What is the name of food waste
In Germany alone, around 11 million tons of food are thrown away every year that would actually have been edible. Right at the top are bread, fruit and vegetables and leftovers that are left over from home-cooked meals. But a lot is thrown away during production or harvest: If fruit and vegetables are not big enough or correctly shaped, they are often disposed of straight away. A lot of groceries are also lost on the way to the shops because they were damaged during transport, for example. Supermarkets know they cannot get rid of such foods, so they are thrown away straight away.
Best before date confusion
The so-called 'best before date' is an indication of how long a product retains its properties such as appearance, color and taste. However, it does not mean that the food is immediately bad after this date! Nevertheless, we quickly throw away everything that is 'expired'. Most often it is worth checking the smell, and then the taste. If both are still in order, expired food does not have to be thrown away.
Food waste harms the environment
The production of food uses a lot of energy and resources, such as water and farmland. That means if we throw something away, even though it is still good, the production costs were also free. They could have been used for other purposes. In Germany alone, so much arable land was used for the edible waste that we throw away every year that the total area would be as large as Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania. In addition, much of the climate-damaging CO² is emitted in agriculture. So food waste also contributes to the climate crisis.
Status: October 1st, 2019, 12:51 pm
- How do you treat disrespectful people
- Is it okay to call Misandry
- Why is child abuse a problem
- What is a working woman
- Why is the eurozone economy so sluggish
- How do the pigs manipulate other animals
- How good is avant-garde
- Is there a varied kitchen in Duisburg?
- What if PTSD is left untreated
- Are tips taxed in the UK?
- Why do emotions often trump logic?
- Why do teachers treat their students unequally?
- Why is love a lie today?
- Why is an inflation rate of 4 percent considered desirable?
- What makes the best bread
- How good is my website
- The music industry underpays its artists
- Japanese women love to kiss
- What is the purpose of management skills
- Are auditory hallucinations curable?
- How much does a hospice nurse earn
- How do you learn about history
- Are people naturally unequal
- Get cops free donuts