Prevents hair loss from combing
Hair Loss and Hair Breakage: These are the mistakes to avoid
After combing, a tuft of hair hangs in the bristles, the hair is thin, dull and no longer seems to grow - a reality for many women and men with hair loss. But there are ways to restore your hair to its healthy splendor through care and treatment. t-online.de spoke to a hair expert who explains what the causes are and which mistakes it is best not to make.
People lose up to a hundred hairs every day. If a higher loss suddenly occurs, many wonder what mistakes they made when washing or caring for their hair. Dr. Andreas Finner advises better avoiding the following mistakes in order to reduce hair damage and loss. He is a dermatologist and specialist in hair loss and hair transplantation at the Trichomedpraxis Berlin.
You should avoid these mistakes
- Avoid a one-sided diet in order to rule out deficiency symptoms.
- Try to reduce lack of sleep and ongoing stress.
- Better not to buy aggressive shampoos with a lot of silicones.
- Don't brush your hair with those with sharp prongs and tight bristles.
- Avoid aggressive hair coloring and teasing.
- Do not straighten or blow dry with extreme heat and without protective spray.
How the points mentioned can help the hair and why it is always the better solution to first get to the bottom of the root cause, explains the expert.
Hair loss in men and women: four types and their causes
The diagnosis and clarification of the cause takes place in the hair consultation at the dermatologist. He finds out whether it is diffuse, genetic (hereditary), circular or scarred hair loss. "Many people try some ineffective remedies for too long and lose time. During this time, even more hair goes out or becomes thinner. It is better to be examined in good time. Then the cause can be treated directly," says Finner.
- At diffuse hair loss the cause is usually temporary and can be treated comparatively easily. Nutrient deficiencies due to crash diets, stress, illness or the use of medication, for example, can unbalance the natural hair cycle. More rarely, a shampoo allergy triggers scalp inflammation and consequently hair loss.
- At hereditary hair loss men get receding hairlines and women, often after menopause, light hair. The blood vessels that deliver nutrients to the hair follicles atrophy. The hair is undersupplied and no longer grows long and vigorously.
- Circular hair loss According to the current state of research, it is an autoimmune disease that identifies and attacks hair as a foreign body. Severe psychological shocks and stress should also be considered. The causes have not yet been fully clarified.
- A rare species is that scarred hair loss. Inflammation of the scalp, which can result from thyroid disease, completely destroys the hair follicles. The follicles are scarred so that regrowth is impossible there.
The hair cycle
The hair growth cycle: Hair loss is part of a healthy cycle. People lose up to a hundred hairs every day. (Source: t-online.de)
Hair usually grows for up to six years. 85 percent of the hair is in this phase at the same time. In the transition phase, the hair separates from the root. 15 percent of the hair is in this phase at the same time. No nutrients are absorbed by the hair follicle, the hair does not continue to grow. When the hair is finally separated from the root, the follicle is activated again. Nutrients are absorbed, horn cells form and new hair is created. This slowly pushes the old one up until it fails. The cycle starts all over again. If the cycle is disturbed, 30 to 40 percent of the hair goes into the transition and loss phase at the same time.
The hair arises under the skin in an indentation - the follicle. The hair papilla is also located in it. Blood vessels give nutrients to them. Then the horny cells are formed, which absorb these nutrients. The cells migrate upwards, forming the hair shaft that grows out of the skin. A new hair is created.
The hair: it grows up to 1.5 centimeters per month. Age, hormones, and ethnicity all influence this factor. (Source: t-online)
This helps with hair loss
Once you have been diagnosed with diffuse hair loss and found the personal cause for it, it is now time to strengthen the hair again. Washing, brushing and blow-drying have nothing to do with the causes of hair loss, but can increase existing loss or lead to hair breakage, says Finner.
- Restructure everyday life and reduce stress: Lack of sleep, diets or everyday and relationship stress can unbalance the hair cycle.
- ADiet change can help the hair to become strong and long again. Because the hair is strengthened and nourished from the inside. Nutrients reach every hair root via the blood vessels."It is always better, the body and therefore the hairthe missing vitamins and nutrientsthrough a balanced diet. Dietary supplements should never replace actual diet. ", recommends Finner. If you eat a balanced diet, many of the preparations are no longer necessary. A plan for the transition can be drawn up with a doctor.
The most important nutrients for the hair
In order for organs, circulation, immune system and also hair and nails to function and grow, the body needs a supply of important nutrients and micronutrients. For hair, nails and skin, three are particularly important:
- Proteins are indispensable. The protein molecule is in them keratin, Main component of hair. Proteins can be found in yogurt, legumes and chicken, for example.
- So that keratin can be absorbed and processed by the body, it needs Biotin, also known by the name Vitamin B7. This vitamin can be found in milk, egg yolks, and whole grains.
- The micronutrient iron participates in the structure of the hair and ensures the functioning of the sebum gland. This ensures the suppleness of the hair and prevents the scalp from drying out. Iron is found in red meat, for example, but also in egg yolks, grains and kernels.
The right external hair care against hair breakage
True, the right brush, shampoo, or hairstyle cannot stop the failure because the cause comes from inside the body. But you can prevent the hair from breaking off prematurely, becoming brittle or forcibly torn out.
- The right shampoo: It makes sense to buy shampoos that are tailored to your hair type. Depending on whether the hair is greasy quickly, rather dry, long or fine, you will find shampoos with adapted ingredients. A conditioner also smooths the outer layer of hair so that the hair is no longer roughened and shiny. In addition, it prevents the hair from becoming tangled so that unnecessary hair is torn out when combing through. When it comes to shampoo and conditioner, it's worth taking a look at the ingredients. Often the care products contain silicones. In the short term, these make the hair shine - but in the long term they wrap around the hair and make it difficult. In addition, due to the deposits of silicone on the scalp and on the hair itself, no other care substances can be absorbed. Scalp irritations can also be a result. You can recognize silicones by the endings –icone and –iloxane. The further up the list, the more of them are included.
- Correct washing: If you wash your hair more often a week, a milder shampoo is worthwhile so that the scalp does not dry out. If you only wash your hair once a week, a mild shampoo is not advisable as it will not remove the dirt sufficiently. It is also important to always wash the shampoo well so that no greasy residues remain and clog the pores, says Finner.
- The right styling: The brush or comb should have wide rounded teeth. Wild boar bristles are often recommended for straightening hair, but are counterproductive in the long term. The hair's outer cuticle is rubbed off by the tight bristles. In the long run, this leads to hair breakage because the protective cover is missing, explains Finner.
The same applies to rubbing dry or teasing the hair. Rubbing together roughens the hair - it becomes brittle or brittle. Air drying is the best alternative. But if you want to dry your hair quickly, the hairdryer should be on a low heat level. You should also use the straightening iron gently. Heat protection sprays are advisable so that the protective layer of the hair is retained. Again, watch out for the silicones.
- Proper care: Gentle head massages stimulate the blood circulation and thus ensure a better release of nutrients in the short term. You can also take precautions at night: a pillow with a satin cover and loosely pinned hair prevents the hair from looking rough and dull.
If you want to counteract hair loss in a targeted manner, only the doctor can make a clear diagnosis. If it is then a question of diffuse hair loss, which has arisen due to certain changed living conditions, you can turn the corresponding screws. The hair cycle can then come back into balance.
With brittle, brittle hair, it helps to take a closer look at the care. Where is more damage done to the hair than necessary? And with both problems, diffuse hair loss and hair breakage, it helps to compensate for possible deficiency symptoms in order to strengthen the basic hair supply from the inside.
Important NOTE: The information is in no way a substitute for professional advice or treatment by trained and recognized doctors. The contents of t-online cannot and must not be used to independently make diagnoses or start treatments.
more on the subject
- Hair loss,
- Hair care,
- Regret having a cochlear implant
- What does boujee mean in slang
- Mathematical truths change over time
- What did you have for lunch yesterday?
- How do the Chinese feel about communism?
- How to avoid eye contact, of course
- How do you think about your birthmark
- How do you help life run right
- What are Scandinavian and Nordic countries
- Are fried eggs better than boiled eggs
- What bad habits can be changed quickly
- Directors can provide loans to the company
- How is college good or bad
- Can i own land in china
- How do I impress a Lithuanian girl
- Is there really something to live for
- What is traffic jam
- What is the latest business news
- Which music years are considered oldies today
- How to archive photos from Instagram
- Why are doctors paid to save?
- Is the antisocial personality disorder hereditary
- Are people interested in getting popular?
- How would you describe a great manager