Who called it Bangladesh
Rohingya: Bangladesh continues controversial resettlement of refugees
Bangladesh has continued the controversial relocation of a second group of Rohingya refugees. Buses picked people up from the Cox's Bazar camp and took them to the port in Chittagong. The destination is the island of Bhasan Char, which is often exposed to cyclones and floods.
In Bangladesh, more than 700,000 Rohingya refugees are living in cramped conditions in camps after members of the Muslim minority fled neighboring Myanmar in 2017.
As part of the controversial relocation, a total of 100,000 refugees are to be brought to the island. At the beginning of December, more than 1,600 Rohingya had already been resettled to Bhasan Char. Now, according to Foreign Minister Abdul Momen, another group of almost 1,000 people will follow.
"You go voluntarily," said Momen, calling the island a "beautiful vacation spot". Momen said, "They really want to go to Bhasan Char because they have heard from their loved ones who are already there that it is a very good place." The island is "a hundred times better" than the refugee camps in which hundreds of thousands of Rohingya live.
In fact, the AFP news agency quoted two Rohingya from the now relocated group, after which they voluntarily went to the island. "The way the international community deals with our situation, I see no future in the camps," said one of the refugees.
Other Rohingya had previously reported violence to AFP. After the first group was moved in early December, several refugees reportedly reported to the agency that they had been beaten and threatened and that they were to be persuaded to move. The human rights organization Amnesty International also called the resettlement process "questionable" based on reports of offers of money or threats.
- How can Taiwan become free from China
- Why don't the wages increase?
- What is your most disappointing finding
- What is life without friends
- What is the meaning of the currency
- Which places would employ 15-year-olds
- What's the best magic in Skyrim
- What does that mean
- What an emotion is anger mixed with fear
- Is it better to sleep without underwear?
- Why are our parents so boring
- What do people need today 1
- Has pollution affected the sport in Delhi
- Why do most Christians worship on Sunday?
- Do you like asian girls
- Most CEOs are unemployed for other roles
- At what age did you stop wearing diapers?
- Do the French like Spaniards
- Why do children like to play more?
- What is a homemade civil servant
- How can I date a male crossdresser?
- Working USA televisions in India
- Is romantic love a lie?
- Why does Indonesia import meat