How do I change my IP address?
Change IP address: Here's how
Changing your IP address can sometimes be useful, for example if you want to bypass blocking of Internet services. If they block your IP, simply create a new one and avoid the block.
Change IP address with router reconnect
To change your IP address, you can use the small and uncomplicated tool Router Reconnect, which does this step for you in seconds. Alternatively, you can also change your IP manually. Here's how that works on a Windows PC.
- Download the program and unzip the zip file.
- In the folder there is a readme file in which the functionality is briefly explained again, the license terms and an application file. You can simply double-click the latter.
- In the window that is now open, you can see the current activity of the program. It closes itself after a short time and your IP address has changed.
Manually configure the IP address in Windows Control Panel
- Open the control panel on your computer. Under "Network and Internet" go to "View network status and tasks". Select the sub-item "Change adapter settings" on the left.
- Right-click on the relevant network and select "Properties" at the bottom.
- Scroll down here and double-click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4)".
- Check the box for "Use the following IP address". Here you can now enter your desired IP and set it permanently.
Determine your own IP address
If you want to know what your current IP address is and, for example, want to check whether it has actually changed, we recommend the "myip.is" web tool.
Tip: faster surfing thanks to the new router
Data throughputs of 1,700 Mbit / s in theory and 350 Mbit / s in practice are no longer uncommon with current routers. You don't even have to spend a lot of money for these dream values. You can get recommended and fast models with numerous additional functions from just 50 euros. Even with the cheapest routers, you will immediately notice the difference to your standard device, which you get free of charge when you sign a contract.
More tips for your router: Buy a WLAN manual
With our CHIP special you can get more out of your home network. From beginners to professionals, everyone will find practical tips and tricks here. Configure the router as the center for your entire home, set up the perfect media center and fix network errors in a targeted manner.
- In the CHIP kiosk you will find the WLAN manual either as a booklet or as a PDF to download
- The highlight of the magazine DVD is the full version Bitdefender Total Security 2015 - all-round protection for 365 days. Plus: CHIP WLAN tool package!
The above instructions refer to "Router Reconnect" Version 1.3 under Windows 8.
- What is expected of a senior developer
- Why do people give up their hobbies
- What are working committees
- What is an RSU update
- Can I get darker freckles
- An ozone generator removes the smell of gasoline
- What is the knowledge economy 1
- Which country is Britain's enemy
- Which country has the most freemasons
- Why should one read old science books?
- What are some hidden secrets
- What is a useful tip for parents
- Have you ever camped in the snow
- English is widely spoken in Brazil
- How often do Americans clean their homes
- What is the funnest country in Europe
- Is Breaking Bad better than The Wire
- How did Hitler see the Albanians
- Is Ethereum dead
- Why is China not getting involved in Afghanistan?
- When do the Americans say thank you?
- What happens in season 1 of Supernatural
- What exactly is lovesickness
- Why can't Roblox say swear words