Masturbation causes memory loss
Crazy! Ten totally weird historical misconceptions about sex
It is clear that humanity has not always been as open, tolerant and, above all, informed as it is today. But those sex misconceptions from history are awesome!
1. Scientists once believed that there is a tiny little man in every sperm cell
In the 17th and 18th centuries, scientists believed in the popular theory of preformationism, which postulated the idea that every sperm contained a miniature individual within it.
2. People believed that masturbation was the cause of most unexplained diseases
In the 18th century, many so-called doctors believed that masturbation was responsible for a number of diseases including blindness, epilepsy, fainting, memory loss, and even sudden growth spurts in children.
3. Small breasts should also be the result of masturbation
In 1875, Dr. John Cowan in The Science of New Life stated that women who masturbated regularly were likely to have glandular development problems, and one of the side effects of this condition was poor breast development.
4. Muesli and corn flakes were invented, among other things, to prevent people from masturbating
John Harvey Kellogg (yes, THE Kellogg) was an ardent anti-masturbation activist and anti-sex in general. He even wrote a book of 39 side effects caused by masturbation. Certain foods, such as meat, caused him to increase sexual desire, while other foods, such as grains, reduced this urge. So he came to the conclusion that the secret to a healthier life was to focus on diet, and throughout his life he developed a variety of different breakfast cereals.
5. Hysteria, which was considered a mental disorder for women until the 1950s, was supposedly caused by the uterus trying to move around the body
According to the recommendations of Hippocrates in 460 BC The condition could be remedied by sniffing a small bottle filled with aromatic salts. The pungent smell of the salts would bring the uterus back to its rightful place.
6. Hysteria has long been considered a legitimate condition and one of its many treatments included "physician-assisted" masturbation, which led to the invention of the vibrator
Doctors in the 19th century found that sexually frustrated women had their genitals massaged - but their hands cramped! A mechanical alternative followed, and finally the first electric vibrator.
7. It was also once believed that women should not work in the food industry or be around certain products during menstruation because their blood was supposedly toxic
In 1919, Dr. Bela Schick Austria developed the concept of menotoxin, a toxic substance in menstrual blood. Because of this, the doctor believed women who were menstruating should not work with bread dough, beer, wine, or even flowers, as the poison would completely ruin these products.
8. People also believed that a woman could only get pregnant if sex was voluntary
This myth can be found in legal texts from the 16th century. But as early as the 19th century, Dr. Samuel Farr's book on medical jurisprudence stated, "Without lustful arousal or the experience of pleasure during the carnal act, pregnancy cannot arise at all. So, if rape has actually occurred, the woman cannot become pregnant."
9. Stress from learning could damage the uterus
In the 19th century, Henry H. Clark, a member of Harvard University of Medicine, wrote that women could not handle the same knowledge as men and that if they wanted to educate they could challenge their brains to “deactivate their wombs "could lead.
10. Scientists once believed that menopause occurs because men did not find older women attractive
In 2013, along with Richard Morton and Jonathan Stone of McMaster University in Canada, biologist Rama Singh became famous for the wrong reasons when they published a study showing that older women through menopause became sterile because men stopped them found attractive.
- What is brunch in the kitchen
- How do you rate unemployment
- How long do teenagers sleep when they are depressed
- How has Cuban culture changed Miami
- How does climate change work
- Why should women get an education
- What an emotion is anger mixed with fear
- Why am I always so restless
- What well-paying jobs can I get
- Acetone is non-toxic
- Slaughterhouses are as bad as people say
- Are white Brazilians friends with black Brazilians?
- Wearing heels increases the size of your hips
- At what age do men usually marry
- How is the personnel requirement determined
- Are people with higher IQs better programmers
- What is the biggest factor in longevity
- What do Russians think of Romanians
- How do millennials ruin the workforce
- What is a base register
- What are some misunderstandings about Poland
- Which cities have the best street meat
- Sicily is part of Italy
- What is the code quality of YouTube