Why were the new abortion laws passed?
A restrictive abortion ban for Arkansas
Abortion law divides US society just as much as the gun law. And again and again, ultra-conservative politicians - flanked by Christian religious communities - seek the fundamental decision. Although the Supreme Court recognized the fundamental right of women to an interruption in a historic decision as early as 1973, new laws have been passed in individual states to restrict this right.
In Arkansas, Governor Asa Hutchinson has now signed a restrictive abortion law that does not allow abortion even in cases of rape and incest. The ultra-conservative Republican announced that an abortion should only be possible in acute danger to the mother's life. He acted on his "sincere and long-cherished pro-life beliefs," Hutchinson said.
Now it's before the courts
At the same time, the head of government admitted that his law "contradicts binding precedents of the US Supreme Court", but that it must be a matter of having the current case law reviewed by the Supreme Court. And Republican Senator Jason Rapert added: "We must end abortion in this nation, just as we did away with slavery in the 19th century - all lives count."
The Arkansas law won't go into effect until summer. The civil rights organization ACLU has already announced that it will take legal action against it.
Arkansas is one of at least 14 states where parliaments are debating a total ban on abortion. A corresponding advance in Alabama was stopped by a federal court in autumn 2019. In Texas, Republican Governor Greg Abbott banned all abortions at short notice a year ago so that doctors would save the scarce face masks and gloves for treating corona patients and medical emergencies.
rb / AR (AFP, AP, Reuters)
- Will YouTube give us a salary
- How much formaldehyde do cardboard boxes contain
- Which companies hire graphic designers
- What does an anesthesiologist do
- How do you feel at home?
- Fasting for Ramadan is difficult
- Can I take more than one Olympiad
- Have trypophobia
- Are people meant to wear clothes?
- Lie to someone who is disrespectful
- When do NRIs have to pay taxes
- What is PR in Australia
- What are your favorite cello strings
- How many students are there at MIT
- What is mortgage lending
- What can children learn from their families
- What do Arabs think of Mayotte
- How does the Flash Barry Allen die
- Can an Indian marry a Swedish girl?
- What is remote patient monitoring
- Where was Qin Shi Huang born
- Why do liberals want equality for all
- Can you become a billionaire in Canada?
- What did King Solomon look like?