What are some cutest baby pictures
Psychology of cuteness : Is that cute!
An ugly baby is a very nasty thing, once wrote Queen Victoria (1819–1901), mother of nine: "I like them better when they are nice and pretty." The British tabloid "Daily Mail" then called them "Grumpiest." Granny of all ”.
But the grumpy grandmother does not seem to be alone with her attitude: A few years ago US researchers found that attractive newborns are treated more lovingly by their mothers than less attractive ones. The behavioral biologist Konrad Lorenz already suspected in the middle of the last century that certain features on the face of children influence the bond with their parents - especially a large head compared to the body, large eyes and round cheekbones. Lorenz coined the term "child schema" for this.
Particularly sensitive cuteness sensor
The more a child conforms to this pattern, the cuter we usually find them - women and men alike. However, the cuteness sensor seems to be particularly sensitive in sexually mature women, especially around ovulation. At least the work of the psychologist Janek Lobmaier from the Institute for Psychology at the University of Bern points in this direction.
Using special software, Lobmaier created a slightly cuter and a slightly less cute version from photos of baby faces. He presented the manipulated pairs of images to women and asked them to choose whichever face was sweeter. In the days around ovulation, women were particularly often correct in their assessment. A few years ago, Lobmaier was able to show that women do better than men in this task, but that this difference in performance disappears after menopause. The hormone oxytocin is apparently responsible for the fluctuations in the female cuteness sensor, speculates Lobmaier in the current work, which appeared in the journal "Hormones and Behavior". The woman's oxytocin level fluctuates over the course of the cycle and is highest around ovulation.
Cute means able to survive
Oxytocin is also released after birth. It is therefore possible that mothers have a particularly good eye for the cuteness of their offspring in the days after the birth. “It is assumed that cute babies have better genetic makeup than less cute ones,” says Lobmaier. “In the times when our ancestors lived, resources like food were often scarce. It made sense to take better care of the particularly cute children. "
The Viennese anthropology professor Katrin Schaefer considers this explanation to be unconvincing. “We know from the animal kingdom, but also from humans, that in extreme emergencies, the younger children are the first to be sacrificed by their parents,” she says. “The least amount of money was invested in the youngest.” The probability that they will survive is lower anyway. If our ancestors were forced to choose between an infant or a three-year-old, it made more sense to choose the older child. "Older children are usually less cute than babies - simply choosing for cuteness therefore doesn't make much sense from an evolutionary point of view." In any case, the sensitivity fluctuations found in the study are rather small. “The phenomenon may be of no biological significance,” says Schäfer.
- What are Bach's most famous pieces
- How was your résumé
- Why does Mumbai Dabbawala still exist
- Does your company value customer feedback
- What is RFI in procurement
- How much did you make with Swagbucks
- Are Taiwanese and Japanese the same thing
- Works GoFundMe in Nigeria
- What is scope in forensics
- What are the reasons for currency fluctuations
- What are some examples of interdisciplinarity
- American girls like Russian boys
- Which food best represents your state
- Stained Italian marble
- What is e-book reading
- Which keyboard is best under INR 13000
- Parents should accompany their students to school
- Has anyone tried native deodorant
- Many people are bored with their life
- Why do scammers use dating sites
- What size is perfect for my boyfriend
- Why do children forgive fathers before mothers?
- Can I retire in 3 years
- How were medieval servants treated
- What is the advantage of studying business administration
- Does God need our worship
- Trust God in us
- Which is soundproof drywall or plywood
- Arabs consider Albanians to be true Muslims
- Shows divisions good or bad
- Why doesn't my dog eat healthy?
- How does Chinese food taste without MSG
- What did poor Egyptians eat
- How can I dress maids