What do lawyers do
How do I become a lawyer?
Whether it's a lawsuit for damages, a maintenance claim or a murder charge - as a lawyer, you represent the interests of your clients and try to influence the judge's judgment in their favor. If you want to become a lawyer, you first have to study law for around 9 semesters, which you complete with the first state examination. You then complete the 2-year preparatory service, also known as legal clerkship, until you pass your second state examination. You then register with the respective bar association in whose district you want to work in the future. You also take an oath and finally receive the certificate of approval to be able to advise clients as a lawyer on legal issues.
What does everyday work look like?
09:00 a.m.You enter the office where you work with several other lawyers. On your desk are notes from the secretary about missed calls, legal notices, and other mail that you look through.
09:55 amYou then leave your workplace and drive to the local court for an appointment. There you will meet your client who has been demanding maintenance payments from her divorced husband for the past year and a half. In the negotiation you come to an agreement with the opposing party. Since the defendant has been unemployed for a long time, he should only pay half the amount and in future transfer a significantly lower monthly rate to his ex-wife.
11:50 a.m.When you get back to the office, you speak the results of the court hearing into your dictation machine and have the oral text written down using software on your computer. You attach the finished report in the appropriate folder and also send a copy to your client.
2:10 p.m.After lunch, you will work on a file that contains a complaint from the competent court. In this, the plaintiff accuses one of your clients that he stole several garden tools from the shed. In your written answer to the allegations, you credibly demonstrate that the accused received the equipment from his neighbor as a gift.
3:30 p.m.Another client will then appear in your law firm as agreed. He was the victim of a traffic accident and is now entitled to compensation for pain and suffering as well as additional payments for his lost earnings. You explain to him in detail his financial claims and finally give him an outlook on the further course of the procedure.
4:25 pmYou use the remaining working time to further prepare for an upcoming process. Since you appear there as a criminal defense lawyer in a murder case, you work meticulously on your plea with which you want to exonerate the accused.
6:10 p.m.You say goodbye to your colleagues and make your way home.
- General University Entrance Qualification
- negotiation skills
- Reasoning skills
- Good knowledge of people
What does a lawyer do?
What are the job prospects?
In the legal industry, good grades are very important for entry and further careers. Specifically, this means that as an applicant with at least 9 points in one or, best of all, two state exams, you have a significantly higher chance of getting a job. If you do not find work in a law firm, you can also set up your own and become self-employed. However, this is a difficult undertaking, especially for young professionals, as you do not yet have a network of clients that will enable you to make a secure living.
What qualities should I have?
What specializations are there?
- Germany-wide branch at your own convenience
- Professional approval from the respective district chamber required
- Freelance work in own law firm possible
- High starting salaries for graduates with top grades
Did you already know, that ...
- ... in Germany hiking groups are not allowed to march in lockstep over a bridge?
- ... in Hessen the death penalty is still in the statute book?
- ... a prison break is unpunished because the legislature recognizes the human urge for freedom?
These celebrities are also lawyers
Ingo Lenßen studied law in Konstanz in the early 1980s before specializing in criminal law as a specialist lawyer. He gained fame primarily through his own television program “Lenßen und Partner”. In addition, he can currently be seen on TV in other formats in which he offers legal advice. (Image: © JCS / License: CC-BY-SA-3.0 / GFDL (via Wikimedia Commons))
Gerard Butler - actor
Before Gerard Butler started acting, the profession of lawyer was his goal in life. He studied law for 10 semesters in Glasgow and worked for another 2 years in a respected law firm before his supervisor dismissed him because he was absent too often. (Image: © Josh Jensen / CC BY-SA 2.0 (via Wikimedia Commons))
Starting salary as a lawyer
What you earn at the beginning of your professional career primarily depends on whether you work for a law firm or set up your own business. Because as a freelancer, your income depends largely on the order situation and the number of your clients.
As an employee of a small to medium-sized law firm, you can expect around € 2,500 ¹ to € 4,000 ¹ gross per month. Top salaries of up to € 8,000 ¹ are possible for highly qualified applicants in large law firms right from the start.
- Lawyer2.500 €¹
- Prosecutor3.800 €¹
Salary based on work experience
Salary based on work experience
- Have fish and chips sourced from England
- Is there a military in Nigeria?
- Is this civil engineer fail photo real
- Vacation days are taxed
- Are the Great Lakes fresh or salty?
- Does minimalism hurt the economy
- What can children learn from their families
- Just in time production
- How do students reconcile education and life?
- Why do blackbirds flock in autumn
- What is universal banking
- Why is Ghana poor and undeveloped
- How do you seal untreated wood
- Is there food science technology in IITs
- Are bread and egg preserved foods
- What are the cons of playing MMORPG
- Is it Safe to Buy Gold Online?
- Wild animals pass out
- What are cameras used for today?
- What are alternative economies to capitalism
- How has globalization affected the Philippines
- What do farmers like
- What's the most uncomfortable moment in school
- What is the psychology of ignoring
- Why do most Christians worship on Sunday?
- Will dreams really happen in real life?
- Will the Japanese economy collapse
- When was the first phone invented?
- How am I supposed to learn old Chinese
- Which NGO in Bangalore really needs help
- Which places would employ 15-year-olds
- Are you with someone right now?
- What is https samarly com
- Why is it bad to be a teenage mom