for a new EU driving license in card format. You can do this at the responsible road traffic office or usually in the citizens' office.
The old driving license classes were sorted by numbers (1, 1a, 1b, 2, 3, 4, 5). The new driver license classes are by letternamed (A, B, C, D, L, T). Here you will find an overview of which old driving license class corresponds to which new one.
- Driving license class 1 now corresponds to the class A.
- Driving license class 1a now corresponds to the class A2
- Driving license class 1b now corresponds to the class A1
- Driving license class 2 now corresponds to the classes C, CE or D, DE, D1, D1E (depending on total weight and transport)
- Driving license class 3 now corresponds to the classes B, BE, C1, C1E or D, DE, D1, D1E (depending on total weight and transport)
- Driving license class 4 now corresponds to the class AT THE
- Driving license class 5 now corresponds to the class L.
Get the right driver's license
Now you know which driving license classes are available in Germany. You can also find out where to look on your driver's license to know which vehicles you can drive with it. If you also want to get a driving license for a certain vehicle that you are not yet allowed to drive, you have to get the appropriate driver's license: Our guide explains what you need to consider.
Your Allianz Direct team wishes you a good trip!
Calculate car insurance
It's worth changing: Get the affordable Allianz Direct car insurance now.Calculate my contribution
- Will science and religion ever meet
- What is the poorest region in Serbia
- Why is tarot reading considered bad
- What is a First Time Home Buyer
- Breast cancer can affect your eyes
- How can I buy a domain name
- What does an IT consultant actually do
- How is cgpa calculated at SVNIT
- Why does my husband avoid engagement
- What is good English?
- Smart people get lazy
- Are there date palms in Rajasthan deserts
- What are the salaries in Uruguay
- Are Brazilians considered to be white or Latin American?
- Are Chinese in Hong Kong friendly
- Will they allow alcohol at the airport
- What is the annual income of CA.
- How can I learn street fashion photography
- What is the name of a katana sheath
- Indian economic service is undervalued
- Can I cash an insurance check?
- How much sex is normal for couples
- What are the most overpaid professions
- Is investment banking Halal or Haram