Are testosterone boosters worth it
Scientifically proven: 9 methods that will increase your testosterone
Obesity, muscle loss, listlessness, depression, loss of libido.
If you think "testosterone increase" now, you are thinking correctly.
More testosterone means more pleasure. At work, sport, sex, on Life.
In this article you will learn 9 scientifically proven methods that increase your testosterone - without doping.
This is part 4 of the article and podcast series on testosterone.
For best results, you should also read the other articles.
Measurably more testosterone in 8 weeks: 9 natural testosterone boosters
Natural solutions that increase your testosterone can be found in one of the following three areas:
- the right lifestyle
- the right training
- the right nutrients
TheLifestyle factors are at the forefront, especially the things we stress ourselves with every day. This is where the greatest leverage for real progress lies. This is where the focus lies in Part 3 of this series of articles.
In this article, you will learn how to work out should if you want to increase your testosterone.
When we determinednutrient If there is a lack of it, the level of hormones that make us strong, slim and fit also drops. You can also find out now which nutrients have been shown to increase your testosterone and which dose is effective.
With the right measures, you can expect measurable results in about 8 weeks. (In part 2 you will learn how to correctly determine your testosterone level.)
Boost Testosterone # 1 - Heavy Weight Training
Proper strength training, the “R” in the M.A.R.K. Formula, is one of the most effective ways to stimulate your body's testosterone production.
Weight training with heavy weights helps.
By the way, not only if you want to increase your testosterone, but also if you want to reduce body fat and avoid the yo-yo effect.
If you feel like fine-tuning, you can obviously influence your body's hormone response by varying the length of the set breaks between training sets.
In one study, men released the most testosterone when they rested 90 seconds between sets of squats and bench presses. A 60-second break led to a lower testosterone release, but this shorter break stimulated a higher growth hormone level
A study with women came to a similar result: The shortest sentence break - in this case 30 seconds - led to the highest growth hormone release. Unfortunately, no testosterone was measured in the women
Boost Testosterone # 2 - Sprints
Cardio exercise can also increase your testosterone levels. At least if you do it right.
High-intensity interval training helps.
A crisp six-second sprint can significantly increase testosterone levels, according to a study conducted with young men. Even 20 minutes after exercise, the subjects' total testosterone remains elevated. 3
However, long endurance units such as marathon training can negatively affect your testosterone level.
A study by the University of British Columbia observed different groups of long-distance runners: runners who run more than 100 training kilometers per week have significantly less free testosterone in their blood than athletes who do a non-endurance discipline two to four times a week. The higher the training quota in the long-distance run of the men examined, the lower the testosterone level. 4
Increase testosterone through intensive cardio training - Here's how
If you want to increase your testosterone, rely on high intensity interval training (HIIT) instead of long cardio units.
There are almost endless ways in which you can design a HIIT. You will find a lot of suggestions in my articles about HIIT.
If running isn't your thing, take a look at Jason Ferruggia's Renegade Cardio ebook.
Boost Testosterone # 3 - Sunlight (or Vitamin D)
Did you know that sperm have vitamin D receptors? Incidentally, vitamin D not only affects fertility in men ...
Obviously, vitamin D plays an important role in the production of the body's own muscle building hormones.
Studies show that men who have previously had low levels of vitamin D will have a higher testosterone level if they have been using a vitamin D supplement for a year.567
Vitamin D is also one of the basic supplements that I recommend on page 6 of the dietary supplement guide to those who want to optimize their supply of vital micronutrients.
Vitamin D is a safe and inexpensive dietary supplement that will protect you from testosterone deficiency. 8
Most Germans (82% of men and 91% of women) get too little vitamin D.9
People who live near the equator can do without a dietary supplement if they spend enough time in the sun (rule of thumb: 1-2 sunny days on the beach per week).
However, if you have a darker skin color, you need more sunlight to produce the same amount of vitamin D.
Blog article: Here you can find out everything you need to know about sun vitamin and vitamin D deficiency symptoms.
Increase testosterone with vitamin D - Here's how
If you want to use a vitamin D supplement, you should choose a dosage between 2,000-3,000 IU per day.
The lower limit corresponds to my basic recommendation in the dietary supplement guide, while the upper limit corresponds to the dosage used in the studies on vitamin D and testosterone.
Since vitamin D is fat-soluble, you should take it with a meal that also contains fats. Some people report having trouble falling asleep when taken at night. If you have similar experiences, we recommend taking it with breakfast.
Boost Testosterone # 4 - Saturated and Monounsaturated Fats
Most people think of omega-3s and other unsaturated fats when they think of "healthy fats". But your body also needs saturated fats, especially for testosterone production.
You can find healthy fats in natural unprocessed foods such as fresh meat, dairy products, certain oils, coconut and other nuts, eggs, olives or avocados.
Increase Testosterone With Healthy Fats - Here's How
If you follow my recommendations for a balanced diet, you will probably already be well supplied with healthy fats.
It is a good idea if you do not get the lion's share of your daily amount of energy from sugar or highly processed grain, but from foods that are as natural as possible.
Here is a selection of foods that will provide you with enough healthy fat and help boost your testosterone:
- Olives and olive oil (I use this olive oil)
- Unprocessed nuts like almonds and pecans
- Organic meat from grass-fed grazing cattle
- Coconuts and coconut oil
- Organic eggs
- Butter made from pasture milk from grass-fed cows
- cold processed organic nut oils
Boost Testosterone # 5 - Zinc
Zinc is a mineral that is often associated with testosterone boosting effects.
In fact, a zinc supplement can boost your testosterone. But only if you suffer from a zinc deficiency.
Exercising a lot increases the risk of zinc deficiency because you lose zinc when you sweat.1011
A zinc deficiency has been linked to low IGF-1 and testosterone levels in various studies. If you put an end to a zinc deficiency, your testosterone will rise too .1213
However, an increase in the zinc level above the normal level increases the testosterone levelNot further.
If you overdose on zinc, you can irritate your digestive system and, in extreme cases, damage your liver or kidneys. High doses of zinc can also lead to a copper deficiency.
Without a medical report, you shouldn't consume more than the safe upper limit of 25 mg zinc per day in the long term. 14
Increase Testosterone With Zinc - Here's How
If you have a zinc deficiency, you should take 25-30 mg elemental zinc take per day. Elemental zinc refers to the weight of the mineral itself, rather than the compound that is supposed to facilitate its absorption in the body.
For example, 230 mg of zinc gluconate contains 30 mg of elemental zinc. The elementary dosage is declared on the preparation, not the total amount.
As with all dietary supplements, you should also rely on a quality product with zinc. You can find out how to recognize a suitable preparation on page 7 of the dietary supplement guide.
Zinc should be taken with meals. At higher doses above 800 mg you should not take it with minerals such as magnesium or calcium, because the substances then compete with each other for absorption in the body. At a lower dose, however, you can take the minerals together.
Note: Without a blood test and medical advice, you should not consume more than 25 mg zinc / day for a long period of time.
Boost Testosterone # 6 - Magnesium
Magnesium is a mineral like zinc.
Magnesium deficiency is also associated with low testosterone levels.
If there is a magnesium deficiency, you can increase your testosterone by supplementing with magnesium. 1516
However, if you have enough magnesium in your blood, additional magnesium won't affect your testosterone levels any further.
Since magnesium, like zinc, is released through sweat, a magnesium supplement is useful for athletes.
Increase testosterone with magnesium - how it works
The effective dosage is 200-400 mg magnesium per day. Magnesium citrate is best absorbed by the body. You can take it either with a meal or on an empty stomach.
Magnesium is part of the basic protection with vitamins and minerals.
Boost Testosterone # 7 - Creatine
Creatine is a small organic acid that supports the cell's energy metabolism.
Creatine can regenerate a cell's ATP stores very quickly. The energy supply via sugar or fatty acids takes a lot more time.
In this way, creatine can accelerate muscle growth and help you gain noticeably more strength during training
Some studies have already looked at how creatine affects male sex hormones. It appears to reliably increase testosterone levels by around 20-25% in young men ages 18-35. 202122
Creatine is one of the most well-researched nutritional supplements in sport. So far, no side effects have been documented with the correct dosage. 232425262728
Due to its proven high effectiveness, creatine is part of the basic recommendations in the MarathonFitness Supplement Guide.
Increase testosterone with creatine - Here's how
Take 5 g creatine monohydrate daily with a meal, ideally before or after training on training days. This is the standard dose.
Alternatives to creatine monohydrate are often more expensive, but studies have shown that they are not more effective. 293031
People with more muscle mass could benefit from a higher dosage (10 g creatine monohydrate per day). However, this recommendation is based on experience and has not yet been proven by studies. If you supplement 10 g per day, you should split the daily dose into 5 g twice.
A loading phase in which you dose higher creatine is not absolutely necessary. The only advantage of a loading phase is that the positive effect can occur a little faster. If you want to go through a loading phase, take 20-25 g creatine monohydrate for the first 5-7 days before switching to the standard dose (5 g creatine monohydrate / day).
Tip: I use this creatine monohydrate.
Boost Testosterone # 8 - BCAAs
Studies suggest that Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCAAs) can boost your testosterone, especially if you take them in close time with your strength training
BCAAs are available as dietary supplements. But natural foods such as low-fat quark, cheese and other protein-rich dairy products also contain many BCAAs. Another great source of BCAA is whey protein.
Increase Testosterone With Protein - Here's How
If you follow the recommendations for protein intake described in the starter kit and rely on natural protein sources, you do not need to use an additional BCAA preparation to optimize your testosterone level.
It is a good idea to first resort to natural protein sources and supplement with a high-quality protein powder if necessary. I use this protein powder.
Boost Testosterone # 9 - Release Testosterone Handbrake
Why would you want to step on the accelerator when the handbrake is still on?
You should ask yourself this question especially if you want to increase your testosterone.
Before you start the hormone tuning measures mentioned above, you can think about whether your lifestyle will possibly take the wind out of your sails yourself.
Increase testosterone by releasing the brake - Here's how
You release the handbrake by going through these 11 testosterone deficiency causes one after the other and then eliminating them step by step.
Tribulus Terrestris, Maca, Fenugreek & Co. - Effective or not?
The advertisements are full of supplements that claim to boost your testosterone.
These include many medicinal herbs that make you want to have sex, but they have absolutely no proven effect on testosterone levels.
These libido boosters include Tribulus Terrestris, Maca, Fenugreek and Yin Yang Huo. 33
Because these preparations make you want to have sex noticeably, many people believe that the substances also increase testosterone - and continue to buy them.
Other plants like Eurycoma or ginger can only increase testosterone in infertile people.
Summary: Boost testosterone with micronutrients
If you want to increase your testosterone, you can compensate for micronutrient deficiencies with the following dietary supplements. In this way you offer your body all the nutrients it needs for an optimally functioning hormone metabolism.
Ingestion (effective dose per day):
Vitamin D should be taken with a meal that contains fat.
When buying nutritional supplements, it is advisable to pay attention to quality. There are 7 simple criteria by which you can recognize quality products (see supplement guide, page 7)
Basically, you should eat a balanced and healthy diet (testosterone increase # 4 and # 8), consider the training recommendations (# 1 and # 2) and check which lifestyle factors you can still optimize (# 9).
Note: This information is intended as information for adults. They are no substitute for a visit to the doctor or a blood test. Please get advice from a specialist before using dietary supplements or if you have specific questions about health. If you suspect a testosterone or nutrient deficiency, it makes sense to have this confirmed by a blood test at the beginning and end of micronutrient therapy (usually after 90 days).
"Doc, just tell me which dietary supplement I can use to increase my testosterone," was my first thought when I heard about my testosterone deficiency.
And indeed: I had far too little magnesium in my blood. An unfavorable lifestyle and training errors can make a nutritional deficiency even worse. For example, those who are permanently under stress have an increased need for certain micronutrients.
The targeted intake of nutrients compensates for these deficits. If the causes are in the area of “lifestyle”, nutritional supplements can act like a sticking plaster and bring about a quick improvement.
In my case, it wasn't the supplements that made the biggest difference, but the things that I changed in everyday life. In the last part of this series of articles I'll tell you my story.
My thesis is that many people initially think similarly to me and are looking for the “magic pill” that solves all problems for them.
In this article, you learned about 9 scientifically proven ways to increase your testosterone.
I hope that one thing has become clear: the magic pill does not exist.
But the goal of looking good naked is achievable. If you stick with it.
- Rahimi et al .: Effects of very short rest periods on hormonal responses to resistance exercise in men. J Strength Cond Res. 2010 [↩]
- Bottaro et al .: Effects of rest duration between sets of resistance training on acute hormonal responses in trained women. J Sci Med Sport. 2009 Jan; 12 (1): 73-8. Epub 2008 Feb 21 [↩]
- Debré et al .: Androgen Responses to Sprint Exercise in Young Men. Int J Sports Med 2010 [↩]
- MacKelvie et al .: Bone mineral density and serum testosterone in chronically trained, high mileage 40-55 year old male runners.Br J Sports Med. Aug 2000 [↩]
- Pilz et al .: Effect of vitamin D supplementation on testosterone levels in men. Horm Metab Res. 2011 Mar [↩]
- Wehr et al .: Association of vitamin D status with serum androgen levels in men. Clin Endocrinol. 2010 Aug [↩]
- The Daily Mail: Sunbathing boosts men’s sex drives ’: Testosterone levels rise with vitamin D increase. February 2, 2010, http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1247793/Sunbathing-boosts-mens-sex-drives-Testosterone-levels-rise-Vitamin-D-increase.html [↩]
- Examine.com: Testosterone Boosting & Enhancement. 2014 [↩]
- National Consumption Study II, final report. Max Rubener Institute, 2008 [↩]
- Kilic et al .: The effect of exhaustion exercise on thyroid hormones and testosterone levels of elite athletes receiving oral zinc. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2006 [↩]
- Kilic: Effect of fatiguing bicycle exercise on thyroid hormone and testosterone levels in sedentary males supplemented with oral zinc. Neuro Endocrinol Lett. 2007 [↩]
- Jalali et al .: Impact of oral zinc therapy on the level of sex hormones in male patients on hemodialysis. Ren Fail. 2010 May [↩]
- Netter et al .: Effect of zinc administration on plasma testosterone, dihydrotestosterone, and sperm count. Arch Androl. 1981 Aug [↩]
- U. Gröber, micronutrients for the smock pocket, 3rd edition, Wissenschaftlicher Verlag Stuttgart, 2010 [↩]
- Cinar et al .: Effects of magnesium supplementation on testosterone levels of athletes and sedentary subjects at rest and after exhaustion. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2011 Apr [↩]
- Brilla, Haley: Effect of magnesium supplementation on strength training in humans. J Am Coll Nutr. 1992 Jun [↩]
- Rahimi: Creatine supplementation decreases oxidative DNA damage and lipid peroxidation induced by a single bout of resistance exercise. J Strength Cond Res. 2011 Dec [↩]
- del Favero et al .: Creatine but not betaine supplementation increases muscle phosphoryl creatine content and strength performance. Amino acids. 2012 Jun [↩]
- Candow et al .: Effect of different frequencies of creatine supplementation on muscle size and strength in young adults. J Strength Cond Res. 2011 [↩]
- Cook et al .: Skill execution and sleep deprivation: Effects of acute caffeine or creatine supplementation - a randomized placebo-controlled trial. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2011 Feb [↩]
- Hoffman et al .: Effect of creatine and beta-alanine supplementation on performance and endocrine responses in strength / power athletes. Int J Sport Nutr Exerc Metab. 2006 Aug [↩]
- Vatani et al .: The effects of creatine supplementation on performance and hormonal response in amateur swimmers. Science & Sports Vol. 26, 2011 [↩]
- Groeneveld GJ, et al. Few adverse effects of long-term creatine supplementation in a placebo-controlled trial. Int J Sports Med. 2005 [↩]
- Greenwood M, et al. Creatine supplementation during college football training does not increase the incidence of cramping or injury. Mol Cell Biochem. 2003 [↩]
- Lopez RM, et al. Does creatine supplementation hinder exercise heat tolerance or hydration status? A systematic review with meta-analyzes. J Athl Train. 2009 [↩]
- Greenwood M, et al. Cramping and Injury Incidence in Collegiate Football Players Are Reduced by Creatine Supplementation. J Athl Train. 2003 [↩]
- Shao A, Hathcock JN. Risk assessment for creatine monohydrate. Regul Toxicol Pharmacol. 2006 [↩]
- Bender A, et al. Long-term creatine supplementation is safe in aged patients with Parkinson disease. Nutr Res. 2008 [↩]
- Jagim AR, et al. A buffered form of creatine does not promote greater changes in muscle creatine content, body composition, or training adaptations than creatine monohydrate. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2012 [↩]
- Gill ND, Hall RD, Blazevich AJ. Creatine serum is not as effective as creatine powder for improving cycle sprint performance in competitive male team-sport athletes. J Strength Cond Res. 2004 [↩]
- Hunter R, et al. Comparison of new forms of creatine in raising plasma creatine levels. J Int Soc Sports Nutr. 2007 [↩]
- Sharp, Pearson: Amino acid supplements and recovery from high-intensity resistance training. J Strength Cond Res. 2010 Apr; 24 (4): 1125-30 [↩]
- Examine.com: Testosterone Boosting & Enhancement. 2016 [↩]
Category: Losing Weight, Fitness with M.A.R.K., Building MuscleTags: Health, High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), HIIT, Hormones, Macronutrients, Micronutrients, Muscle Growth, Testosterone, Vitamins and Minerals, Science
- Are carpet tiles more expensive than carpet
- What's the point of working hard
- How are Turkish women
- Why am I always morose
- What do tourists think of America
- How many countries issue their own passports
- How far behind drywall are tunnels
- Where can I find my true soul mate
- Rejected teenage pregnancy
- What are anti-patterns in Java design
- What do you call a butler
- Why is Squarespace getting successful
- Would your gallery sell my art
- Surgeons are in great demand
- Where can I find crossdressers
- Who won the battle of Berlin
- Why do employees clap
- Can you bathe a dog too much?
- Most wealth advisors are wealthy
- What class did you teach
- Can Drogon survive if Dany dies
- How is Jim Rogers personally?
- What is the future of ASEAN
- How do you pop a deep pimple