Why do employees lie
How to deal with untruths in the office
In many situations in the office you have to be able to rely on others to contact you truth say. Did the boss provide any further information?Has the customer contacted me again? Who would expect to receive a dishonest answer to such a question? But unfortunately there are also negative examples at every workstation, which come along with every opportunity that presents itself Falsehoods throw around. Such behavior not only ruins the working atmosphere, but also damages the quality of your work. But how can you deal with untruths in the office? We have put together some tips that can help you with this ...
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
➠ Content: This is what awaits you
Why are falsehoods spread in the office?
For most people, when it comes to falsehoods in the office, one important question arises: Why? It seems absurd to try to trip up colleagues. If you feel the same way, first of all, congratulations on your ability to work in a team.
Unfortunately, not every colleague is so specific about the friendly relationship among team members. So it can be observed again and again how all those involved are pulling together - but unfortunately in different directions. Often there are only small lies at the beginning, but over time they get bigger and bigger. There are two reasons why falsehoods are spread in the office:
- Out of ignorance. Of course, you shouldn't assume that every colleague has malicious intent. Sometimes a false claim is simply ignorance. Perhaps your colleague answered according to his knowledge, but unfortunately it was not completely up-to-date. In this case it is important to keep the consequences of the misunderstanding within limits.
- To harm others. Unfortunately, in almost every company there are employees who are only concerned with their own benefit. An ego number on the way to the next promotion can be excellently supported by feeding colleagues false information and thus sabotaging their work. When faced with this species of knowingly and calculatingly lying lies, you need to consider how you are going to deal with the situation.
Falsehoods: stay away from speculation
It is surprisingly easy to spread falsehoods yourself, although you may not be trying to do so. Perhaps you picked up something in the office corridor or learned something from a colleague in conversation that he was not entirely sure about. You should be very careful when speculating in this way. Whenever you are unsure, it is important to emphasize this as well and not sell guesswork as facts.
There can be a short one I've only heard myself that ... or I don't know for sure, but ... help to make it clear that you cannot guarantee the truth of the matter. In some cases, it is even better not to say anything on the subject. This is especially true when it comes to pure rumors or gossip.
Office Falsehoods: What To Do.
As soon as you discover that falsehoods are being spread in your workplace, you should be ready to do something about it.
Some workers feel as if they are helpless at the job of lying, but there are several ways you can go about it.
The first and important rule is: You don't have to put up with it! Regardless of whether a colleague is fooling around on a little thing or deliberately withholding important information from you - show that you will not tolerate such behavior. The longer you wait and do nothing, the more freedom you give the liars.
We have a few Tips put together to help you deal with untruths in the office.
Uncover the falsehoods
Of course, before you pillory someone, you first need to know whether they have actually maliciously spread untruths. So before you open a big barrel and possibly drag the reputation of an honest office neighbor into the mud, you should be absolutely sure. You should definitely know what falsehood was being told and when it happened. If you still have evidence, for example an email or another colleague as a witness, you are on the safe side of voicing your suspicions.
Find the conversation
The first person you should speak to is the one who spread the falsehoods. Make sure to have a quiet one-to-one conversation. A loud discussion in the office hallway will get you nowhere. Give the other person the chance to apologize for their behavior and to change it. However, in the absence of any insight, it is legitimate to ask that you will inform the supervisor if further false information is circulated.
Depending on the reaction, you now have two options: One is to avoid contact as much as possible. Unfortunately, this is not always possible in the workplace and sooner or later you will probably find yourself in a joint project. Outside of this necessary collaboration, however, you could try to keep interaction to a minimum. At least this will ensure that you do not fall victim to further falsehoods.
Make it public
If you have the feeling that your colleague will continue telling fairy tales undisturbed, whenever it suits him, you can pillory him in public. However, this always carries the risk of being labeled a sneak and a bad colleague. But if the lies seriously affect work, this step is often the only right one. If untruths are uncovered, there is a threat of punishment, which most of those affected do not want to risk and change their behavior.
What other readers have read
Nils Warkentin studied business administration at the Justus Liebig University in Giessen. In the career bible, he is devoted to topics related to studies, career entry and everyday office life.
- Is Britain safe for ex-Muslims
- America is a hateful country
- East Germans are the better Germans
- How do I make olive oil soap
- How do I follow en masse on Instagram
- What do most teenage girls do
- What is the biggest big ship canal
- What is the greatest illusion in life
- The people of Kerala eat beef
- What year was Andrew Johnson charged?
- Which software is best for home design
- Which physical characteristics are unattractive for women?
- The heaviest kpop idol woman
- Why is the far right so angry
- Which gospel is most reliable
- How good is the Garib Rath train
- Difficult times are coming
- What will the year 2100 be like?
- What are the IT Outsourcing Trends 2016
- What are the three least trustworthy professions
- What are some good blogs about cycling
- How true is the existence of extraterrestrials
- Which is the most popular IPL team
- Which glasses contact prescription represents legal blindness