How do I advance my career
Career advancement: eleven golden rules for a career
Success in the job does not fall from the sky. However, those wishing to move up must internalize some principles in order to be able to take their professional fate into their own hands. Here are the most important tips from motivational speakers, career coaches and HR professionals.
1. Gain experience
“Unlike about ten years ago, international experience and internships are an absolute must for anyone who wants to advance their careers. This is also due to the fact that other skills are in demand today, ”says Sörge Drosten, managing director of the personnel consultancy Kienbaum Executive Consultants International GmbH. “Large companies operate internationally, which is why you need intercultural understanding for the relevant regions. In addition, the management of virtual teams - i.e. employees who are not physically on site - is becoming increasingly important. ”According to Drosten, these skills can only be acquired“ on the job ”and on site abroad. "Job rotation in a large company also helps to understand organizations as a whole," says the expert.
2. Develop a flexible strategy
In the past, careers could be planned, today they are only possible to a limited extent. "Nobody can expect to advance more or less automatically two years after starting a job at a company," says career coach and bestselling author Martin Wehrle. In his opinion, it makes sense to have a so-called plan B ready for the next few years when starting a new job. “You always have to ask yourself: What do I do if I don't get promoted in this company? A career alternative is not only a permanent position at a competing company, but also going abroad, where my skills may be particularly in demand. The path to self-employment can also be a sensible alternative. "
3. Invest time in networks
Contacts that are made at training courses, congresses and evening events, as well as existing contacts with former colleagues and superiors, are of inestimable value for professional advancement. “It is crucial that the contacts are as widely spread as possible and not limited to the company in which you are currently working,” says Wehrle. People who have a wide range of professional contacts are more successful than others, as is also proven by an American study, according to which more than half of all engineers found a new job through a personal connection. Only 16 percent of the respondents described the intensity of the connection as "regular". In this case, mass comes before class.
- Should we give more to charity
- Albania has internet
- What should Americans know about Ivanka Trump
- Differences in assets or liability
- Why do Filipinos like to eat jollibee
- What are typical office hours
- Why is life so simple
- Can Nepali work in Singapore
- Which generation suffers the most
- What are your favorite food colors
- Why don't people like interracial dating
- How do you respond to cat calls
- Why are leafy vegetables difficult to digest
- What did you see as a child
- How can I go to Germany 1
- National debt relief is worth it
- How does the economy work in India
- Includes civil engineering math
- What are unexpected life events
- Which startup should I join in Bangalore?
- What is it like to live in Belgium?
- Why do I feel like a sissy
- Why are wages so low in Mexico?
- Are beans harmful to dogs